Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hope hub servicing help
  • bonj
    Free Member

My rear hope hub was quite sticky, in the sense that there was quite a lot of resistance, to the point where if you backpedalled the cranks the top of the chain would go slack. Yeah, I know, don’t backpedal then, but surely if there’s resistance there there must also be some when pedalling forward.

I took the freehub body off and have drifted the axle out as per the instructions.
    Now, the non-drive side bearing is still attached to the axle.
    The drive side bearing is free.
    I also have a small spacer which I think is from the non-drive side which seems to be in good condition.

However, I also have this kind of O-ring, which is deformed, but stiff.

I’m sure it’s not meant to be like that.

My main question is, was it like that before, and that was the cause of the stickiness, or have I done that by drifting the axle out too hamfistedly?

Have I f**ked it?
    I’ve taken a video of the suspicious part so you can see it from all angles:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN57a3pLoc0[/video]

?
    The hub is probably 4 years old so has had a good innings and the wheel isn’t particularly well balanced so I have no qualms about having an excuse to build a new one or get a ready made one, but likewise if it’s simple to put it back together then I’d rather do that.

robhughes
    Free Member

If it,s a pro2 then here,s the hope video for that
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG219

bonj
    Free Member

yeah, where he says at about 1:32 “and the seal there”, that’s the seal that looks like it’s deformed on mine, but is it meant to be like that? surely not?
    I don’t get how it’s become deformed, and whether it matters.I suspect it does,but not sure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hope hubs are easy to rebuild and all spares are available. Use heat ( hot water) on the hub to expand it and to make fitting the new bearings easier

Its provably the mashed seal that has made it draggy but check all the bearings as obviously a sticky bearing can do this. Why the seal is mashed I don’t know

robhughes
    Free Member

Uk bike store for all you hope needs.
    cheap and reliable 😉
    here you go bud
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/176/hub519/hope-pro-2-non-drive-seal.html

kaesae
    Free Member

You should check the bearings for grittyness and play as well, if they’re 4 years old they might need replaced.

To check for grittyness just rotate them by placing your finger inside them where possible and to check for play, clamp the inner race with the thumb and finger of one hand and the outer with the thumb and finger of your other hand and attempt to move the races in opposite directions.

There are instruction DVD’s on you tube, on how to service them. 😀

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The seal is usually ok if theres no tears on the inner edge,The freehub drive side inner bearing is causing the stiffness. (larger one)As Kaesae says as long as there is no roughness or play between the inner and outer diameter ring,and the inner will turn smoothly the bearing is ok.

The spacer fits between the freehub and driveside wheel bearing

I usually clean the seal with soapy water and then apply some rubber grease available from automotive stores,Theres some good videos helping you to service the rear hub,but its worth investing in the right tools to avoid damaging the bearings when you press them in.

bonj
    Free Member

The freehub drive side inner bearing is causing the stiffness. (larger one)

Am I right in thinking there’s only two bearings in total in the hub?
    Or is there two on the drive side and one on the non-drive side?

At the moment, I’ve got TWO bearings that I know of: one that’s free, that was on the drive side of the axle, and one that is still on the axle, on the non-drive side. Are you saying there’s ANOTHER one, still inside the freehub, OR when you say the “freehub drive side inner bearing” do you mean the one that I have free that came off the axle when i drifted it out?
    Thanks

robhughes
    Free Member

oops….forgot to mention…uk bike store for hope bits and bobs but for the bearings there,s only one guy to use.. 😉

bonj…here you go
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/PROIIREARassy.PDF

bonj
    Free Member

yeah, thanks. The only thing I might be struggling for is the seal tool that you press the free hub on with. out of stock on ukbikestore and no other place sells it.

is this the “freehub drive side inner bearing” that may be the cause of the stickiness?
    I suspect it is, as I tried to turn it and initially it was graunchy but it then moved slightly better once i’d forced it round a bit. This mirrors what happens on a ride, but it always goes sticky again.
    Is it possible to get this bearing out, or is the only way to replace it to get a new free hub?

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey mate there are two bearings in there back to back, there is another bearings on the opposite side of the free hub, getting the free hub bearings out is easy.

If you insert something into the free hub you should be able to slide an alloy tube over to the side, once you do that you can tap out the bearings with a drift or end of a chisel.

I use a bearing puller to remove them on the hubs I service but you probably will not have one of those. if you have an old 1 1/8th” steerer tube spacer you can tap all of the bearings out of the freehub into it.

Just tap around the circumference of the bearing, for example 12 oclock 3 oclock 6 oclock then 9 oclock and just keep going round with small but reasonably firm taps until you knock the bearing out.

kaesae
    Free Member

I have some of my own brand of bearings that will fit in there, they where designed for MTB pivot points so I’m not really sure how long they will last in the freehub.

If you want 2x just PM me and I will send some out for you to test 😉

If you need any help with changing the bearings just let me know, I would also check all of the bearings, once the wheel is build back up my rotating all the indivudual parts and once back on the bike grab the top of the wheel and bottom and try to rock it back and forwards.

4 years is quite a long time for these bearings.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bonj – Member
    yeah, thanks. The only thing I might be struggling for is the seal tool that you press the free hub on with. out of stock on ukbikestore and no other place sells it.

18bike sell all pro2 spares and tools as theya re a hope tech shop
    01433 621111

mattstreet

If you’re unlucky getting the proper Hope tools, you can use bits and bobs from the toolbox. Good article here for Pro2 servicing:

cyclistno1.co.uk Hope Pro II servicing

bonj
    Free Member

Kaesae, thanks for that- the bearing on the opposite side of the free hub,i.e. Just inside of where the cassette lock ring goes on, is totally stuck. I was hoping that wasn’t a bearing, but it is.

bonj
    Free Member

Racing ralph-yeah going to go there tomorrow and then will take it from there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hope hub servicing help’ is closed to new replies.