• This topic has 140 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Honda CRV owners …oh deary me
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

Oh I forgot to add Hora’s last car was a citroen Picasso

Get out of that Mark 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

so, im totally lost now
    are we all for buying the right tyres and learning to drive
    or buying the right vehicle for the job

what is the right job for a crv? Anything cheaper than a Q8 would be a laughing stock outside school. is it how the plebs get to school?

iolo
    Free Member

All CRV owners here like them.
    Hora doesn’t like them. Probably never driven one to comment on real world non internet blah blah blah.
    Owners say they are very capable in all conditions they need and are happy, if maybe a bit boring to drive but ok.
    End of thread.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

…and yesterday Hora described them as AWD till it was pointed out to him.

scaredypants

is it how the plebs get to school?

the plebs go on their bikes 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

what, rather than travel in a crv. makes sense i guess

and it helps tackle childhood obesity, nice one honda.

T666DOM

I bought one 2 years ago to replace an A4 Avant which was awful in the snow due to the big rims and 2WD. So far it’s been great, extra traction when you need it & relatively economical in normal 2WD driving most of the year, I bought a set of steel wheels for a snip at £50. The idea being to fit them with winter tyres but have had 2 mild winters so far so haven’t used them yet.

It seems more than capeable for 95% of the situations it’ll ever be driven in

hora
    Free Member

A Picasso that took me to Bruges from Manchester in Aug?.. Apparently uncomfortable on this site from some for having offset pedals and bad seats. It felt just dandy to Me. Heck if drift clearance wasn’t an issue I’d happily drive my old Aygo ANYWHERE. oh and I did.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Bruges from Manchester in Aug

more HARDCORE offroading
    TBH, not so much angry as much as PMSL
    Still as you travel several hundred yards form the nearest beaten motorway, you’ll no doubt carry one of these, and bewtween your near-motorway and on-here advntures, it’ll get plenty of use

joolsburger
    Free Member

Hondas are fine, mine was anyway but I really didn’t’ get het up about 4 x4 it could do donuts in the snow so 100% had rear wheels driven when it needed it ie donut time..

weeksy

I had one for 6 weeks, I truly loved it, apart from the squeaky clutch pedal the dealer couldn’t fix after 5 trips back to him. In the end I got a refund. Shame, brilliant car.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’d happily drive my old Aygo ANYWHERE. oh and I did.

Would you drive it on the A640 though? Something you wouldn’t be detouring to in a Golf? These adventures you do are stuff most of us did, in lesser cars than your Aygo, in our late teens/early 20’s which is perhaps why they don’t seem all that impressive.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I’d happily drive my old Aygo ANYWHERE. oh and I did.

Bealach na Ba in January? When did you that?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

These adventures

What adventures?

Northwind

The limit of my mondeo seems to be when it becomes a snowplough and pushes a big bow-wave of snow up onto the windscreen, that’s a bit tricky. Other than that it’s pretty much unstoppable, except when it’s broken down, which is all the time. So if someone’d like to trailer me to the A640 I’m up for the challenge. I’ll check with Hora to see if it’s AWD.

Gary_C

hora – Member
    I don’t know much about cars

Quoted from a thread a couple of weeks ago… 😀

mildred

I had one for 6 weeks, I truly loved it, apart from the squeaky clutch pedal the dealer couldn’t fix after 5 trips back to him. In the end I got a refund. Shame, brilliant car.

Master cylinder fault – VERY well known problem that all Honda dealers deny exists. Needs a new master cylinder & all will be fine.

Basically the rod at the back of the pedal pushes a piston in the master cylinder & where they meet gets worn, causing the squeak. You also lose feel and the clutch becomes an on/off switch.

globalti
    Free Member

A proper Land Rover (the square sort) will also spin the wheels on one axle if you give them no friction. This is a permanent 4WD vehicle. It will carry on until the centre diff siezes due to not being designed for those stresses for a long period of time. Lock the diff though and you’ll have equal distribution to both axles, although you still have open diffs across the axles.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

That test is useless. If you had put a typical 2wd car on there with only one of the driven wheels on the rollers then that wheel would have been spinning with no power/torque sent to the other wheel. So would we draw the conclusion that actually the car was only 1wd? Its the classic pulling out of a junction with the inside wheel spinning scenario you get with open diff cars.

amedias
    Free Member

Lock the diff though and you’ll have equal distribution to both axles, although you still have open diffs across the axles.

Lost count of the number of times I’ve had to explain this to someone sitting cross-axled in a sloppy hole revving the nuts off wondering why they’re not moving…

If several years of proper off-road driving and trials have taught me anything it’s that it always comes down to the driver and the understanding of their own vehicle and how it works, I’ve been embarrassed by 2wd buggies cleaning sections a fully diff-locked wagon struggled with, and likewise I’ve got further than I expected using just RWD and an LSD at times. It’s actually very rare for me to need to lock the centre diff and use all 4 wheels on normal roads.

If you know how your drive system works and drive accordingly you’ll get a lot further than some numpty having blind faith and a heavy foot.

The CRV does exactly that it is supposed to do and for the vast majority of real world situations that’s what it *should* do. If you need something with more control then you will also need to know how to use it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Basically the rod at the back of the pedal pushes a piston in the master cylinder & where they meet gets worn, causing the squeak. You also lose feel and the clutch becomes an on/off switch.

Mine has a squeek sometimes. I will look at that thanks.

dab

I’ve got a MY14 CRV , the 2wd diesel
    It’s on winters and coped pretty well with the snow at Glenshee yesterday

It’s comfortable, efficient & carries all my family shit no hassle

I’d rather have a 2wd with decent tyres than a fully blown 4wd on standard treads

ninfan
    Free Member

If it wasn’t bad enough for CRV owners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2ObYIf_vo[/video]

hora
    Free Member

So the linked/’test’ is erroneous?

I’d happily drive a CRV on a long motorway trip etc. However I’d feel far more confident in my car. You can feel where it is, what its doing etc. I liked the original CRV. The latter ones are going/gone down the route that many manufacturers have gone. Its not for me. That’s what appeals about the Subaru to me. Everyone’s different but I wouldn’t buy a autoexpress’s top pick car. To compare a same era Mondeo or golf is mad. It shows you treat cars as appliances if you can’t feel the differences between each.

flange
    Free Member

You do know you talk utter bollocks right?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

So the linked/’test’ is erroneous?
    I’d happily drive a CRV on a long motorway trip etc. However I’d feel far more confident in my car. You can feel where it is, what its doing etc. I liked the original CRV. The latter ones are going/gone down the route that many manufacturers have gone. Its not for me. That’s what appeals about the Subaru to me. Everyone’s different but I wouldn’t buy a autoexpress’s top pick car. To compare a same era Mondeo or golf is mad. It shows you treat cars as appliances if you can’t feel the differences between each.

Does this stuff you write actually make sense to you?

aP
    Free Member

But a car is an appliance.

ampthill

A lockable diff. No offense but Subaru’s aren’t 4×4’s like landies. They are marketed as ALLwheeldrive. Not two spinning whilst waiting for the two rears.

There are almost no AWD cars that won’t happily spin 2 wheels

But for a landrover with a locked centre diff the spinning wheels will need to be on different axles

I think the test in the video is odd. If the rollers were say only under the left wheels then almost every production 4wd would fail. (does the G-Wagon still have a diff lock in the rear axle). On a Uk road ice down one side would be as likely a real world problem.

But surely know one buys a a CashCow for ultimate traction. Just more grip than a 2 WD

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cars are much more fun when you just buy the one that you like the look of the most.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My buddy down in Cornwall has had this model for, uhh, 20 years.

Stop messing about you lot and get a real mud plugger.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stop messing about you lot and get a real mud plugger.

Or stop pretending you need one and buy a normal car.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

He does. I have Twingo 1.2 8V. [no, no stripes, before you ask] 🙂

matt_outandabout

But a car is an appliance.

The ones I buy are, as that is all I can afford or want to afford.
    Some days, while sat in my grey, diesel people carrier I do glance at the chap in the rather splendid vroom vroom machine next to me and wish…. 😕

thegreatape
    Free Member

It shows you treat cars as appliances if you can’t feel the differences between each.

Maybe, but plenty of us can tell the differences in how different cars drive and feel, then have to choose based on whether all our children fit in the back!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It shows you treat cars as appliances if you can’t feel the differences between each.

As I sat in my transit on the comfy seat in a relaxed position crawling round the Manchester ring road for 2hrs a day I did feel sorry for all those in their firm riding sporty cars with stupid sports seats and all that as they crawled along at the same speed…

hora
    Free Member

Mike I thought you lived in NZ?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s a very comfy van to make long drives in.

hora
    Free Member

King-ocelot are you a OAP and wear beige slacks in yours? Use the CRV to drive to your holiday home in Bournemouth? Youngsters probably don’t sound right to you nowadays 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never mind hora, youll be back to work tomorrow , no need fo try hard to be a shit troll then

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I honestly don’t think hora’s a troll, just that he

-ly

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Honda CRV owners …oh deary me’ is closed to new replies.