Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Home Contents – M&S
  • speaker2animals

Well about to take out some of the above again and on the surface M&S looking bloomin good again with up to £4k away from home to cover my bike.

Has anyone on here had to claim from them for either a bike or mobile phone? What are your experiences?

These are my two biggest concerns. Will probably be getting a HTC Desire HD soon and TBH most mobile companies policies are about as expensive to cover just a phone as M&S are for house contents which would seem to cover mobiles and bikes.

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I claimed for a bike – an old bitsa but some good parts. Replaced thru wheelies direct with a budget of £1000 – any bike I wanted. could have had £900 cash instead if I wanted.

Very efficient claims handling from the underwriters as well.

Recommended

speaker2animals

Sounds good to me, think I will be signing up come next pay day!

clubber
    Free Member

I’m going through getting a sofa replaced (cat p!ssed on it…) through them at the moment – fine so far but obviously we’ll see how it goes when they have completed the assessment…

speaker2animals

When you say “cat” do you mean Tiger?

emac65
    Free Member

One of my kids put a hole through the ceramic hob(don’t ask) so we made a claim.Turned out that they no longer made our model as it was quite old so they replaced it with one with the same features that cost £600(the old one was probably worth about £50 at best).Took just over a week to sort out & that was mainly down to us because we couldn’t decide which one to have out of the choice offered….

resisted
    Free Member

Claimed on a bike, fell into all their criteria in terms of being locked with suitable lock etc (was a 2010 Cannondale Capo), was very swift and easy. Had to deal with a loss adjuster who tried to fob me off (but they all do), gave him a bit of spiel, told him I had a good relationship with my LBS and I was within my rights to get them to replace my bike, blah, blah. Paid up nice and quick (within 10 days of reporting the crime).

superdale
    Free Member

Do M&S require that you itemise the bike / bikes and all its components, assuming that it is built up not off the shelf?
    Or do they just need to know how many bikes and a value – do people still get your LBS to write up a valuation?
    I know it varies greatly but what premiums are people paying for M&S contents insurance?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

superdale – In my case I merely told them exactly what it was and they did not question. However I do have detailed photos of all my bikes now for proof just in case. You do not have to intemise anything.

I pay Around £200 contents only plus all risks ( away from home cover)

rugbydick

Claimed on a bike, fell into all their criteria in terms of being locked with suitable lock etc

Was this away from the house?
    I have M&S insurance with all my bikes in the (locked) garage, but the bikes themselves aren’t locked.

speaker2animals

A quote for me is about £180.00. I haven’t looked at any bike insurers but last time I did they were asking £120 to £220 just for a bike (and sometimes with a max value, such as £1000/£1500). Mobile phone insurance – £9 to £10 a month. No contest really with the good reviews their service seems to get.

toppers3933
    Free Member

claimed earlier this year for a bike that was locked away from home. they were brilliant. we got our insurance through the quidco.com cash back website which made it even cheaper.

CheesybeanZ

we had a claim last year on 3 bikes taken from our shed , just had a letter stating that due to having made a claim our bike cover is reduced to £1000.00 per bike from £4000.00 👿

vondally
    Free Member

I’m going through getting a sofa replaced (cat p!ssed on it…)

sorry what……………….? what acid wee has your cat got?

richc
    Free Member

Might be worth qualifying when you made a claim, as if its since they switched underwriter to AXA, they aren’t very good in handling claims in my experience

Personally I made a claim after we got burgled last year and it was a nightmare.

You can only use wheelies, if you want cash be prepared to write off 1/3rd of the claim. Wheelies don’t have test bikes, and if you have any problems be prepared to send stuff backwards and forwards until they sort it out.

All in all took around 7 months to sort out my claim to replace, tools, bikes jewellery and electrical items.

I must have spent around 4-6 hours on the phone per week for around 8 weeks as well, as I will call you back needed to be prefixed with ‘when hell freezes over’.

The issues might have been as the claim was fairly large ……

clubber
    Free Member

vondally – Member

sorry what……………….? what acid wee has your cat got?

It’s an alien… 😉

Cat piss stinks. Soak it into a fabric sofa for a day or so and the smell will never go – that’s what the assessor agreed yesterday when he came round… Oh and apparently it also corrodes the springs if left (and obviously it’s hard to get to the springs) leading to them breaking…

CheesybeanZ

Might be worth qualifying when you made a claim, as if its since they switched underwriter to AXA, they aren’t very good in handling claims in my experience

we made our claim last october , through AXA as the underwriter.
    the claim was dealt with very quickly , cash for 2 of the bikes and wheelies direct supplied the other . the letter waw sent from M&S money . still waiting for the new premium !!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Home Contents – M&S’ is closed to new replies.