Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • hit the deck last night
  • motivforz
    Free Member

On way home across uni campus, tried a corner too fast on brick paving type pavement and had a front wheel washout – my fault for not putting enough weight over the front wheel I think. However what surprised me was the speed at which the tyre gave way, it was fine, turned in a little more and then suddenly went. was a knobbly tyre- is this is trait? or are some knobblies alright on tarmac/pavements etc? Just curious really if any some tyres are more progressive, or if it is a property of the surface.

wwaswas

It’s all about friction and momentum.

Too little of the former, too much of the latter.

the actual contact patch of a kobbly tyre leaned over on tarmac is minute = probably only one or two side knobs worth if it’s at all pumped up.

I’ve got a ‘nic’e scar on my elbow from a simialr experience.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Done the same thing on knobblies and slick tyres, one minute you’re upright and cornering like a cycling God the next you overcook the angle and you’re lying on the ground. I think it’s more down to user error than the type of tyre.

cranberry
    Free Member

How much pressure was in your front tyre ?

motivforz
    Free Member

not sure about the pressure – fairly hard, 35 psi normally

bigdaddy

Front wheel wash outs are the fastest way to the ground in my experience. Done it on a road bike a couple of times and it don’t alf hurt…

legend
    Free Member

More a trait of 2 wheeled vehicles than anything else. Ever watched Motogp or Superbikes, exactly the same happens to them with slicks and all the skill in the world

HermanShake
    Free Member

I think it’s pretty common, but something that only happens a few times. Once bitten, twice shy and all that!

Bricks can be quite polished and if there’s the slightest moisture it gets worse. New tyres are even better at this due to the shiny outer layer.

Either take it moto-style with a foot out, skid it, lean less or slow down.

Moto-skiddy cornering FTW!

Oh and are you ok?

devs
    Free Member

Conti tyre by any chance?

neninja
    Free Member

Had it happen to me on a trail I ride all the time recently. One minute I was flying round a corner on a fairly overgrown bit of single track and the next thing I knew I was on the floor. I was really stunned as it happened so quickly – normally when I crash I have a chance to save it or prepare for it but not that time.

Turned out I’d hit a damp algae covered slab of rock which was hidden by over hanging nettles etc.

Paceman
    Free Member

Happened on my road bike commuting a few times… usually metal drain covers or a patch of oil/diesel on the road. It doesn’t half hurt! 😥

Conti tyres too 😉

bellys
    Free Member

Yer had it happen last weekend on a decent turned in to a corner that was cobbles covered in loose gravel and I’m still in pain got 2 weeks of work both arms are a mess and a purple leg. Feeling your pain.

Trekster

Tyres+brick/block paving+wet+under trees+greasy car park always = caution 💡

sobriety
    Free Member

My commute takes me past a bus garage, which is terrifying if they’ve had a spill and not got round to mopping it up…

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I had a washout going down Lockerbrook a few weeks ago. My front wheel was travelling over a fairly big, fairly polished rock and BOOM! I was skipping across the floor before I even knew what had happened.

It’s a Conti on the front, are they known for that? I thought vert pros were supposed to be the bomb!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘hit the deck last night’ is closed to new replies.