Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Highgate hit and run
  • damascus
    Free Member

Just watched this on the BBC news. Horrendous. I hope he recovers. I hope they find the people in the car.

BBC News – Highgate hit-and-run: CCTV shows cyclist thrown into air
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48146526

Apologies if its been done already

NewRetroTom

That is really appalling!

The police response seems pretty meh. Couldn’t find anyone to go round and pick up the CCTV from the restaurant, so the victim had to crawl out of hospital and get it himself. They then “sent a letter to the registered owner of the BMW”. Assuming the registered owner wasn’t a hire company surely they should be sending someone round to interview them straight away? The culprit must be looking at a custodial sentence if they are found?!

martinhutch

The police response seems pretty meh.

That’s putting it mildly. Clear evidence of a serious offence, let’s send a form around.

madhouse

Chances are it’s a ‘pool’ car and/or the plates are cloned.

Still a pretty shocking response though, you’d expect them to want to get round there just in case and before the bonnet gets replaced.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

it is indeed shocking but the driver will probably claim hardship or that the sun was in his eyes and get away with a £250 fine and a suspended ban or some cr*p

markrh
    Free Member

I had a similar response from the police when I was knocked off my bike several years ago by a hit & run driver. Nothings changed eh 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it is indeed shocking but the driver will probably claim hardship or that the sun was in his eyes and get away with a £250 fine and a suspended ban or some cr*p

We need some ‘Extinction Rebellion” type demonstrations when these stupid sentences are passed out – “Cyclist Lives Matter”, etc

Maybe some mass cycle take-over on the last Friday of the month in major cities like London…

Kryton57

That looks deliberate, on the basis he never even slowed even in shock after the hit, was on the wrong side of the road and the curvature of his turn seems to deliberately take account of the cyclists position.

I hope he/she gets done for attempted murder.

Thoughts are with the cyclist, poor bloke.

Klunk
    Free Member

I hope he/she gets done for attempted murder.

LOL, they’ll use the thought it was a deer officer excuse. As with all these type of events, and I sound like a broken record, we have less rights on the road than a dog. If we want protection under the law we are going to have to fight for it.

DezB
    Free Member

That looks deliberate, on the basis he never even slowed even in shock after the hit, was on the wrong side of the road

In an open topped cabriolet? I think you’d have to be some brand of psycho to do that deliberately. Probably lost control, or misjudged the road layout and some pesky cyclist just happened to be in his way. Why would you bother stopping eh?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

When I had a serious crash involving a car, the second question the hospital porters asked me, on the way to various scans, was “did the driver stop?”. From this I deduced that hit-and-run involving cyclists is quite common.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

OTOH, nice to see a number of bystanders moving so quickly to render assistance. Goes partway to restoring the faith in humanity.

gwaelod
    Free Member

By coincidence this piece appeared in the guardian yesterday written by a copper.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/02/police-officer-london-lost-control-streets-knife-crime-cuts

senorj

Crikey.
    I cycle past there quite a lot.
    I reckon the driver has just swung a very wide left fron the turning you can’t see in the vid. Or it is a targeted attempt to clean some one out.
    What a tosser.
    Hope the rider is ok.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks to me like the driver wasn’t paying attention as he corrects his course so quickly after the impact. Can’t have arisen from a road rage incident or similar.

The fact the cyclist didn’t seem to anticipate it suggests the driver went on the wrong side at the last minute.

senorj

good.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Hopefully banned from driving for life too.

retro83
    Free Member

Well no not really good. But better than nothing, which is what I expected.

I think the whole case is a depressing snapshot of the UK.

We have a young medical student minding his own business. Gets taken out by some worthless idiot who leaves the scene without helping. Victim has a brain injury and permanent ligament damage. Police can’t be bothered to investigate. Driver shows up to court in jeans and a hoody which again shows disrespect to the victim and the system. Does not apologise or seem moved by the verdict. Victim has to retake his fourth year of college which means he loses a year of earnings and will likely suffer the rest of his life.

And let’s face it, after 10 months he’ll be out of jail and driving again, ban or not.

The only good part is they confiscated his german whip.

Sandwich

Victim has to retake his fourth year of college which means he loses a year of earnings and will likely suffer the rest of his life.

The only good thing from the verdict is that the victim has a cast-iron case for compensation from the drivers insurance. (No charges for driving without it mentioned).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Highgate hit and run’ is closed to new replies.