Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • High Street Fell – Lakes ride – anyone know a good route/got a map to share?
  • wilde86
    Free Member

High Street Fell – Lakes ride – anyone know a good route/got a map to share?

planning on riding it in the next week, and was wondering if anyone had ridden it and knew of any routes/maps/tips etc on the trail, what to expect/conditions/better DH runs from it/summit paths etc

any info would be great! cheers

matt

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Plenty of routes, reports and photos on the Bogtrotters site

The Highstreet rides usually start from Hartsop, so mouseover those on the map to show a list.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Up from Hartsop, north along High Street, down to the Cockpit near Pooley Bridge and back along Ullswater is the classic loop.

But straight up and back from Hartsop seems to be getting “fashionable” with a few cheeky variations, as the long descent is fun when its dry, but barely gravity inducing when its damp as its very grassy.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Bear in mind with the amount of water the lakes has had in the last month it could be a bit of a bog along the top and probably be a real slog. It would be like riding through treacle.

elliptic
    Free Member

You might want to take a look at http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/ pretty unsettled/stormy looking forecast right through Christmas.

And it’s not just been wet recently, there’s a lot of snow on the fells which is now gradually thawing again… I wouldn’t get your hopes up for high level rides, I’d be looking at valley options instead.

wilde86
    Free Member

yea, been looking at the weather – not looking promising. However im used to lakeland winters and know what to expect weatherwise. I was thinking Loughrigg as a lower valley option. Or Skiddaw, for the epic-ness yet still on gravel/stone/rock ground…

Just dont know high Street so wanted to see what people thought to it etc.

Thanks for all your input. I am hoping to try get into a bit of snow, fingers crossed – its not just bog up there.

I’ll have a look at the links cheers, does anyone know if theres any ‘dolleywagon/helvellyn-esq’ on high street?

anc
    Free Member

As said above the Lakes are currently as wet as I’ve seen them for many a year. The Highstreet ride isn’t good in these conditions, to do it in winter you need it to freeze up, which it hasn’t as yet. There are endless rocky/more weather proof options i’d be looking at conditions as they are at the mo. 😉

lowey

High Street will be a bogfest. I’d pick another route mate.

wilde86
    Free Member

right ok, so the general feeling is not to bother until spring/wait til it freezes.

Anyone got any suggestions for ‘big mountain’ rides in the lakes that would be more suited to current conditions?

cheers

footflaps

Just wait till it freezes, great day out:

High Street Ridge by brf, on Flickr

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I’d normaly recommend Walna scar as a big mountain(ish) lakes route in wet weather. However I’ve not been there since its been sanitised on the way back down to Coniston so what is like now I don’t know. How about 4 passes in one day? Garburn pass into Kentmere, over into sadgill, over gatesgarth pass down to Hawswater then the push, carry up nan bield to be followed by the technical decent into Kentmere. Finish off with going back over garburn.The trails are of the stoney variety so wet weather wouldn’t be a problem. Only 21 miles long but with over 5500ft of climbing its not to be underestimated. Done it twice this year, once on my own and once with my nephew. Took me 6 and 7 hours respectively.

lowey

Gatesgarth / Nan Beild is rocky so wont suffer from the rain.

wilde86
    Free Member

Andy that sounds immense. Walna Scar is great, not ridden that since Easter, so couldnt tell you what its like now!

the 4 passes sounds like a good option, given the weather and daylight hours it would need to be an early start and a fast pace! We are doing it in a large group (so the pace may not be too quick)..

dont suppose its mapped anywhere is it?

if any one wants to join us.. your more than welcome! on the 29th.

mrh86

as above – high street is boggy at the best of times. can’t say its a ride im going to rush back and do soon. garburn pass apparently has been severely eroded in the past few weeks (due to weather), so one can only hope that the same has happened to walna scar road.

Might quite fancy that on the 19th wilde86, but have to wait and see what happens after christmas with people visiting etc. I’m normally based in lancaster, but at home in wales for the holidays. Have done most of the 4 passes before (but never as one). Pretty sure I have a gpx for it somewhere. Have you got memory map (or something else to read/display gpx files?)

Martyn

crazy-legs

the 4 passes sounds like a good option, given the weather and daylight hours it would need to be an early start and a fast pace! We are doing it in a large group (so the pace may not be too quick)..

Four passes (well, three proper ones actually) is mapped here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/north-west/the-south-lake-district/ Dead easy to follow anyway, no GPS required.

Just be aware that it is a VERY long day out and can take 6-8 hrs depending on weather/group size etc There’s not really any short cuts once you’re over Sadgill way either. The trails from Kentmere over to Sdagill are likely to be very boggy. The rest is all rocky and should be fine. Can do it as 2 Passes by just going from Staveley straight up the road to Kentmere then over, that’ll cut it down by nearly 2hrs.

High Street will be a total bog at the moment, avoid.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Wilde86 – may be able to join you and show you the ride I mentioned but as crazy legs says its a long day out. We’d have to be setting off on the bikes by 8-8:30 at the latest. If your up for it email me. ( in profile).

wilde86
    Free Member

morning mate, not sure the group plan on starting that early (bearing in mind we are coming from calderdale/york/sheffield/leeds ways. We are looking at a 9.30-10am start (…i know, id usually be up there at 7am, but its difficult to arrange/tempt people in this weather etc)

I will drop you an email with our plans, its looking like a Kentmere loop we plotted on a map. will be using GPS. round about a 16 mile, predicted about 3-5 hours.

otherwise, looking forward to riding your route come spring/summer!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Hi Matt, both me and my nephew should be up for it. May be a bit slow though; what with being weighed down with Christmas pud an all 😉

wilde86
    Free Member

haha – no problems, im sure the pace will be nice and relaxed! maybe not so much on the downs tho 😉 i will be in touch when i know whats confirmed 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

try not to get 2 punctures in the first 3 minutes of the descent…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KjcsS0kvoU[/video]

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I would avoid it unless it freezes,half is a bog fest at this time of year 😥

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘High Street Fell – Lakes ride – anyone know a good route/got a map to share?’ is closed to new replies.