Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help:tubless tyres!!!!!
  • Bikepimp
    Free Member

As above and interested in doing the above. Have bontrager wheels but don't want to use their tyres. Had been told if I used other tyres I would not require sealant? Was thinking of using continental ones but would I be able to use Stans sealant to prevent punctures??? Your help on this one appriciated.

Paulio
    Free Member

I use Conti Race King Supersonics tubless on 355 rims using Stans Sealant. They have really porous sidewalls but sealed up pretty easily with the sealant by inflating to 40-ish psi and shaking the wheel to plug the hole with the sealant until no air comes escapes(videos on the ZTR site).

Getting one of them seated was another story and I needed a friendly car mechanic to do it with his compressor, the other one went straight on with my track pump.

Not sure what tyres you'd need for your rims as my tubless experience is as above and doesn't extend to UST setup, I'm afraid. But the Stans Sealant will seal most tyres I reckon with a bit of patience.

Just Ride Along (I think) have a comprehensive set of guides and FAQ's to going tubeless.

njee20
    Free Member

If you use UST tyres on your rims (with the rim strips) you won't need sealant, but it's certainly advisable. If you don't use UST tyres you'll need sealant regardless.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

I have the rimstrips and the proper valves that were supplied with the wheels. As I said was wanting to use the ust continental race kings. Would I not be at high risk of punctures though?

bear-uk
    Free Member

The Stans site recomends 4oz of fluid, I put 6oz in with my porous XC pro's and all seems ok. Do as the Stans site says and lay them on a bucket overnight and keep on shaking the **** out of them to distribute the fluid.
    Mine are on 355 rims so I just used the Olympic valves and tape.

uplink
    Free Member

Would I not be at high risk of punctures though?

not if you use sealant – punctures will be much less likely

njee20
    Free Member

Even if you don't use sealant you'll be less prone to punctures than with standard tyres IME.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Thanks for the help and looks like I'll run the ust conti's with no sealant and just use a inner tube if I do…..

CountZero

You could get a Panaracer puncture kit for tubeless, I've got one from when I first went tubeless six years ago, before I started using sealant, which I would really recommend you use; I've had one puncture needing a repair which sealant wouldn't cope with in nearly five years, and I had the kit with me and fixed the puncture in five minutes. I love tubeless…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help:tubless tyres!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.