Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help needed in understanding 700cc/29er and slick tyre recommendations
  • vondally
    Free Member

I am sure this is a numpty question or query but here goes

I have a 29er been riding mainly road and firetracks with trail centre thrown in but would like to undertake some sportifs for fitness and distance training. I do not want a road bike as due to nexk and back injuries just about coping with a 29er.
    I would like to reduce the rolling resistance from my 2.4 and 2.3 tyres down ro something more road friendly and quicker. In this I would like to keep some cushioning and franly skinny tryes scare the hell out of me, so would like some fast rolling but still grippy tyres.

So can I run 700cc tryes or cyclocross on 29er rims?
    And
    What are peopels recommendations for tryes ?

ton

yes…….vittoria randonnuers

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks Ton …as I am 15st will they cope?

tk46hal
    Free Member

Quite a few choices! Look at Cyclocross tyres, 700x 30,32,35 etc.

nedrapier

yup, anythign you’d want to fit will fit fine. You might struggle with 19 or 23c (mm wide) due to the width of your rim, but it doesn’t sound like you want those anyway!

If you’re riding sportives, I would get a dedicated road tyre rather than CX. Keep your 2.3s for mtb, and get some light 32c for the sportives. Doesn’t take long to swap them over.

You get a bit more cush and comfort compared to 23 or 25c, and not a lot moer rolling resistance. You might find that you’re happier than you think on smaller tyres, and go even smaller.

I’ve got 32c (poss 35c?) Vittoria Hyper Randonneur tyres and I’m very happy with them.

nedrapier

ton well ahead if me!

vondally
    Free Member

Yes lots of choice, and as complete novice in the worl of 700 and so on would like some recommendations as it is but baffling

them cycloscross people talk more about tyres then MTB folk!

thomthumb
    Free Member

panaracer paselas

maybe in 28/32 mm

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks Ned good info 😀

tk46hal
    Free Member

I stuck some Marathon Plus’s 700×28 on my 29er Crests and have been riding a fair bit on the roads and tracks. Heavy tyre but you will not get punctures. You do need super strength get get the bloody things on the crests though! 😉

redx

I run Vittoria Randonnuers on a pair of Fulcrum 29er wheels in a old MTB 26″ wheel frame as my Frankenbike road bike. I’m 15 stone in weight and had no problems since I set it up this way a couple of years ago, even on fireroads and some fairly potholed back roads.

I was using 35c tyres, but have just dropped to 28c to fit a mudguard in. The 28c feels like it rolls faster and I’ve haven’t suffered any snakebite punctures or loss of grip since I started using it a couple of months ago…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run 28mm conti GP4seasons on my 29er Crests on my commuter. Very tight though.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks any other big Apple users?

jameso

I have some 2.0 700c Big Apples on my 29r. Set up tubeless fairly easily.

More air volume = lower pressures for similar contact patch = lower rolling resistance on anything but a really smooth road. All the tarmac round my way is fecked )

But they’re a bit heavy so slower up to speed. Done a few longer rides and loaded-up 100 milers on them tho, very comfy and great for ignoring potholes in the dark. If you have a tougher wheelset it makes sense to use bigger tyres, unless you’re trying to replicate a cx / tourer kind of bike.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help needed in understanding 700cc/29er and slick tyre recommendations’ is closed to new replies.