Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help needed! either from ickle women or lanky kids!
  • MicArms

My darling daughter is 8 years old and after a new bike for her at xmas time. Now all her 'new' bikes have been cast offs from her 11 year bro, with a frame respary here and there,. however, want to buy her a proper new bike this time round.

As I said, she's 8 but tall, 4 foot 8 and wears 10 year sized clothes. Current bike is a boys 24in wheel Trek MT60. Looking to try and stick her on a 13in framed 26 inch wheel bike.

looking at the Spesh myra range , but before I take her down the various LBS's and plonk her on the bike ( and spoil the suprise) can
    any ladies of a similar stature offer any other frames or advise.

Budget is £300 ish..

MicArms

Also have tried her on my sons trek 3700 ( 13inch) ok for stand over but the front end looked a little high?/ long for her.

trail_rat
    Free Member

heightwise i reckon youll be fine but as you say the top tube length will be an issue ,

girls tend to have legs long enough to cope with the height but lack in the arm / back length for the TT

rolfharris
    Free Member

Treks come with steep stems- we sold a 13" one to 4'10" girl and fitted a shallow rise stem right at the headset and it fitted fine. Any decent shop should do that for you, regardless of which bike you choose.

5'4" girlfriend had a 17" ladies spesh and it was a reasonable fit, so a 13" of those should be OK too.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

XS adults i'd say… put backsweep bars or a sorter stem on though, and put the saddle forward on the rails.

MrTall
    Free Member

Hey Mick,
    You're welcome to try Vic's 15" Myka if you want to get a rough idea, standover is around 26" and stem length 75mm so scope to make cockpit shorter if needed. It's running 100mm forks but the 13" & 15" come with 80mm as standard i believe.
    I'm around most of today if you want me. Plus if you happen to pop by with your young lady she can have a go without ruining the surprise like if you go to a bike shop.

MicArms

Cheers Steve, but at work till 7.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help needed! either from ickle women or lanky kids!’ is closed to new replies.