Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Help me find a handlebar bag please
  • roverpig

I’m looking for a small handlebar bag for the gravel bike. As winter approaches it would be a handy place to stuff a small jacket for stops and maybe a camera. But I’m struggling to find anything that fits the bill.

Capacity around 2-3l should be enough
    Width, no wider than 25cm or it will interfere with my hands on the tops
    Waterproof enough for Scottish winter use.
    In stock ideally in the UK

The Rapha one seemed to fit the bill, but doesn’t seem to actually exist. Ortlieb accessory one is waterproof, but a bit wide at 30cm. Lots of fancy looking handmade things but mostly from the States and may not get here this side of Christmas.

LAP13
    Free Member

Check out skingrowsback picnic from Giro Cycles – not cheap but well made and snazzy. Handmade in Australia but stocked in UK

scotroutes

Revelate Yakataga is 28cm and comfortably fits on drop bars. Fully waterproof (TiZip) I bought one with packrafting in mind.

Edit: not listed as in stock at Andys emporium but he might have some imminent, or try the Germans.

roverpig

Thanks @LAP13 looks promising although I can’t find any information on the width and can’t find it in stock anywhere.

drnosh
    Free Member
    LAP13
    Free Member

Lunch Box Handlebar Bag Specs:
    Weather Resistant 1000D Nylon shell – Black.
    0.6mm Polypropylene Main Wall.
    Light-weight 70D Ripstop Liner – Black.
    Webbing – Black.
    YKK® AquaGuard Zip.
    Reinforced Zip line.
    Extended Crescent Zipper Pull.
    HD Mesh side pockets for litter.
    0.6mm Polypropylene side discs gives shape.
    Front Panel Shock Cord Assembly.
    Low profile One-Wrap Handlebar Mounts.

Weight: 280g

Dimensions: 250mm wide x 130mm diameter.

If you message Giro orders@girocycles.com they are really responsive and will let you know of lead times, they are always getting stock in

roverpig

Thanks @scotroutes. I’ve not found the Yakataga in stock with the Germans yet either, but will keep looking. It doesn’t seem to be on the Revelate web site anymore either, so I wonder if it has been replaced by the egress. Not that I can see that in stock anywhere either. Why is this so hard 😀

roverpig

Thanks @drnosh Christmas 2020 relaunch though (after selling out)

Thanks again LAP13 I’ll drop them an email.

Restrap canister might work too, but is a touch smaller than I wanted.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Have a look at the Carradice zipped roll?

jamiep
    Free Member

AliExpress has an Rapha-alike for £11

roverpig

Thanks @p7eaven A bit wider than I wanted at 28cm but I wouldn’t rule it out as there is always something classy about a Carradice bag.

roverpig

Thanks @jamiep I’m a bit worried about delivery time with AliExpress though.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a handlebar bag for months, but every time I think I’ve found the ideal one it’s not been available. Now the weather has turned I really want one soon.

jbproductions
    Free Member

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for but these are cheap and cheerful.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPODSBB/podsacs-stem-bottle-bag

Well made, will take a lightweight waterproof, or bottle/beercan or lock & gels.

aP
    Free Member
    Cowman

I have a hamper pouch. But there are many options.

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/products/rucksacks-bags/bike-bags/

Fantastic kit.

roverpig

Thanks everyone.

@jbproductions
    When I first got the gravel bike I stuffed everything in jersey pockets. Then I quickly got a little saddle pack for tools, which was then joined by a small top tube bag for snacks. I’m now looking for a handlebar bag for winter clothes so I’m sure a stem bag will start looking like a good idea before too long 🙂

@Cowman
    Some interesting looking bags in there, but the handlebar bag is just that bit bigger than I wanted.

@aP
    I think we have a winner, although it’s not totally clear whether these are really in stock. The perfect size (for me) though and that splatter effect looks fun enough that I might take a punt.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I’ve been trying to find the ideal bag (for me) for months. I should have known that you guys would have it sorted for me in a few hours 🙂

aP
    Free Member

@roverpig I think our custom order came within about 2 weeks, so you could do it that way.

roverpig

Thanks @aP it let me place the order, so fingers crossed that it is in stock.

joepud
    Free Member

https://wizard.works/collections/featured-products/products/lilpresto

We’ve both got one of these.

+1 for the Wizard works got a few bags from them. Quality stuff, good people and the plus of supporting an independent business and getting something handmade.

roverpig

Sounds good 🙂 I’ll try to remember to post an update if/when it arrives.

monkeyboyjc

Although it won’t suit your time frame, it does suit your requirements. I’ve supported/funded one of these for my gravel bikes…..

belugabob
    Free Member

How do the various bags, mentioned above, avoid squishing brake/gear cables and/or rubbing the paint of headtubes?

roverpig

Looks interesting @hmonkeyboyjc I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

iainc

Watch how it interfaces with head tube and cables. I’ve tried a few and haven’t found any that work well without bending cables and or rubbing.

monkeyboyjc

The kick starter one sits a little further out on its dedicated mount, in front of any cables, as long as the exit from the flats of the bars.

bellbouy
    Free Member

I have an Orrucase smuggler, came from the states in 2 weeks. On the small size but just right for a rain jacket,  some tools and food. Plays nicely with the cables on the front of my Reilly

.https://www.orucase.com/products/the-smuggler-handlebar-bag?variant=32785756815499

kirkg
    Free Member
    csb

How do the various bags, mentioned above, avoid squishing brake/gear cables and/or rubbing the paint of headtubes?

I’ve got an altura one, solid box thing with map holder on top. Fittings are rixen and kaul which have extended arms to hold away from bars and cables. Fits well inside 42cm drops.

scotroutes

Yeah, I have a similar Ortlieb one. Not #grvlwnkr enough for the OP though.

happybiker
    Free Member

That Route Werks bag is really clever! Provided it’s not half empty (half full😬) it should be pretty secure and rattle free.

roverpig

Not #grvlwnkr enough for the OP though.

It’s a fair cop guv. I do actually have an old Altura one like that in the shed (complete with map holder) although I can’t find the bracket. Great for touring, but a bit big for just stuffing a winter jacket in.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

OP I have a custom one from Tim Tas + Rek https://timtas.nl/product/handlebarbag/
    Very impressed with it. Waterproof and easy to use on the go although it may be too big in volume for you?
    I have a no longer required Aiguille Alpine top tube bag in grey if anyone wants it for £20 posted?
    https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/bike-bags/gear-pod/

iainc

I tried a few as mentioned but couldn’t get the cable and head tube rub to something I was happy with. I ended up with an Evoc Stage 3l backpack which takes the bare minimum kit and weighs very little.

matt_outandabout

We bought two Altura from OnOne a couple of months ago for this exact reason.

They were £7 each (RRP £40+), another £1.50 for a rain cover. They come with the mount.

scotroutes

Here you go @roverpig. Full on #grvlwnkr mode. Just for you.

roverpig

Perfect 😀

roverpig

OK, I said I’d post a quick review when it arrived, so here goes.

This is a Wizard Works Lil Presto bag https://wizard.works/products/lilpresto

I ordered it on a Saturday evening and it arrived in the wilds of Aberdeenshire on Wednesday, so can’t complain about that.

The bag is a fairly simple affair; a barrel with a Y2K zip and a couple of pouches on the side, but it seems to be well made and is exactly the size I was looking for.

Price wise I ordered the optional spacers to give me a few fitting options. So, with shipping the whole lot came to £75.50. That’s a fair bit more than even a Rapha bag and they are hardly known for being cheap. But I guess it depends what value you put on something being made here vs overseas. There are other threads for that discussion though. It’s a well made bag, fits all the criteria I was looking for and the price is what it is.

For fitting I used a couple of the spacers to clear my cables, which are quite neat anyway and it all sits quite nicely.

There is a chord to stabilize it, which I looped around the stem as that avoided any chance of rubbing paint anywhere.

Does it bounce on rough ground? Probably, but not so I noticed to be honest and I took it down some rocky descents that were on the limit of what I (personally) would do on a gravel bike. Mind you, on those descents I’m keeping my eyes firmly on the trail. It didn’t move enough to distract me though.

In terms of size; it’s exactly what I was looking for. It swallows my OMM primaloft pullover thing and a compact camera. So, I can keep warm on stops while I try to get those creative juices flowing.

It shrugs off weather well enough for a five hour ride in crappy Scottish autumn weather, but isn’t fully waterproof. At the end of that five hour mucky ride the contents were still dry, but I hosed the bike down today as it was covered in crap and there was about a teaspoon of water in the bag. My Apidura top tube bag, on the other hand, was bone dry inside.

The splatter colour isn’t to everyone’s taste I’m sure. A bit 1980s. But it’s on a two-tone purple and green bike, so it fits I reckon.

Have I reached full #grvlwnkr? Not sure, but I must be getting close 🙂

footflaps

This is a Wizard Works Lil Presto bag https://wizard.works/products/lilpresto

Just ordered one after having to sit outside on today’s cafe ride due to Essex entering Tier 2 and not allowing non household groups in. General consensus, after today’s ride, is we’ll all get a bag and carry an extra jacket for cafe stops etc.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jYKmfL]Tier 2 cafes[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

scotroutes

Have I reached full #grvlwnkr?

It really needs some stupid bars or it looks like you’re just not trying.

roverpig

They are quite stupidly wide, but you are right, must try harder 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a handlebar bag please’ is closed to new replies.