Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Help, I have managed to cut my steerer too short!
  • FOG

In the past I have smugly ignored posts about this , thinking I would never do that. Well, I have. The top clamp bolt barely overlaps the steerer top even using a much shallower cap than original. So. can anything be done? If not what about a particularly low stack stem?
    Your advice appreciated.

wwaswas

what sort of headset is it?

FOG

A Giant Overdrive, the tapered one, not the weird 11/4 by 11/5 type. It had a really tall top cap which made things worse but I found one half the size in my spares box

Onzadog
    Free Member

What forks and what have you cut the steerer to?

What’s the current stem stack? Seem to remember on-one having something pretty low. Any room to machine down the top of the headtube?

wwaswas

Not sure if you’ll get a lower stack version of the headset but even grinding some of that shorter cap off might help?

RealMan
    Free Member

Pics?

jonnouk
    Free Member

You can weld the cutoff back on.

On my drop-offs I cut the steel steerer fine for 1 bike, then that bike got munched (hit by a car). On the new frame the steerer was too short so I ran it with only 1 pinch bolt for ~4years. When I got a MIG welder I re-attached the cut-off for reassurance.

Drac

FOG

no room to machine the head tube but I can certainly grind the top cap further and I might even have a still flatter one somewhere. Forks are Rebas and I haven’t mastered the photo on forum thing!
    Current stem is a KCNC which looks quite high.38-40mmish steerer now145ish

STATO
    Free Member

If the top stem bolt (assuming it has 2) overlaps the top of the steerer, you should be fine. It does not need to extend past the top of the stem.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I’ll never do this 😀

winch
    Free Member

Dmr defy and sect stem have a pretty low stack height.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Never cut my tube, can’t see why I need too?

wiggles
    Free Member

As above the steerer should be ~3mm below the top of the stem anyway.

igm

On one super light stem lists at 35mm stack
    Their El Gupo Corto stem is 35.4mm
    Might help

chrischim
    Free Member

Pawsy Bear, you must either be very tall or have never fitted a new fork?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I remove spacers to fit and put them on top simple really. Certainly not cut my pikes steerer.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Double post

legend
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    I remove spacers to fit and put them on top simple really

Always a good look:

droppinneutron
    Free Member

pawsy lets see a picture then

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, get a pic posted pawsy!

Drac

Tracey

Funnduro stem comes in at 31 mm

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ha ha yeah. But suspension forks don’t have that long a steerer it’s only one spacer high uncut. I’m not a roadie or fat tyre bike just normal MTB 🙂 Those steelers do need cutting

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

How do you post picture?

Drac

Upload to Imgur and use the BB code.

http://imgur.com

cloudnine
    Free Member

I did exactly this on a carbon steerer. I had a stepped alu plug glued which added the extra length i needed. What forks are they? You can get a lower stacking headset or get away with a low headset cap..

jonnouk
    Free Member

If we are going to flash our steerers,

Before:

After:

Cutting the steerer so shoddily (resting on my foot) was serendipitous, it created a nice key for the offcut to line up to.

It’s been fine since I did it over 3 yrs ago.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I got a steerer extender off ebay a few years back. Ugly heavy thing, but I have an abnormally long head tube on one frame and the forks I mail ordered were miss described. It’s worked fine for a few years now.

stripeminister
    Free Member

As winch says a DMR Defy stem, 31mm stack height…. I say this speaking from experience of having too short a steerer tube…

Edited to add I think they/DMR do an even lower stack height stem maybe about 28mm can’t remember its name, I dint need to go that low though.

TiRed

As already mentioned, if the top stem bolt is below the cut, you are fine. If not, a Ritchey three bolt stem would give you two bolt clamping. Only carbon steerers need a spacer above, and even that is moot. You don’t even need a top cap once you have preloaded the bearings.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

pawsy – they need cutting – we need a picture or you are a fat bike roadie

JoeG
    Free Member

Ragley Stubbing stem is also very low stack height.

spooky_b329

Bet Pawsy had an OE fork already cut for a certain bike? Or he rides a XXXXL frame 🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

90% of steerers need cutting. That’s a well known internet fact backed up by this here post 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Would anyone let Johnnouk anywhere near anything they own…? Shoddy is just nowhere near…

smurf
    Free Member

Hi

If you do decide to swap stems I might be interested in your kcnc stem

Email is in profile

stoffel
    Free Member

Oof. Yu COULD; face the steerer top, and the bit you’ve cut off, then install star fangled nuts(carefully0 in both use a long bold to go through both, which would lock them together. Ends would neet to be exactly square on though. Wn’t work on a tapered steerer.

ctk
    Free Member

Truvativ XR stems have an effectively very low stack height as they only have 1 centrally placed clamp bolt.

FOG

Stoffel , this was the route I eventually opted for. I just hope I managed to get the ends of steerer and extra bit as square as possible. So far it seems to work but I haven’t done anything very demanding yet!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Help, I have managed to cut my steerer too short!’ is closed to new replies.