Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Hell of the North Cotswolds
  • Epic
    Free Member

Who rode it today? It was the 1st time I’ve done it and I really enjoyed the 50km route. Definitely heading back to the area for some more riding some time soon.

Anyone take any pics?

Philby

Lovely day for it and a completely different route to the 3 times I’ve done it before. Only did the 50k as was feeling a bit knackered from yesterday’s road ride and lots of creaking coming from my bottom bracket.

Big thanks to the organisers, marshalls and all the ladies at Temple Guiting village hall.

Epic
    Free Member

Does anyone have some gpx files of good North Cotswolds routes they can email me please? Very keen to go back for a play in this area. Please mail to benwilliams70 AT gmail DOT COM

Thanks in advance!

ps44
    Free Member

100K for me. Top event again. How many years have I done this thing ? Can’t even remember. Perfect weather and a few interesting new pieces on this year’s route. That climb will get revisited !

A big thank you to all the organisers from me too.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What bikes/gearing did everyone ride? Was there a reasonable amount of off-road?

MikeWW
    Free Member

Was a great day. Did the 100k on a cross bike in 4.45 and no punctures this year. Thought the route was better than last year

KINGTUT
    Free Member

100k on my singlespeed Scandal, the last few miles were not fun.

However, paradoxically I loved it every minute.

peteimpreza

Just back after doing the 100km.

Had a great day out in glorious weather.

Well done to the HONC team.

That hill at 80km almost did for me though.

amt27
    Free Member

first timer, great event, 100km in 4hrs 30mins on an Spec Epic,

pedalhead
    Free Member

super day, perfect weather for a lovely bimble around the Cotswolds. Good to meet you peteimpreza! That hill was a bugger wasn’t it? Made it up on my singlespeed apart from a wet bit where I couldn’t get any grip. Nearly killed me mind.

peteimpreza

And you mate, schweei bike even if it has only one gear 😀

Dickyboy

Well organised, well run & nice & friendly – but too much tarmac to warrant the 90min drive there & back so won’t bother next year. 100k 6hrs 15min 😳

spokebloke
    Free Member

100k and that bloody climb nearly killed me. Although you could tell who had dabbed at the top by the muddy shoes….

Seems like there was a lot more tarmac than last year, but I have consumed quite a lot of beer in the last year and details are hazy.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

pedalhead – Member
    super day, perfect weather for a lovely bimble around the Cotswolds. Good to meet you peteimpreza! That hill was a bugger wasn’t it? Made it up on my singlespeed apart from a wet bit where I couldn’t get any grip. Nearly killed me mind.

I hope you weren’t the bugger who fell in front of me and ruined my rhythm 🙂

Yep, the ‘killer loop’ around Snowshill really was a killer loop – I see a few just cut it off.

Big up to MidlandTrailQuestGraham – with green bike to match green socks and the couple on the blue Orbit tandem.

100km in 6.02 with sandle sore, heatstroke, punctures, bruised kidneys and sore back.

Great route and great organisation as always – thanks to all the Winchcombe and Cheltenham guys. My imagination or more off-road than normal this time?

ps44
    Free Member

Too much tarmac ? A bit of local knowledge needed 😉
    Lots of options today to do the distance but ride on concrete mud rather than tarmac. Same difference really…

pedalhead
    Free Member

I hope you weren’t the bugger who fell in front of me and ruined my rhythm

nah not me, graceful dismount, naturally 🙂

singlespeedstu

the couple on the blue Orbit tandem.

Waves to Andy.

That steep climb was **** hard going on the tandem. Still managed to clean it though.

I think my stoker is now broken. 😆

Maybe supertacky dual ply tyres aren’t the best choice for an event like that. 😯

flashes
    Free Member

I did the little one on the SS. My riding partner had 4 punctures so got caught by the marshalls, sweepers and even the guys who took the signs down. Still did a fair bit of catching up after the cake stop.
    Fab day, excellent route and I can feel my hands and legs unlike 2 years ago…

tollah
    Free Member

55km cheeky version with two pubs stops! Great day out!

emac65
    Free Member

110k with the Broadway “he-man loop” -Missed the f00kin turn…The climb back to where I should have turned was not fun !

great day & event though, 8)

Weasel
    Free Member

Great day out, this was our first time and did the 50km as our winter training plan went to pot.

The bread pudding at the finish went down a treat!

hh45
    Free Member

My 5th HONC and all of them bone dry – seems April has better weather than most of May and June. Tarmac content about standard I think but not measured!

Got around the 100 on mtb in 4hr 59 so respectable but not a pb.

The hill was indeen a mutha but I rode it all in one go. Last year avoided granny ring altogether but when I saw that I just dropped straight into Granny no 1!!

Epic
    Free Member

Glad I stuck to the 50km, sounds like the big climb on the 100 would have put me in a bodybag!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

First time and wasn’t sure the 100k would be do-able. gave it a go and rode in a rather sedate manner to make sure we got to the end.
    Can’t see me doing it again though. It was all a touch boring really wasn’t it?

Epic
    Free Member

@dirtbiker100, found it quite nice. Very used to forest and moorland rides out here in Shropshire, so the wooded valleys and rolling bridleways of the Cotwolds were something different. The terrain demanded a faster pace too, which pushed my finess nicely!

singlespeedstu

It was all a touch boring really wasn’t it?

It was a 100k ride in the Cotswolds. What were you expecting Crankworx or something?

Maybe if you’d not just bimbled round slowly it would have been more fun. 😉

psling
    Free Member

I bimbled round and enjoyed the views 😉 90km on the cross bike [somhow managed to miss the Laverton loop 😀 ] and back in time for bread pudding. I do wonder why people enter a road based reliability ride and expect a MTB enduro 🙄

Thanks to Winchcombe and C&C for another great route, thanks to the marshals and helpers; great day out.

Trimix
    Free Member

They lied – my GPS said 102km !

It was a good way to see the Cotswolds, you can tell its not ridden by bikes much, many of the trails where bummpy as hell due to horse traffic. Unlike the Chilterns where they are noticably smoother.

If its sunny next year Im up for it again.

acjim
    Free Member

100 fun sunny k’s for me and my mate Dave (moaning only kept at bay by application of bakewell tarts). We had hoped to start near the front and get under 5 hours but a starting line seatclamp failure meant a start from the back (big thanks to Marshall Anthony who took us back to his gaff and leant Dave a seatclamp for the day – legend!).

Good ride though and we avoided the field of flints that so blighted last years.

large418
    Free Member

Great day out, 102km here as well. For a reliability ride, I saw a lot of unreliable bikes (punctures etc) – maybe that’s the point. I reckon full suss bikes are the most reliable, then hardtails, then cross bikes last. Having said that, a cross bike was probably the bike of choice (my full suss was a bit too much for the trails/roads). The course was well marshalled, well signed, and a real change from previous years – excellent choice of routes. Whoever threw in the Snows Hill climb at 80km needs to be forced to ride it 10 times without a break 🙂

Andy

Great day out for me. Stuggled round this year due to lack of fitness and a dodgy knee. Great meeting lots of new folk. Particularly the three lads (Heckler/Pace/Giant XTC), the On One posse and the american lass and guy on the ancient P7 who all were welcome company when I needed it most.

Should that Snowshill have been done the other way round, as that climb would have been a cracking descent!

Many thanks to the organisers for a great day out.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Whoever threw in the Snows Hill climb at 80km needs to be forced to ride it 10 times without a break

I’d particularly like to “talk” to the chap who poured a few buckets of water on part of that climb, just to make it slippy like.

Trimix
    Free Member

Andy, my thoughts exactly as I rode up that climb on a 6 inch plus bike with a Hammerschmidt and 810mm bars.

Trimix
    Free Member

Actually, years a go it was much more knarly. It had a gully down the middle due to rain and some large steps. They must have sanitised it for walkers/horses when they downgraded it from a RUPP to a restricted byway.

grahamh
    Free Member

Whoever threw in the Snows Hill climb at 80km needs to be forced to ride it 10 times without a break

I did :mrgreen:

Oranj
    Free Member

I spent large amounts of time riding along with a big grin on my face, admiring the views. Some of the road was a bit dull, but so what, just tag along behind a cyclo-x posse and ‘ave it! Most of the puncture victims I passed seemed to be on cyclo-x bikes, although they were faster otherwise. My hardtail was comfy enough + I put an extra 15 psi in the tyres at the cake stop just to make it easier to roll along the tarmac. A brilliant day out

clubber
    Free Member

Did the ’75k’ option having ripped my sidewall just before the rest stop having been on for a good spin round the 100k – even sealant wasn’t going to properly fix that unfortunately. Typical as I’d been hammering the rocky bits this year knowing that my tubeless cx setup wouldn’t pinch and then a small innocuous rock in the trail that I must have only brushed with the sidewall does the tyre in. What a fantastic day though. I’ve done 8 I think and this was the first I’ve done in short sleeves and shorts 🙂

The course wasn’t my favourite this year as I think it’s usually better the other way round but I accept that it needs to be mixed up year to year. Big thanks as ever to the organisers.

Trimix
    Free Member

I pumped up my 2.35 High Rollers to 40 psi – rolled OK, but made a funny noise on the tarmac.

mrmo
    Free Member

I hope those complaining about climbs aren’t the northerners who complain there are no climbs in the south. Just no pleasing some people.

Oranj
    Free Member

Ended up with 50psi in my Contis. A bit bouncy on the hardpacked offroad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Hell of the North Cotswolds’ is closed to new replies.