Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Hedgehog help please!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just come home and found a small hedgehog in the street. Looks like he was distubed by a neighbour who uses the grassy area next to our houses as a garden tip
    His back foot is hurt. Doesn’t look too bad but he can’t walk very well.
    I’ve found a big box and lined it with newspaper and covered it with a bag to keep it dry and put it under a bush in our garden, which is safer than the road. He can get out if necessary. We fed him some ham that he tucked into with gusto!

What next?

(Yes, pics etc later)

toppers3933
    Free Member
    boxelder

Clay. Pack it tight around the hog, to a thickness of 2″.
    Bake slowly at around 175 degs for an hour.
    Spines and skin come off with clay.
    Mashed tatties and a robust Rioja.

Not for me though – Veggie

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not even remotely funny. If you have nothing useful to add, fek off.

SaxonRider

I have nothing to add, except thanks for saving it. They are beautiful creatures, hedgehogs.

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.valewildlife.org.uk

probably others around the country who offer the same

LeeW

Where are you? IF you’re close enough I’ll pick it up and get it looked after for you.

We’ve have hedgehogs in the shed pretty much every year and have nursed several back to health after injuries.

Markie
    Free Member

Where in the country are you? There are rescue places all over.

Also, if you call the RSPCA they can give you a number which you can then give to a local vet which means the RSPCA will pay for the animals treatment.

Good luck!

Edit: find an animal helping place near you here on the RSPCA website:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/wildlife/rehabilitation/findarehabilitator

http://bwrc.org.uk/#/find-a-rehabilitator/4548923580

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/wildcents.html

footflaps

Most vets will take in an injured hedgehog, I’ve dropped off one with them.

z1ppy

Yep, RSPCA should be happy to help with a hedgehog

tpbiker
    Free Member

do hedgehogs like ham????

Well done for helping, big fan of the little fellas.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hmm, might have to try some ham & cream to attract them into the garden next year. Good luck with yours BTW.
    I just wish they’d share the hedge though!

somafunk

Baby hedgehogs like puppy dog food, i’ve nursed a few with this and they’ve recovered enough to pootle off on their own after a while, they are covered in fleas though so be careful.

rickmeister

Nice one PP,

I find hedgehogs very useful when loaded with cheese and onions on the spines.. sort of self propelled nibbles holder at parties…

Seriously, vets and no milk for the edge-ogg, its not good for them. Bags of HH food available from Tesco’s (and points too !).

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I have nothing to add, except a photo of a hedgehog with a broken leg in a miniature plaster cast:

retro83
    Free Member

some food info here : http://mihog.org/diet/index.phtml

they also love mealworms (from reptile shops etc), but apparently you’re supposed to behead them first

well done for looking after the little fella

Bunnyhop

Yay, great work.
    They do indeed like puppy food and as others have said get him some professional care, as he maybe underweight for this time of year.

Have you a photo?

bloodynora
    Free Member

He, she might be close to hibernation so a good fattening up won’t do any harm 🙂 well done for looking afterIt and good luck!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right. Update.

A quick google found Happy Hedgehog Rescue about 5 miles away in Yateley, Hants
    Gave them a call and just dropped the little hog off. 🙂
    It’s a female hog, too small to survive winter at 267g, and has a broken leg which may need to be amputated 🙁
    She also has worms, which would have been enough to kill her on it’s own
    The rest of the family, typically 5-6 babies will also probably have worms so we will try and find them.
    Neighbour over the road saw one in their garden yesterday too, so ours may have come from there.
    If our little hog survives the winter in care (Which I’ll be paying for) we can have her back in the spring as long as we give her adequate housing and food 😀

Fingers crossed….

Pigface
    Free Member

Great story well done Mr Poddy, good luck to the little hog.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Info:
    Feed hedgehogs on plain, wet, dog or cat food, or bits of chicken. Wet food is good for the moisture and therefore helps with dehydration in injured hogs.
    Ham isn’t good for them 😳 or milk. To drink plain water is best.
    Although they will eat anything, too many slugs and snails are bad for them and give them worms, but that’s all that’s around to eat at this time of year, which can be a problem. Their natural diet is 10% slugs/snails with the rest being beetles and caterpillars

Pic as promised

IMG_0345 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

P20

Good work. Hedgehogs are cool

tpbiker
    Free Member

people who go out there way to help random injured animals always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Good luck in finding the rest of her family!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Nice one fella…. you’ve gone above and beyond there. Hedgehogs are lovely creatures and a valuable part of our native flaura and fauna so hats off to you. Hope she fairs well.

racefaceec90

good luck to the hedgehog (and babies) 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

people who go out there way to help random injured animals always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling

To be fair, it’s not the first time I’ve done it…. Last time I was about 14 though….. 🙂
    I just can’t bear to think I left some innocent animal to die by not doing my beast. They’re just trying to make their way in the world, and it must be tough.

I must be soft in the head though

stumpy01

PP – why not get one of these to stick in the garden?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hogitat-14-WG-HOG-Hedgehog/dp/B001MUHMCG

We got one in the garden, have fastened it down with a stone on top, and covered it in leaves. We’ve had regular hedgehog visitors – at one point we had 3 in the garden at the same time. Don’t see them quite as often at the moment, but assume that’s because it’s darker earlier so we are still at work when they are snooping around.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Nice work PP, Hedgehogs are great aren’t they.

Stumpy – you’ve probably got more as they wander all over every night, 3 or 4 km for a healthy adult but they’ll be starting to hibernate around now depending on where you are and how cold it is. I thought we had 3 or 4 but after a night with nothing much else to do and bike lights charged counted 8 different hogs over 3 hours, and a lot of hog food.

somafunk

Well done peter, this is/was my pet crow (jerry) i nursed back to health a few years ago, a cat caught him as he dropped out the nest whilst trying to fly, he had a broken wing where the cat swiped at him but over the course of a month he recovered as i fed him 4/6 times a day on a mixture of dog food and wild bird seed, he lived in a cage in the back kitchen to start with then he used to waddle about the house and follow me everywhere whilst cawing loudly and pecking hell out of my ankles.

He eventually recovered enough to fly about on his own and one day he just took off from the back step and that was that, no thank you, no flowers, no dear john letter…nothing. However a few weeks later i awoke to a hellish tapping coming from my kitchen window so i wandered through and it was Jerry, giving me the stares as if to say “get the **** breakfast on you useless ****”, he hung about the garden for a couple of days then took off again and over that summer he occasionally came back for a day or two but the frequency was less and less each time. I’d like to think he had little birdy weans of his own and he told them the tale of “daddy and the tame human”.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Glad you have sorted something. I found one in our garden in the spring. It had had its eyes pecked out by magpies and was in a bad way. Had to give the poor little thing a swift end, as it could never have survived in the wild; I doubt it would have survived the night. Probably the worst day of 2012 for me.

tpbiker
    Free Member

that pet crow is awesome! Thats a great wee story 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Orman, that’s sad. I think you did the right thing though.

sharki
    Free Member

Top man Pete.
    For all the wildlife I’m privileged to see, hedgehogs are eluding me these days.

So it’s always wonderful to hear of people’s sightings of them.

I’ll just have to put up with sightings of puffin, skuas, opsprey, lizards, etc..

Bunnyhop

Aww that photo is great.

We always leave very messy bits in our garden full of twigs and piles of leaves for the hogs. Although they are rare around here.
    I’ve also asked our neighbour if we could put in a hog sized hole through our gardens to encourage them to wander more.

backtothetop
    Free Member

I rescued a hedgehog a few weeks back,we were moving crates at work using a forklift and somehow ended up with a hedgehog on the end of the forks behind a pallet,(no idea how it didnt get squashed)as there was no where suitable to put it at work, i took it home and put it in a cage in the room with the chinchillas(as requested by the gf). then said gf came home and saw the size of it, MASSIVE. released it back to the wild the following day.

I now want a crow

somafunk

You don’t want a crow…believe me when i say that. Jerry was very cool and all that but he needed constant stimulation otherwise he’d destroy everything for no reason and if you didn’t speak to him or pay him attention on a minute by minute basis he’d either peck your feet till till they were red raw or jump up and squawk in your ear, or pull your hair, or get stuck in the cupboard and squawk…squawk…squawk… he used to go nuts at the window if a cat walked past – he’d almost knock himself out by pecking the glass if a cat entered the garden and i had to go out and chase them away otherwise he wouldn’t settle down…he refused to sleep in the back kitchen, i had to get a thick shoe box with a broom handle placed through it for my bedside table for him to perch on at night otherwise he’d greet and cry all night in the back kitchen.

He was **** cool though, nothing like going for a bike ride across the town with a crow on your handlebars stretching his wings in the breeze, he had to come in to shops wi me on my shoulder otherwise he’d kick off big style and get stroppy if i left him to wait out side.

I’d rather have kids, they sound less demanding than a pet crow.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Yay for saving hedgehogs! (and other creatures). Nice thread this. 😀

toppers3933
    Free Member

and the crow story is brilliant. well done soma.

breadcrumb

Crows are viscious, my OH folks lose a few lambs to them each spring.

somafunk

Yeah that’s the flip side i had to deal with on my mates farm when he was lambing, if you didn’t get to them in time the crows would peck the lambs eyes out then peck them to death whilst the stupid **** ewe stood by bleating and watching what was happening. He doesn’t farm sheep now thankfully as they’re more hassle than what they’re worth. From their kitchen window I’ve watched the crows unhook the red squirrel proof bird feeder’s and open the little doors where you fill them with grain then tip them upside down to empty them out, highly intelligent birds but i wouldn’t call them vicious as such, it’s just nature doing what nature does best but looking at it from our humane perspective puts a different slant on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Hedgehog help please!’ is closed to new replies.