Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Head torches for trail running
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Ive got this from Alpkit which is really good value for money

Qark

However i think it does lack a bit in the brightness area and i am considering upgrading. I notice exposure offer head torches, but are they really worth the extra money? Failing that are there other head torches which aren’t as expensive as exposure but are brighter than the alkpit offering?

TIA

IHN

MrsIHNs got a Petzl one, pretty much everyone in her trail-running group have Petzl, Spine-Racing mate told her “I’ve never had a bad Petzl”. I’d go Petzl.

**EDIT – she’s got this one, or maybe the Core version

https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/PERFORMANCE-headlamps/IKO

martymac

I also have a qark, i find it pretty bright tbh, when did you last visit an optician?
    That comment wasn’t intended to be cheeky, I genuinely find mine to be plenty bright enough 👍👍

jam-bo

i’ve just bought a petzl actik core, impressed with it so far. wanted USB rechargeable without a separate battery pack. the core battery pack is a really neat design that means I can run AAA in it as well. or even carry a second core battery pack.

two LEDS, one flood pointing down slightly, one spot pointing outwards. comfy strap. £35 from the evil bezos.

MrSparkle

I also have a Qark. Whilst it is a nice unit and pretty bright I have problems with it. I lead our club fell running group on headtorch moorland runs twice a week. When I have someone behind me on a singletrack I frequently end up in my own shadow due to brightness of other headtorches. Not ideal.

edward2000
    Free Member

Seeing as you ask, 6 days ago

duckman

I find the quark really bright as well.

PhilO
    Free Member

I struggle with headtorches on uneven ground – the proximity of eyes and light source all-but eliminates shadows and my depth perception disappears. So I use a chest-mounted lamp. Anybody else?

Currently using a cheap-n-nasty Chinese thing, but planning on upgrading to one of the brighter ones from Decathlon: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/search?Ntt=chest+lamp

lunge

I tend to double up for trail running, a chest mounted Decathlon job and a proper head torch. They work well in tandem.
    Do need to buy a new head torch this year I think so I watch this thread with interest.

NewRetroTom

Like Mrs IHN I have a Petzl IKO core. The actual lamp unit which is on your forehead weighs hardly anything (batteries are in a separate compartment at the back) which means you don’t get that annoying nodding/bouncing effect that I have had on previous ones such as Tikka+.

jamiemcf

I use a Petzl Nao, the older version. I got it for work years ago. I’m sure the reactive lighting is fairly common nowadays but it’s good. I used to be able to get a full night shift out of it comfortably due to it reacting to the reflected light. I think it must be about 9years old now.

tjagain

I don’t know how many lumens you need but I recently bought a Petzl Bindi as its very light – 200 lumen. I am well pleased with it. USB charging and light

jam-bo

I have a bindi as well. It’s ok for walking at night but not really bright enough for running. Light enough I can shove it in a pocket as a backup.

Vader
    Free Member

i have an aktic core as well, its great. Best bit is the core battery, it has saved me a mint in disposable batteries. Really good bit of kit and very light. I have run with it but mostly it’s for early starts on hill days, for which it is superb. A really good bright light

savoyad

Chest mount – I changed away from head torch because I didn’t like the glare from rain (or even not rain, just wet NW air) reflecting back in my face. I sometimes wear both now. But the chest one is the best.
    Differences between cheap version (that I once had) and “proper” decathlon one : the decathlon one adjusts better so you can point it where you want it more precisely; the cheapo one turns off when you press the switch.

@edward2000
    yes, this is all a bit classic “buy the different thing that we all have” but there’s a reason for that.

MrSparkle

@edward2000 what are you running on? Road, trails, fell?

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

I use a Petzl Swift RL, 900 lumens. Confidence inspiring with the brightness. I used a cheap £25 one from amazon for a couple of years but… wait for it… night and day difference…

jam-bo

i haven’t tried a chest mount but whenever i’ve seen someone running with one,  they look like they swing wildly around rather than the inherent stabilisation you get on your noggin.

NewRetroTom

I was going to buy the Petzl Swift RL but the guy in the outdoor shop pointed out the Iko is more suited to running as it doesn’t have a big heavy thing to bounce around on your forehead. The Swift is designed for alpinism where you attach it to your helmet.

jeffl

I got a cheap decathlon a couple of years back. Used if for the first time since last winter the other day. It’s the 250lm job, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/run-light-250-aw19-running-light/_/R-p-312549?mc=8573980

Overall it’s good, bit like a handlebar light, gives a good level of flood, but not massive penetration. I don’t tend to run more than fire roads or the woods and it’s fine. Although it does swing about a bit, because it’s quite floody it’s not a problem. Only real issue is when you have to duck under something and curve your torso down, or go round a tight turn. Head torch would be useful then.

I’ve got a Four4th scorch helmet light and they do a head mount for that, https://www.four4th.co.uk/collections/mounts-chargers/products/scorch-headlight-strap It’s absolutely awesome but TBH is overkill, so I’ve only used it once or twice. Any sort of moisture in the air and you get a lot of glare coming back at you.

highlandman
    Free Member

Have to say I hear far more negative comments from our many pals in the Scottish ultra community about Petzl than about any other brand, stroppy smart issues leading to critical failures mostly but also some who find that they just are not robust enough. Some of that could be because these are probably the most common headtorches out there, so by definition, will also therefore be the most grumbled about… I cannot see why they are so expensive though, with no real advantages over much cheaper options.
    Personally, the Mrs & I both use Alpkit Manta, with our emphasis being more on longevity than pure lumens. I also prefer to split the weight front to back over a buff or a hat; I’m happier with the stability of having that big battery at the back, balancing the lamp unit. The lamp is plenty bright enough for running on our pretty technical local woodland singletrack and also for long shifts patching up broken runners at overnight races.

IHN

MrsIHNs got a Petzl one, pretty much everyone in her trail-running group have Petzl, Spine-Racing mate told her “I’ve never had a bad Petzl”. I’d go Petzl.

I’ve just clocked who the OP is, and he’s in MrsIHNs trail-running group *facepalm*

turboferret

I had a Exposure verso head torch (£108), which I permanently mounted onto the front of a cap – my go-to winter commuting tool, with a mainly off-road route.  Pretty bright, (I’d run it on medium generally) fairly narrow beam, fairly light, all-in-one unit.

I then got a Petzl Bindi (£45) which I prefer, lighter, and a more floody beam, again I’d run on medium.  Again I sewed it onto the front of a cap, so no need to worry about a strap. I haven’t used either on particularly gnarly terrain, but wouldn’t have any qualms of using either on most stuff.

Value wise the Bindi wins hands down.

stcolin
    Free Member

Have a Petzl Reactiv+, just got myself a Qark. Petzl seems brighter, but the Qark has a more even level of light throughout its adjustable spot. It’s also lighter than the Petzl.

Oh, and I know the Qark is rated with more lumens. The Petzl has more adjustments, from spot diameter to brightness and changes with ambient light changes which helps save battery. The Qark has a simple spot adjuster.

Stainypants

I’ve used the Decathlon chest one for years ( I’m on my second one) and as said earlier it provides a good flood to see where your putting your feet but i usually use it in combination with a headtorch when i need more focused light for picking out details or navigating.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Binding for road running, dark lanes.

Qark for actual trails and hills.

rodderz
    Free Member

Petzl nao+ is my favourite so far. For ultras. Have some lighter weight ones too but a fan of the nao+.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Used a hand held inspection torch from Screwfix in my last ultra.

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Another vote for Petzl Actik core. Simple to use, fast charge, long runtime. For £35 it’s just ace and good value for trail running and hiking duties.

bullshotcrummond
    Free Member

I bought an Olight H1R a while ago and it is really nice – probably one of my best lockdown purchases. I’ve also bought the H2R but it is bigger and heavier.

They’ve replaced it with the Perun and I’ve seen some niggly comments about its proximity detector being a pain.

I used to use a petzl but it had a dead zone in front of me (difficult to describe) that I didn’t like.

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these since last winter and it’s been insane. I also use it at work doing steam cleans underneath and in engine bays of buses as it’s like having my own personal sun

Petzl Swift RL

mogrim

I use a Decathlon light for my ultras and night runs. It uses batteries, which are a lot better when it comes to multi-day races – rechargable lights are fine for shorter runs, when for longer distances just swapping the batteries is easier, cheaper, and more reliable.

duncancallum

Led lensers cheap light bright

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’ve had Petzl, Alpkit (3 different ones), various Maplin specials over the years but got one of these earlier this year:

https://thrunite.com/bss-h01-green/

Had it for about 6 months now and find it to be the absolute canid’s cobblers.

Lightweight, easily adjusted and stays adjusted, bombproof, waterproof (IPX8), USB recharge, nearly 700 lumens on turbo (but I find a mix of medium to high gets me around in pitch black, slow runner) and I even use it time to time for MTBing (along with bar light). It’s a nice even flood with a very slight hotspot.

It goes for 5 hrs easily on medium. It has a firefly mode also (handy for book reading, camping etc) that goes seemingly forever. Strong magnet in the tail-cap for using as a worklight.

Only omission I’d nitpick is no red mode. It’s also a single headband style and some prefer a second band.

Thrunite do more powerful headlamps but this is just about perfect for me, ymmv.

Daft cheap price also (£25)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Olight Perun Mimi.

nickjb
    Free Member

Quick psa, £5-10 off various alpkit lights for black Friday. Other discounted stuff too.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

They’ve replaced it with the Perun and I’ve seen some niggly comments about its proximity detector being a pain

Not an issue with the Perun 2. The prox sensor works fine and dims the beam when your lense is close to the subject. It wouldn’t be and issue if it’s on a headband while you’re running, unless a tree jumps out in front of you.

I don’t think the Perun has a prox sensor though?

Killer
    Free Member

Petzl Nao is amazing that I used for 24hr races but is a bit heavy
    The Petzl Swift RL is a VERY bright light I use when just grabbing out of the drawer and has a reasonable batteyr life
    The Aktik Core is a bargain of a light. not as bright as the above, but for the price is pretty damn good

not tried the IKO, looks like a light torch and balanced.

Never tried ones liek the Black Diamond, or Silva ones i’m afraid though

BadlyWiredDog

The Silva lights are worth a look – they tend to have a beam with one LED spot and one flood so you get a good mix of close-up light pooling and more distant vision. I haven’t used the latest one, but the earlier stuff I have tried has all been good.

On the Petzl front, the Nao+ is ace in a ‘great big pool of light way’ that’s great for propioception and balance. For a physically big light it feels pretty comfortable and stable to me, partly because the battery sits reasonably low. The Swift RL is almost as bright, but has a slightly more focussed beam, better all rounder if you want something for mountaineering, but the weight is all up front. The IKO Core is ace and incredibly light, beam output is kind of like the Core lite, not much throw, but a nice, wide, floody pool of light where you need it. I found it very comfortable over a beanie, hardly noticable at all in fact, but if you have very short hair – sticks paw up – the cradle is a bit irritating ime. The Bindi is super light and fine on smooth surfaces, but nowhere near bright enough for more technical, rough off road stuff. Again more of a close-up beam. You can hang it round your neck as well, which is fine for walking, but not great for running.

I’ve got an Alpkit Quark too with the adjustable beam. I’d say it’s good for the price, but I’d rather have one of the three Petzl options thanks. The Exposure again does the floody beam thing, not enough outright light at the price for me.

I think a bunch of it comes down to where you run, how you run, how long for and how well your eyes work at night. Oh, and as with mountain biking, how bright your mates’ lights are.

marcus
    Free Member

I’m only a sample of 1 (and it may be the way I treat headtorches) but I would steer away from Silva. I’ve had 2 fail where the wire from the external battery pack enters the ‘torch’ bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Head torches for trail running’ is closed to new replies.