Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 209 total)
  • Hazard perception test [RANT]
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the test was about hazard perception, you’d be right, but it’s not, so you’re wrong. The test is about your ability to respond in the manner the computer wants you to and is just a pointless test that does not in any way measure your ability to identify hazards.

Which is why you need to practise and train and understand what the test is about

and as Graham says, youd have thought yourself jolly smart, but have failed the test.

I wouldn’t have clicked the 25 subtle ones that they would not count – only the ones they would

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I said “Ive been driving with no crashes or points or incidents for 30 years” in response to some idiot’s post that “… then you aren’t fit to drive “

Wooosh – complacency. 🙄

peterfile
    Free Member

use all the bike’s acceleration to over take, then roll back to the speed limit

Unless you’re on a Hayabusa? 😉

GrahamS

but its easy to see what they intend you to see and to click on them when they are obvious

How do you know in the 1st clip that the open van door, the oncoming car in a narrow street, and the newly parked car are not the “obvious” hazards?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re safe, just you just, well, y’know, know!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

To be fair, the hazzard perception bit of the driving test has always been a bit iffy.

Don’t know about anyone else, but since I passed my test, I’ve not once had a suicidal clipboard try to end it’s life by launching itself against my dashboard!

D0NK

TJ have you considered motivational speaking ?

don’t worry teej, junkyard reckons I’m a crap motivational speaker aswell, i think he’s just not very motivation-able.

nedrapier

I also clicked more and earlier than I should have done but it’s a Hazard Perception test not a Potential Hazard Perception test. As long as you understand that, you’re fine. All this guff about test structure is missing the point. As thisisnotaspoon said:

The way my instructor explained it was you’re not clincking at everything you notice and would keep an eye on (otherwise you’d click for every road user coming into your field of vision), you’re clicking at the point in time you’d come off the throttle/change down a gear and be hovering over the brake pedal anticipating that somethings about to happen.

It’s a game, but a really simple one!

GrahamS

The other issue (when I sat it at least) is that the video quality is so appalling you sometimes can’t tell if something is a potential hazard or just a random splotch.

Cougar

Wooosh – complacency

Er, thinking you’re fit to drive is complacency? So, what, you should only drive if you believe you aren’t fit to do so?

TJ, you come across as a bright chap, but you really should consider staying away from motoring threads. You never do yourself any favours.

j-cru
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Yup – but its easy to see what they intend you to see and to click on them when they are obvious. I didn’t click on the hazards they don’t have down as hazards

Edit – yes 30 or so on each clip. ( roughly) Any pedestrian, any vehicle at a junction, any parked car with someone in it. any unusual object at the roadside, anything creating a blindspot like a van parked at the roadside or a tree.

You must be a riot at parties.

GrahamS

..but it’s a Hazard Perception test not a Potential Hazard Perception test

yes, but to get 5 points you do have to spot the potential hazard before it turns into an actual hazard.

Okay, the freshly parked car is only a potential hazard. But how is an open van door or an oncoming car in a narrow street not an actual hazard? Would you not come off the throttle for either of those?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Wooosh – complacency
    Er, thinking you’re fit to drive is complacency? So, what, you should only drive if you believe you aren’t fit to do so?

TJ, you come across as a bright chap, but you really should consider staying away from motoring threads. You never do yourself any favours.

Indeed. Surely it’s also rather complacent to assume that you are the sole arbiter of when the speed limit applies. What is the effect of speeds “that would make your eyes bleed” on one’s ability to spot hazards, I wonder? 😉

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I cilcked once for every EMERGING hazard on my test and did not get penalized despite clicking a lot of times.

Also, yes I think 40% of driver instructors probably arent safe to be driving on the roads. Driving is something most people can “do” but really cant do correctly. My standards are obviously higher than most.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No cougar – thinking that because you have decades in a car makes you safe to ride a bike is complacent. Knowing you always have more to learn makes you safer.

for example – I have not ridden a motorcycle for a couple of years – so despite a few hundred thousand miles on one I would be very cautious if I got on one now – I wouldn’t think I was a skilled as I was a few years ago.

CFH – non at all- you can still see them you just have less time to do anything about them. 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

What a bucket of monkey spunk

My mate Mickey may want a word with you about his moped. 😆

j-cru
    Free Member

yesiamtom – Member
    I cilcked once for every EMERGING hazard on my test and did not get penalized despite clicking a lot of times.

Also, yes I think 40% of driver instructors probably arent safe to be driving on the roads. Driving is something most people can “do” but really cant do correctly. My standards are obviously higher than most.

Post suggests you haven’t been driving long, what research did you do to agree with that 40% figure?

Edric64
    Free Member

I passed it first time when doing it for my bike test having been a car driver for 20 years .As an experienced driver it is easy to anticipate problems in sone scenarios and click early .You will fail parts for multiple clicking though as they assume you just click away until the hazzard appears? .Did the OP practice at all prior to taking the test or just assume it was easy ? I had no problem at all doing it and scored highly

Cougar

thinking that because you have decades in a car makes you safe to ride a bike is complacent. Knowing you always have more to learn makes you safer.

I’d suggest that 20 years in a car without incident would imply a reasonable proficiency in hazard perception. The only person implying that that makes him “safe to ride a bike” appears to be your good self.

scuzz
    Free Member

No cougar – thinking that because you have decades in a car makes you safe to ride a bike is complacent. Knowing you always have more to learn makes you safer.

Comedy gold. Re-read the thread – someone said he couldn’t drive. Turns out Stoner can and has been driving safely for years. At no stage did he suggest that driving a car means he can ride a bike…

RustySpanner

enfht – Member

What a bucket of monkey spunk

My mate Mickey may want a word with you about his moped.

I thought he was bothering female giraffes these days?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Man fails hazard perception test

Man claims that decades of driving means he is safe therefore the test is at fault

I say his attitude shows complacency ( because he did not train for / understand the test) therefore he is not as safe as he claims – because of his complacent attitude.

Stoner
    Free Member

Comedy gold. Re-read the thread

you kind of get used to this with TJ around.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The comedy is stoner claiming the test is at fault because he failed it and there cannot be anything wrong with him and his hazard perception.

Too complacent to train properly for the test. complacency does not make for safe bike riders

scuzz
    Free Member

Man fails hazard perception test

Man claims that decades of driving means he is safe therefore the test is at fault

I say his attitude shows complacency ( because he did not train for / understand the test) therefore he is not as safe as he claims – because of his complacent attitude.
    Are you inferring the subtleties of someone’s attitude across the internet again? And you claim he is unwilling to learn! 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

man spends his time on STW arguing with people
    man ends up with no friends
    dinosaurs eat man
    women inherit the earth

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am not the one who failed a test them blames the structure of the test for his failure!

Stoner
    Free Member

Nanny TJ’s word of the day is “Complacency”. See how many times you can find it kids!

donsimon
    Free Member

Too complacent to train properly for the test. complacency does not make for safe bike riders

Neither does a test written from behind some bureaucrat’s desk. I’d take common sense borne from years of experience over a test.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

complacency does not make for safe bike riders

Nor does a blatant, flagrant, arrogant disregard for the speed limit.
    😉

How’s the view from up there on your high horse, TJ?

j-cru
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I am not the one who failed a test them blames the structure of the test for his failure!

Because you’ve never done the test!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Picks up Sesame Street theme…*

*Sings*

one of these kids is not like the others, one of these kids is not quite the same….

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok

Stoner is the safest driver in the world. His failure to pass the hazard perception test does not show a lack of preparation for it but as he obviously is a safe driver well prepared for the test then the test must be at fault – its the only answer

the fact that 93% of would be bikers doing the test pass it first time is neither here nor there. there is nothing else Stoner could have done to prepare, the only possible answer is the test is at fault. After all how could stoner possible be at fault at all?

j-cru
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Ok

Stoner is the safest driver in the world. His failure to pass the hazard perception test does not show a lack of preparation for it but as he obviously is a safe driver well prepared for the test then the test must be at fault – its the only answer

the fact that 93% of would be bikers doing the test pass it first time is neither here nor there. there is nothing else Stoner could have done to prepare, the only possible answer is the test is at fault. After all how could stoner possible be at fault at all?

Thanks for admitting you’re wrong.

scuzz
    Free Member

Straw man. There were other posts in between yours y’know!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I bought the cd rom when it came out and found that if I clicked as fast as I could then I failed on every hazzard. At the end of the test each of my click points were too quick on the scale. So it was worth buying the cd rom as I learnt that I needed to wait a fraction of a second before clicking to pass the test.

You also get away with another click,so I would click approx 1 second (if that) after the first click.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If were were all the same the world would be dull.

TJ – marching to the beat of a different drummer ( the one in my head that talks to me)

martinxyz
    Free Member

Good job Stoner is packing it in next year then! Oh,wrong Stoner.

scuzz
    Free Member

If were were all the same the world would be dull.

TJ – marching to the beat of a different drummer ( the one in my head that talks to me)
    YES! It’s taken YEARS! I mgiht have to leave the forum now 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Scuzz, missed your edit in your first post:
    “Two clicks per hazard won’t penalise you, neither will four for the developing hazard”

Im going to go for that technique next time. Identify hazard, click, give it a second for the computer to join in, click again, then click 4 times as it’s developing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘Hazard perception test [RANT]’ is closed to new replies.