Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)
  • Has there ever been a nicer time to ride a bicycle?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s definitely a trend of creeping back outside. I see plenty of people wandering or driving past my front window. I live on a terraced street and for a fortnight there was pretty much no change in where people’s cars were parked. Now they seem to shuffle about every day.

Back onto the opening topic. It’s a bit windy this week so maybe there has been a nicer time to ride. Last week beats it.

matt_outandabout

Everywhere is quieter but the number of “Glaikit Bastirds” has gone up about 1000%

Indeed it seems true.

Mrs_oab and middle_own sent for a ride today after a lunchtime work finish.
    Oh.
    My.
    Word.
    Dunblane was hoaching with people, meandering around park, lanes, cycle paths, roads.
    The unawareness reduced mrs_oab to tears – pedestrians crossing early and almost walking into her riding along, wide paths with 5 abreast walkers in the park, kids on the play area, groups of old folk chatting on the bridge blocking the way.

Glaikit numpties.

dannyh
    Free Member

Lockdown is crumbling. Loads more ‘if you are all from the same household I am a dutchman’ groups out this evening. Sunbathing, sitting talking shit on benches etc.

Also loads more anti cycling notices up and vigilante log/stick/branch men seem to be out in force.

The sooner this ends and all the Johnny Come Latelys **** off back down the pub or in front of their tellys the better.

molgrips
    Free Member

My local woods car park (3 miles from my house on my short local loop) was initially busy, then they taped it off and put up a sign so people parked on the road. Then they realised they were being dicks and stopped, so there was no-one there. Couple of weeks later and someone’s moved the tape and there’s been two or three cars there the last couple of times I’ve been through.

BoardinBob

I live on a terraced street and for a fortnight there was pretty much no change in where people’s cars were parked. Now they seem to shuffle about every day.

100% this. I’m on a terraced street too with cars parked down both sides.

1st few weeks nothing moved. Past couple of days, street is probably 50% empty of parked cars for a few hours during the day.

Roads are still very quiet though and I’m loving cycling on the roads.

tjagain

Interesting. It’s still the same here. No increase in idiots

StuE
    Free Member

Not much change in the bit of Leeds I live in, if anything the trails I have been riding are quieter now that the novelty of being at home has worn off

white101

I gave up altogether on the local MTB rides around here, the bridleways and old railway lines are just full. Not that its a bad thing, but i’m not partaking.

Meanwhile out on the road bike a noticeable increase in road traffic this afternoon, like a normal Friday. Plenty close passes today when i’ve had none to speak of in the last 4-5 weeks.

thepurist

Just been riding along the A30 and got passed by about 5 cars in a mile and a half, at rush hour. I see the transport sec is being wheeled out for tonight’s update so hopefully he will share some stats about road usage, as it still seems way below normal round here.

As if by magic…

So a marginal increase on the past couple of weeks but far below normal.

slowoldman

Been out around the Cheshire lanes today and yes there is traffic but still a fraction of what I would normally expect. Even had to do a bit on the A50 (diversion in place) which would normally be horrendous but even that was OK. Remarkably sensible pedestrians too.

matt_outandabout

Stunning 7am ride today. Just local road out to Callander and Thornhill, back to Dunblane. Very little traffic, snow on the mountains still, not a cloud in the sky, freshest of cold air…

Mister-P
    Free Member

It was like there was a sportive happening out there this evening. Cyclists everywhere.

thepurist

It was like there was a sportive happening out there this evening. Cyclists everywhere.

Gives a great excuse though doesn’t it… “I saw someone ahead but backed off to respect social distancing, of course in normal times I’d have passed them no bother…”

welshfarmer
    slowoldman

So within 10 miles of home? That means within a circle of 20 miles diameter. Cycling around that would be 60 miles plus the 20 miles getting to and from the perimeter. Total 80 miles.

AD

Glad I don’t live in Wales.

People genuinely don’t seem to be taking p!ss up in Cumbria. More cyclists on roads but everyone keeping distance. Really nice to see families out and about on bikes.
    And governments own figures backing up the reduction in vehicles usage.

Maybe other area are different? I can’t see how the numbers would justify a tightening elsewhere in country? Although there doesn’t really seem to be a numbers based justification in Wales that I can find.

quantockspaul
    Free Member

I’m really liking road riding at the moment with so few cars, just have to watch out for walkers all over the road. Mtb is good too as it seems most people must drive their bike to the hills, so now once I get past walking and bimbling distance from town (about 3miles) it’s pretty quiet.

I reckon there’s gonna be quite a few disillusioned newbie cyclists when we get out of the lockdown. There seems to be loads of new cyclists and families bimbling around the lanes around my way (Somerset) which is great to see, but once all the knobber drivers get back on the roads and cut them up and give them a few near misses I think unfortunately they’ll retreat back to the sofa.

I also wondered if the near-miss knobber drivers were the people who can work from home, as I assume they’re not out on the roads and the essential workers are the ones that are left?

AD

Some virtue signalling halfwit has sprayed ‘LOCKDOWN – **** OFF’ on the climb up Cauda Brow out of Croasdale (nr Ennerdale).

BUT someone else has sprayed (in dayglo!) STAY SAFE – BE KIND and a big heart over the top 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Just been out for a road ride and I reckon we saw twice as many bikes as cars and that included riding through Skipton! A few families out on the lanes, no groups so everyone solo or a pair (likely to be partners).

Got to Linton and started to head down to Bolton Abbey and the complete quiet, well lack of hum and drone from vehicles was probably what the countryside was like up to around the 1930s before farming became mechanised, i.e. what my grandfather and his generation knew.

crazy-legs

I went out round Tatton Park (the park itself is closed but there are nice lanes around there). It was SO busy with families, kids, lots of lone roadies and a few couples of all ages.

Fantastic to see so many out.

Very few cars and the ones we did see were all very considerately driven. Although I strongly suspect that the people out and about in convertible Astons/Ferraris/Mercs, and the McLaren whatever-it-was were probably not on essential journeys. 😉
    That said, they were very considerate and safe and passed with loads of space so whatever.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Has there ever been a nicer time to ride a bicycle?’ is closed to new replies.