Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • Has there ever been a nicer time to ride a bicycle?
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

No cars, no pollution, no noise, no contrails….and it’s spring and sunny. I’ve had some of the most idyllic (local) rides of my life.

It’s even almost made road biking enjoyable.

razorrazoo

Road biking is amazing at the moment.  MTB less so as nowhere to ride from home.

Richmond Park being closed has encouraged me to find new loops from home which has been great given the nice weather and lack of traffic.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Any day is a good day to spin the legs!

We’re having a bit of a “oh… summer’s hanging on for a while?” and it’s going to be high 35c today and expected 37c tomorrow. Bit too warm in the day but should be nice to get out this evening after work. Good Friday, y’all!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m thinking of going out on the CX bike over the weekend. The worst bit about road biking from the centre of Edinburgh is getting out of town. Should be more pleasant now!

kerley
    Free Member

It is slightly worse where I live. I ride early in the morning and the numbers of cars on the road is pretty much the same as it has ever been. The number of people on the gravel roads has increased as people are now going out earlier to get a walk with their dog in so I am tending to ride gravel roads less than I have done for years.

Thinking of riding through nearest towns for a change of scenery and places where I would actually notice less traffic.

zippykona

On the Mtb I’ve had to find new wider tracks and in the process found some new bits as well. These have added up to a whole new loop which includes going down a climb I really hate.

Payback after 14 years of going up it.

Tracks are bone dry and everyone is giving each other plenty of room.

Its just a shame that on following the whole no gnar not far thing that I buggered my knee from doing the local time trial roundabout boredom ride.

Then as I’d buggered my knee I went to the park with Mrs Zip for a gentle walk and twisted my ankle.

Now having to do nothing but sit in the garden.

leffeboy

In town (Brussels) the problem now is that with so few cars some of those left are noticeably speeding.  The police are starting to crack down on it though.  It is incredibly lovely outside though. Lockdown would have been even less fun if the weather was horrible

towzer

Yes*

Can’t stop off for coffee/bacon sarnie, ….. your snack choice goes here

On a lot of the xc tracks I use I’m seeing people for the first time in many, many years.

After several seasons of jacket wearing and blasting through brambles I forgot I was only in a light summer shirt, a now ripped light summer shirt, with a red stain.

But, yeah, it is fab, roads a lot quieter, nettles not established, tracks running brilliantly (unless overhorsed), colours and growth coming in, Ab Fab

weeksy

Exactly as above, bicycles are social things, on the van at BPW or at the café with mates. Neither are possible.

I’d rather have a damp windy day at BPW with my 11 year old than what we have right now.

anagallis_arvensis

I went up a quiet lane near my house yesterday, its a regular escape route for me into the countryside, so quiet I have a top ten time on Strava. Ride it about once a week and have rarely seen anyone on it in years. Saw about 15 people walking it yesterday.

Mounty_73

I had the best ride of the year so far yesterday.

Very few cars and pollution, blue skies and sun, lots of wildlife.

The wildlife was very different yesterday, really noisey and active which was great.

Quite a lot more cyclists out, even my GF has started to ride a bike. I dont think there has been a better time to ride.

nickjb
    Free Member

The reduced traffic is great (other than the speeders), but the restrictions are putting a downer on it. No rides with mates is probably the biggest issue. Not being able to go far limits it quite a bit. No gnar I can live with. The weather is taking pee, perfect for a weekend away. So, yes, a great time to ride a bicycle other than not really being able to do the rides I want to 🙂

spooky_b329

I’m very lucky to only be 100m of tarmac from a ‘wide’ bit of the South Downs. I worked out last week that there are 85 miles of bridleways in ‘my backyard’ without having to cross a road which has opened up the plan to ride the whole lot in one go…although not an appropriate ride at the moment.

I’ve been going out riding bits that a lodged in my memory as crap or that don’t form part of a nice loop, rediscovered a couple that I normally avoid but aren’t as bad as I remember.

And…a lot of the gates are being left open where there is no livestock, farmer or walkers I’m not sure but it’s nice to be able to fly through uninterrupted and not worry about touching gate handles.

doomanic

I don’t really ride on the road normally so have nothing to compare current conditions to. However, I have noticed that as the week progresses the driving I’m seeing has got worse with more close passes and speeding. I even got close passed on a quiet stretch of dual carriageway yesterday!

eddie11
    Free Member

Every silver lining and all that eh?

It’s the best bit of lockdown but is it better than before, all things considered? No

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’m still riding a couple times a week on the road, re-visiting some of my local Singletrack on the MTB and doing the British Cycling Race & TT series on Zwift with my club mates so have been kept active. What has been really great is seeing all the other cyclists who probably would rarely ride. Little families with children in tow on trailer bikes, & a range of small bikes & parent with a teenager out with them – and everyone is so friendly. It would be good if this led to more people cycling and more consideration from car drivers. Although the press is still trying to demonise cyclists by those photographs that misrepresented how close they actually were.

kerley
    Free Member

Exactly as above, bicycles are social things,

Not for everyone they are not. I have ridden solo for the last 20 years as I don’t like social interaction (aspergers). So as I said, a little bit worse now than normal as finding more people on the previously dead quiet gravel roads.

binners

In a very out-of-character piece of exquisite timing, I took delivery of a road bike about 2 months ago.

I’ve been absolutely loving riding the quiet, traffic free roads.

Off out on the local trails on the mountain bike today though. There’s only so much tarmac I can tolerate 😃

binners

I’m not half missing the Monday Night Pub Rides though. I went for a walk a couple of days ago and passed the beer garden of the Hare and Hounds in Holcombe. This is where our local night rides normally finish as it’s at the bottom of a great final descent

It was a lovely sunny day and the large beer garden was empty. It felt a little sad thinking that on a normal day like that, there would be ten bikes lent against the walls and us lot, covered in mud, having a pint and talking bollocks. I really miss that 🙁

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Swings and roundabouts. I can live with the odd dick driver…its not as big a problem as made out on here, not where I live at least, in exchange for the freedom to do rides other than the road rides I do from my door. Missing the social pub rides with mates, the decent MTB trails are a bit too far for me so no MTB’ing. No decent off road tracks or trails. Road riding for me is more about training, which is fine as I do enjoy a training session, but the main purpose of the training was to get fitter to enjoy the MTB more or for a specific goal or event on the road bike like a big sportive or Alps trip with mates. So on balance yes, there has been better times to ride my bike and I look forward for normality to return, warts and all.

crazy-legs

Good points:
    Dry trails – unbelievably dry considering the atrocious winter we had.
    Quiet roads, traffic < half what it usually is.
    WFH so lots of opportunity to get out.

Bad points:
    Far more people on the trails near to population centres, have to be careful about riding canal towpaths.
    Some insane speeding from drivers.
    The social policing from a small minority of dickheads who seem to have universally decided that their opinion of lockdown should be the one everyone obeys.
    No cafes open!

molgrips
    Free Member

Exactly as above, bicycles are social things

No – YOU are a social thing, I’m not. Works just fine for me 🙂

montgomery
    Free Member

Missing speculative pint stops at new pubs I’ve never been to. Timber bell worked well for me dropping down one of the few bridleways round here early this morning.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

In town (Brussels) the problem now is that with so few cars some of those left are noticeably speeding.

Same problem here. First outing/local streets- 30 min ride after lockdown was announced – was also the closest I’ve been to getting flattened (by yoots in a twatchback) for decades. They were supposed to give way from their junction but just cornered it instead, ie just pulled out on me without even looking up the hill. I pre-empted on brakes but but only just avoided a collision. They didn’t even see me until I was a few feet from the driver’s window and he was still accelerating as his eyes widened. Then two days ago one managed to close-pass me coming the opposite direction on an empty residential lit road . He was going the kind of speed where you see the car losing traction over minor bumps in the road.

My glass is full, etc, but please all be careful out there and ride defensively even when it’s quiet.

I can live with the odd dick driver

Er…

mcnultycop

Perfect on the road round here. Off road isn’t great as the number of walkers has, unsurprisingly, increased. I’m sticking to the road for the timebeing.

Alex

I’m with @binners.  The riding is brilliant right now. Our local woods are also at peak ‘trail-pixie’ so everything ruined over winter has been fixed and/or improved.

I’m riding them all ‘no pedals’ to keep the speed down but also to keep me concentrating. There’s more people in the woods now – although most on the fire roads, but everyone and I mean everyone has been keeping their distance and being lovely people to talk too.

But the not riding with your mates and going to the pub. That’s half of why I ride.  Still we’re luckier than most that our hobby is outside and accessible.

I’ve done a bit of road/gravel riding to explore some local options but the whole riding on your own thing doesn’t do it for me.

snotrag

Yes its been better. Ive never wanted to stop for a post ride pint sat on a bench outside, more in my life!

munrobiker
    Free Member

It was going pretty well in terms of road and gravel riding and riding from the doorstep but today compared to even Wednesday there were a lot more cars out in Edinburgh – the bypass looked normal for 11am on a weekday. Everyone seemed to have a lot of supposedly essential stuff to do.

The mountain biking isn’t as good but the Pentlands are unusually dry, and quiet, so it’s nice to get out but I’d rather be up in the Highlands! Having said that, any mountain bike ride is a good one.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes its been better. Ive never wanted to stop for a post ride pint sat on a bench outside, more in my life!

Ha yes I’m with you on that. And I get the missing your mates thing. But then again escaping town on solo rides is my specialty in normal times.

A few dick drivers round my way but on balance there’s less dick drivers in total. Been bimbling about some new local lanes I’ve never explored before.

Maybe biking is even sweeter now as it’s the only time I get outdoors…….

spacemonkey

Just back from <2hr road pootle around the Surrey Hills. Probably saw more cyclists than drivers/walkers/pedestrians combined, including what looked like a group ride congregating in Holmbury. They must’ve been a bloody big family as social distance was not being followed. Also spotted a wing commander type chap on an ancient steed wearing knee high socks, sandals and toe clips. A commendable look. And close to home caught sight of a wee lad who looked very much like A werewolf in the making. Odd.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m finding it worse than ever in rural Shropshire.

Farmers driving like idiots down small lanes, increase in horses on the road, idiots now thinking it’s safe to overtake on blind bends because probably no one will come the other way 🙄

amodicumofgnar

I’m feeling quite envious, did the food run this morning, fantastic day saw 3 delivery drivers and 10 cyclists not the way into town and about the same coming out. It’s about 10miles each way. All solo no large groups, not even that much club kit.

What is baffling me at the moment is why, if you are transgressing the rules, would you stop as a group in the middle of a village. Nothing about that is stealthy and it seems to happen most weekends.

Klunk
    Free Member

got shouted at today by a driver “Stay at home” after she had to wait for an on coming car to pass before she could overtake. I can only assume she’d had an irony bypass.

trumpton
    Free Member

Loving my mixed urban country park cycle lane road ride.Have to go in the morning as it gets busy in the afternoon. No cars on the road.i always cycle alone anyway.

lunge

Lovely couple of hours today. Roads were dead, a few people out but generally very quiet. And the weather was bang on too. Now sat in the garden with an ice cream and TMS on.
    Perfect.

bigdean

For me the smaller side roads are just as busy but the main A roads are very quiet, road surfaces are bad in places though.
    Off road rides have to be timed carefully as the multiuser path to the forest is getting some use.

I’ve got trails within easy riding of where I live, but I’ve not been out on them. I’m in a FB group for the local trail users and everyone has been complaining that there is not enough space for the number of people. The single track is well under 6 ft so everyone is passing each other in quite close proximity. Shame because it’s going to snow again this weekend and the weather this week has been great.

ta11pau1

It’s crap.

We’ve just had 6 months of pure slop with never ending rain. The MTB trails are now bone dry and are probably running the best they have been for ages.

And we can’t ride them.

There’s only so much busy towpath or road riding a mountain biker can handle…

nickdavies

It’s great but really I’m sure we’d all like it to be under different circumstances. What’s baffling me is it’s the first time I’ve ventured out this week (been turboing since work finished but it’s too nice now) and I’m genuinely pretty much the only person in summer kit. How are people riding in tights and coats in this weather?!! Otherwise it’s lovely, people are being nice, everyone’s saying hello cheerily and most are giving distance. I’m out in the sticks though, don’t think I’d like it as much if I still lived in the middle of Birmingham.

Unfortunately back to the turbo next week as I need to ramp up the brick training and I feel a bit of a dick going out twice for excersise.

trumpton
    Free Member

One exercise a day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Has there ever been a nicer time to ride a bicycle?’ is closed to new replies.