Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Has anyone managed to rig a better clamp to a Chinese CREE front light?
  • cloud9
    Free Member

I purchased this

cree xml bike light

The light i’m happy with. The rubber clamp is definitely unsuited to mountain biking. I want to give it a proper clamp, has anyone achieved it? Please help me just avoiding having to just buy this one and be done with it

https://gb.lightmalls.com/vicmax-a20-led-bike-light-5000-lumens-2-x-cree-xm-l-u2-bicycle-front-light-cycling-lamp-include-battery-pack-and-charger

danmac
    Free Member

If you peel back the ‘protective pad’ from the bottom of the fixing bracket, does it have a screw fitted? If so, you can make a go pro mount fit. I did this with both of my solarstorm lights. I got the idea from a YouTube vid I saw a while back. Il post a link if I can find it. Took about 15mins to do both bar and helmet light

scar4me
    Free Member

Ebay Link
    Here is a basic one that would fit, but would probably be best with some glue as well as the screw.

I run one like this on a GoPro mount steerer topcap which works really well.
    One thing I will say is fixing it like this on your bars means that all the bike vibrations go through to the light. So yes it might work well, but it does reduce the life of the light as the internal connections get shaken and eventually fail.
    (I’ve had 2 lights do this now with the GoPro mounting.)
    Easy to fix with a soldering iron, but still annoying.

I did see a specific one for that model on fleabay a while back, but can’t find it now.
    I’ve got the same model shell as yours, but 15x Led for my helmet and thought it would keep it a bit closer to my head rather than the current mount with the rubber bands that stick up quite far.

Scar

spacey

I’ve had success with these on lights similar to that, although the gopro thing works well too, but I like the hope one for the bars.

letmetalktomark

I have previously used one of these to good affect:

Clicky McClick Face

Jeaster

+1 for the Hope QR bracket

jekkyl

I keep mine stable by wrapping a segment of inner tube round the handlebars, enough layers so it doesn’t move.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I had / have those lights, they were frankly a liability. They may not be the 10,000lm they advertise, but they’re mighty bright, especially when they swing backwards and aim straight into your face.

I tried removing the mount on the bottom of mine, but it wasn’t flat and I couldn’t find any better mounts that would fit it.

hardtailonly

I keep mine stable by wrapping a segment of inner tube round the handlebars, enough layers so it doesn’t move.

This. I’ve run all sorts of lights with this set up. Use the smallest rubber O-ring, a layer of inner tube and I’ve found it absolutely fine.

alric
    Free Member

iirc I tapped a thread for a bigger screw on mine.

sv

Some self amalgamating tape around the bar then just use the oring mount.

oikeith

I converted my Crees to go pro brackets with a long bolt and some washers, worked fine for the one on my helmet and bars. If needed to do it again I’d look at the Hope bracket people have linked too.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I had a similar light a few years back – I just removed the plastic mount and screwed on the Hope clamp mentioned above. Stuck a bit of foam rubber in-between to account for the non-flat surface.

It was rock solid after that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone managed to rig a better clamp to a Chinese CREE front light?’ is closed to new replies.