Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • *hangs head in shame* Which sub £100 espresso maker?
  • geoffj

No stovetops please, already got one and the process wastes too much leccy.

I’ve already tried a Gaggia Cubika and a De’Longhi* fail, so other suggestions please

TIA

*Yes I know in all likelyhood some cackhandendess of the operator may have played a part in the demise of these too – so recommendations need to be burly!

wwaswas

sub £100 and burly are likely to be mutually exclusive, I’d imagine 🙁

geoffj

sub £100 and burly are likely to be mutually exclusive, I’d imagine

*checks down back of sofa

OK, sub £200 then 👿

HermanShake
    Free Member

Handpresso?

wwaswas

have you considered a Nespresso machine? We’ve had ours for nearly 3 years and it’s not put a foot wrong.

rwc03
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Nespresso also. Fresh coffee with a good crema everytime. Spend more on coffee than I previously, but the coffee is much better than a stove top. Not as good as a proper espresso machine with some one who knows how to use it, but you’re looking at a grand for that. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve just purchased some refillable capsules, so you can use your own coffee if you like.

geoffj

have you considered a Nespresso machine?

Sort of, but I thought the capsules were very expensive. Is that the case?

maxray
    Free Member

interested to see where this goes, currently surviving with a 1mug sized cafitiere and some lavazza espresso coffee

simon_g

Between 28 and 33p each.

WEJ

Mypressi Twist review

with a good handgrinder will give excellent espresso for less than £200

geoffj

Between 28 and 33p each.

Where from Simon?

wwaswas

as above, about 30p a cup.

I’m not sure how that compares to a decent ‘proper’ coffee but you get consistent results, can have a variety of blends on the go and and not worry about the coffee going ‘off’ before you get around to drinking it.

ransos
    Free Member

We managed to get a Gaggia classic for a little over £200 – shop around.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No stovetops please, already got one and the process wastes too much leccy.

The laws of physics clearly state that spending £200 on a coffee machine will take the same ammount of energy to boil the water as a stove top (assuming minimal heat loss to the air from the stove top is aproximately what your machine will use up running pumps, on standby etc).

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Nespresso convert here too. Had several German and Italian ‘proper’ coffee machines over the years and had issues with all of them. Now have an Nespresso machine at home and at the office and love it. Bought the new Delonghi Latissima as I like a frothy one every now and then but even the cheapy ones make good espressos. The capsules are 29-35p each depending on the blend online or from certain shops (the queue at the Nespress concession in Selfridges is always mind boggling!). Heats up in 45 seconds and switches itself off after a few minutes of inactivity.

If it’s good enough for Heston at his £250 a head restaurant, it’s good enough for me and just no hassle at all which can’t be said for all the machines I have had the past. The milk-less ones have literally nothing to clean.

geoffj

Come on then, where’s the burr grinder contigent to make the case for the defence?

zokes
    Free Member

but the coffee is much better than a stove top

I hate to say it, but you’re doing it wrong then… Probably on too hot or for too long.

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a Handpresso, much better than a Stovetop and portable. 😉

simon_g

Where from Simon?

I just mail order direct. Free delivery if you order 200 or more at once. They take away the used capsules for recycling too.

theotherjonv

queue at the concession in harrods is much smaller, and you get to gawp at the hideous stuff on offer in the home furnishings department too. Plus they’ll make you a coffee to try while you’re there, and if you take the kids they’ll load your bag up with biscuits for them as well.

rwc03
    Free Member

I hate to say it, but you’re doing it wrong then… Probably on too hot or for too long.

Have you tried the nespresso coffee? In my opinion it is better than a stove top, pressure is at 9 bar which is ideal for a good crema, and higher than a stove top (2-3 bar at a guess). The coffee is always fresh too. A packet of coffee is off in 10 days, grinding beans counters this but adds a bit more faff.

Stove top coffee is good and I made it like that for years, but with the nespresso machine you do get good consistent coffee quickly.

I’m starting to sound like a salesman so I’ll stop here, but the consistency of good cups of coffee is it’s main selling point.

zokes
    Free Member

Well, I have a burr grinder so my coffee’s always fresh too. I just know how easy it is to make a bad coffee with the stove top, but with a little effort, it can be very good. I have tried nespresso a couple of times, but found the coffee itself lacking – certainly compared to the hundreds of varieties available to me here. The guy who runs the coffee shop I frequent also uses a stove-top at home, which has stopped me looking further afield for a Gaggia etc.

I was given this for xmas, which makes some of the smoothest cap’s I’ve had – very gentle too for roasts that are particularly sensitive to scalding.

jp-t853

We have had a nespresso for years and really love it. I am constantly dissapointed with coffee bought out.

This shop in Carlise The Cookware Company had an end of line M200 automatic machine for £100, it is the one that has a milk frother built in for capucino & latte etc. It was a couple of months ago but if they still have it I am sure they would deliver.

Nespresso machines are 19 bar someone said 9 above

jp-t853

I see John Lewis are still offering the £40 coffee credit on some Nespresso machines

Free coffee

rwc03
    Free Member

I might have to pull mine out again Zokes and give it a whirl, probably didn’t help mine was leaking last time I used it. I do miss the little ritual of grinding the beans and setting it up to be fair.

Mukka express looks nice

AdamW
    Free Member

Bah! I got my nespresso just before this offer came out. I went to the lady demonstrating the machines and she gave me some free pods though, so can’t complain too much.

I also got an Outpresso which was pretty expensive what it is, but it means I can recycle the grinds into the compost and the pods into normal recycling. I get the pods delivered to work so recycling is a bit of a pain.

I have the coffeeduck pods too. They do work, sort of, but never as good a cup as the sealed ones.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I have a Handpresso, much better than a Stovetop and portable.

Indeed and pods give consisten results

lots_of_hope

I got one of these for Christmas, it is brilliant. I have started to taste all the flavours in the espresso, and only need to boil the kettle to make it, which is good cause the wifey only drinks tea…

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Presso-Coffee-Maker.html

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For me I couldn’t care if a Nespresso made the world’s sexiest coffee, I like the ‘faff’ that goes with grinding my own beans, the gorgeous smell they give off when I tip them into the hopper, the satisfaction of seeing that crema pour out of the Gaggia Classic and then making the frothy milk for my favoured cappuccinos.

And now my little girls sit and watch me and I usually make them a ‘babylatte’ with some little espresso cups I have.

I also love making my own bread with my new bread making machine 🙂

wwaswas

those coffeeducks are quite tempting.

Can anyone tell me how much a cups worth of proper espresso ground coffee is normally so I can work out the savings per cup?

bread making machine

the nespresso of bread making 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

bread making machine

the nespresso of bread making
    Very true 🙂 but I don’t use the ready-mixed bread kits that you just bung in, I do mix all my own ingredients – making a chili and cheese bread this week I reckon Mmmmmmm

EDIT: I can remember the faff my mum used to have making her own bread and I don’t think I have that sort of time to dedicate to it.

btbb
    Free Member

A 250g bag of good roasted beans costs around £5.00. I use 18g for a double espresso so that’s 36p

wwaswas

so that’s 36p

mmm, so a few pennies more per cup and a lot more faff.

Might give it a go but it’s not a money saver 🙁

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a Handpresso, much better than a Stovetop and portable.

Indeed and pods give consistent results

I don’t have pods, I use proper coffee.. Still get consistent results tho!

AdamW
    Free Member

Bread makers are the work of the devil, I tell thee!

I make my own bread by hand. I have a nice granite table which is great for kneading and also pastry-making.

Yesterday made 20% wholemeal/white mix. Nom, and added ‘nom nom’s. 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bread makers are the work of the devil, I tell thee!

Probably, but I guess I am at the ‘Nespresso’ end of my bread making journey whereas I have progressed on from that stage with my coffee making 🙂

TiRed

Nespresso convert here. The Krups Essensa automatic is £90 at John Lewis and comes with £40 of free coffee. Mine sits next to a Gaggia Classic (for milk-based drinks).

Variety and consistency are the key. Plus they recycle the pods.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Nespresso here too, on my 2nd machine now-bit pricey for capsules but no wasted coffee & plenty of blends to choose from. Quick, tasty,fresh,clean,convenient-most boxes ticked there I think. The secret is to wait until an offer is on-you can often get the Aerocchino frother free which makes luvverly frothy milk at the touch of a button.

bruneep

A 250g bag of good roasted beans costs around £5.00

Need to change your supplier,I can get a 500g bag from local coffee shop that roasts on the premise for under £5

FWIW I use a Jura machine

simon_g

AdamW > when did you buy it? They keep sending me offers that I can give to friends for £x of club credit when they buy a machine between certain dates. You just need to send off your receipt to them with a form. I’ll see if I have any knocking about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘*hangs head in shame* Which sub £100 espresso maker?’ is closed to new replies.