Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Hang on, why am I doing all the work?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Are modern dads a touch too modern. I’m building and decorating my grand daughters nursery and the dads on his arse playing computer games.

The power tools are coming out now, i hope we don’t have an accident 👿

creamegg
    Free Member

No point telling us. Tell him to get off his arse

jam-bo

Working so hard your on here?

Life is tough for you eh?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to go out for a lnog bike ride.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be doing it if he’s sat on his arse.

project
    Free Member

Are modern dads a touch too modern. I’m building and decorating my grand daughters nursery and the dads on his arse playing computer games.

The power tools are coming out now, i hope we don’t have an accident

You can have some nasty accidents with a chain saw and a play station being cut in half, a gamesconsole being drilled to the wall, and cables accidently severed by a mis placed circular saw.

Then therwe s the hot sugary builders tea down the back of the tv.

Haze

Let him finish his game, could be a long standing appointment…a clan match with team mates relying on him!

You wouldn’t like your club runs interrupted would you?

If it’s not just tell him you need to have the power off 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Modern man seems to have it sorted!!

Pity the old fool doing the hard work 😉 bet he hasn’t even got you any beers

oldgit
    Free Member

Working so hard your on here?

Tea break.
    I’m finding it amusing. I’ve dismantled all the old built in wardrobes and I’m carrying each panel down the stairs to cut up outside.
    The guys shameless.

BenjiM

I found with my father in law that he never wants any help, I’m willing to offer it and I do at every oppurtunity. He then refuses the help and complains later on that I never help or I’m not interested. No win situation really.

Drac

2 Tea breaks in 30 minutes.

I don’t know modern Grandparents are they too modern?

AD

Maybe he is sitting there fuming that you’ve taken over… 😀
    I’m assuming that it’s your son in law rather than your son too. If its your son then you definitely didn’t bring him up properly…. So it’s you’re own fault!

beinbhan

If he’s anything like my son, sitting on his arse in front of a computer is the safest place for him there’s handless and then theres him 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

2 Tea breaks in 30 minutes.

And here’s another one. Carting these panels downstairs and cutting them in half…cor blimey.

Son in law if they were married!

The way I see it is Dad does the technical stuff, and the lad helps with the graft.

bencooper
    Free Member

Maybe in your family – in our household I do the tricky stuff, my father potters about carrying and holding things. Oh, and I built my daughter’s bedroom myself, including the stud wall, the electrics, the flooring, the insulation, everything.

I’ve got friends with kids who seem to spend all their time on the Playstation. I don’t know where they get the time…

…not to mention when we went on holiday to stay with the mother-in-law, who ended up fixing her garage door, reroofing her shed, and fixing her plumbing? 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

in our household I do the tricky stuff

Good man.

kerv
    Free Member

Maybe he’s resting up for upcoming epic sportive race?

therag
    Free Member

Make sure you leave a pile of gear blocking in his car or bedroom when you have to rush off because of the important phone call your about to get. 🙂
    My dad is always around to help with any building work, the fatherinlaw fitted about 7 tiles 9 years ago.

boblo
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    <snip>
    ….and fixing her plumbing….

Blimey! Above and beyond the call of duty that one old son… 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

be a man and speak to him..

I can’t think of anything worse than a resentful father-in-law storing up unspoken grudges..

failing that pretend that you’ve fallen down the stairs and broken your hip.. that should wake him up

oldgit
    Free Member

the fatherinlaw fitted about 7 tiles 9 years ago.

😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Blimey! Above and beyond the call of duty that one old son…

I wondered how long that would take 🙂

Northwind

You obviously want to be doing the work, and he doesn’t. Get on with it.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

So your son in law is spending time at leisure while some chump does a load of hard graft for him, for free. Sounds like a pretty clued up fellow to me

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would help him and perhaps do it if he lacked the skills.
    However I would not do this whilst a grown man played whilst I worked unless him being there was worse than him not being there.

Murray

My wife has a habit of inviting her dad around to do DIY that I don’t want done (e.g. pointless cupboard in utility room that made it too narrow to get a pram through). Despite that I helped him.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Surely a quick shout down the stairs:

“You gonna sit there on your lazy arse playing your little game all day or are you going to do some work towards getting your daughters nursery finished?”

Should do the trick. Straight forward, unambiguous and succinct.

rp16v
    Free Member

do exacly 50% of the work he asked u to do then say its your turn to “help” and bugge off for a ride in areas whare phones dont work

glenh
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about your grandchild, who has a father who still hasn’t grown out of playing computer games.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Tell him there’s 25 gamerpoints and an achievement for assembling furniture.

stew1982
    Free Member

I seem to have got it good: I’m pretty good DIY’er (if I do say so myself) My Dad is even better (if a little slow) and always willing to help do anything, and my father in law can’t even change a light bulb, but can afford people to do everything for him and is pretty generous with his “help” 8)

oldgit
    Free Member

Well he finally did something. He carried the new carcasses upstairs, but put them where I needed to build them up so I had to move the whole lot.
    Then while I was doing something else I asked him to move the old double bed, which to be fair he did. I just meant more than eight inches.

br
    Free Member

remember to get your wife to remind your daughter about the waster she married 😉

Bazz

I’m banned from all forms of DIY, however if you want something cooked or baked or a bike serviced/repaired then i’m always available. My family know this and all is fine.

mboy
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about your grandchild, who has a father who still hasn’t grown out of playing computer games.

Everything is fine in moderation. Nothing wrong with computer games, definitely wrong with sitting playing them though when he should really be helping out the DIY or even doing it himself!

Besides, there’s millions of people out there who’d argue that maybe the girls grandad should stop playing about with bikes and grow old gracefully! Just for balance and to play devils advocate like… 😉

bedmaker

<prince philip> Is he African? /<prince philip>

Sandwich

Besides, there’s millions of people out there who’d argue that maybe the girls grandad should stop playing about with bikes and grow old gracefully! Just for balance and to play devils advocate like…

Burn the heretic…

plitts
    Free Member

Seems to be the way of the world for the under 25s.
    Good to see you still posting!

TooTall
    Free Member

Won’t someone think of the children?

Some poor girl whose dad hasn’t grown up yet and her grandad is a miserable old bugger with a simmering resentment and an inability to communicate. I only hope the women of her family are a bit more sorted than the men.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Hang on, why am I doing all the work?’ is closed to new replies.