Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, that was rather lovely!

Couple of hours of road/track/grrravel action around Dummer, Farleigh Wallop, the Candovers etc.

Bluebells aplenty (Didn’t stop for pictures, sorry!), the stench of wild garlic up by FW was stunning. Oh, and lots of ickle baby lambs! They’re going to taste soooo good! 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, and forgot to say, if you’re planning a ride through Preston Candover, take at least a gravel bike! They’re resurfacing the road and it’s a bit of a beast!

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers lummox… Will have a look and see if I can translate that onto garmin maps.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Gentle spin and exploring around, a few too many stiles and cow pie though 🙁 stopped off to see my mates new dinghy (RS Areo) declined to have a go as water freezing. Continuing getting the FS back into service as Alps soonish I hope

brassneck

Bluebells looking good in Collingbourne. It’s almost Hampshire.

Didn’t go too far off the track to get a proper ‘carpet’ pic as the singletrack was in perfect form.

johnj2000
    Free Member

South Downs where looking lovely yesterday. I have a pic but can never get it right trying to upload on here 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Two fantastic days of pootling in Wiltshire. 8)

What have you guys been up to then, besides bb moaning about his rubbish soup. 😆

johnj2000
    Free Member

I have been falling off a lot CG. Mainly at the QECP day/night Enduro, in retrospect it was great fun and very well organised, at the time I was a little annoyed with myself.

dhmky
    Free Member

QECP is whack

I’ve knocked up a short vid of me chasing my mate down QECP Red Route on a slippery morning in the other day (just before the enduro race)! I had forgotten how fun the Red Route is since it has been overhauled.

Check out the corner dabs! To be fair its pretty hard not to hang a foot out on those chalky berms, especially when wet

It is in 720p! For some reason youtube shows it in 420p as default.

Check it…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well then.. Well then indeed.. My soup debacle. A simple choice turned complex… Unlike the riding I’ve been doing.

Most of my riding during the early months of the year had been out of my door, up into the Downs and a bounce or two then home. Structured intervals for me with some really hard escapades during the dim winter months, then a flurry of springtime rides a sougern into Yorkshire for some block training all intermingled with hard road Hacks with the club around Hertfordshire/Kent/Surrey. A wide and varied landscape, pictured by barren swooping fields, scratched mud surfaces, flint, sullen sheep, ice and freezing temperatures during the early season. A vast variety of courses and routes on both CX’er and Roadie, a myriad of weather fronts from stunning cold sunshine to blistering winds freezing snot dribbles… Then spring turned up, a few early warm days, legs grew longer into the warmer temperatures and extended days in the saddle, deep winter clothing jettisoned for thinner breathable jackets, long legs disappeared cast into the wardrobe for another two seasons rest. Short arms and legs (shaven) and no gloves now form the late spring season, warm sunshine now bakes my back and shoulders, tan lines have appeared along with a burnt nose.

I have seen the seasons change in 3 counties (Hampshire, Londonshire(covering Herts/Kent/Surrey)Yorkshire) each allowing me to witness a vast diverse wildlife culture. Stunning landscapes, hedges turned from barren see through twigs into full blossom leaf filled curtains. Bugs and birds dancing through blustery forests, wind blown chop on Solent waters, mirror flat Hamble prickled with unused boats. Stark granite outcrops and mellow moss with slithers of streams gravity driven into valleys as old as time. Poncy faux Tudor New Biuld houses in spurious locations, buildings springing up left/right and off centre, mud strewn roads more akin to Bridleways and sublime singletrack.

I came home from a stint in Town, 5 weeks of working back in an office, away from my heartland, my soulland, my glorious Hampshire. Green, green and more green and very pleasant Land, it’s changed, it’s woken up, it’s reawakened blooming flowers, leaves heavy with dew, fields bursting with growth. Warm winds off the Sea, calm winds, wind that carries a subtle scent of life.

I’m home and Hampshire is stunning.

dhmky
    Free Member

Hampshire is a hidden gem. A little secret. Only those who know, know. Get in with the locals if you want to find the best places. 30 years of riding dh, dj, xc road and i am still discovering mind blowing places on my door step. Hampshire is the best.

cinnamon_girl

john – it’s all about having fun but hope you’re not too sore!

My word bb, that is really poetic and pleased that you’re enjoying being home. 😀 You wouldn’t get ready-made soup in Hampshire would you!

dhmky – yeah, Hampshire is good. Was up there a couple of weeks ago visiting my favourite bluebell woods followed by lunch at Lasham Gliding Club. 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Anyone riding Sat morning ? Thinking of a couple of hours at QECP perhaps as I have a borrowed car so mobile.

@john send me your photo and I’ll post it. I gave up with Flickr now using photobucket.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Picture sent to gmail account jambalaya.

Off to swinley tomorrow and then maybe QECP Friday afternoon, unfortunately Saturday I am on childcare duties as wife is away.

johnj2000
    Free Member

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks Andy 🙂 a view from QECP before starting the blue climb

cinnamon_girl

An ‘interesting’ ride yesterday that started off so promising with my first crossing of the A303 and within 500 metres 3 roe deer were startled by me. One was resplendent in its Summer coat, the others were so last season with their Winter coats. 😀

Thought I spotted some singletrack in the rather large and desolate wood so will be going back sometime to scope. Dropped into the valley for some road miles then climbed back up to the ridge and into the wood for a second time when some drizzle appeared. Jeez it’s lonely in there!

Navigation error saw me take the wrong track exiting the wood to cross the A303 again. Believe it or not there is a bridleway that runs alongside (not easily rideable due to very long grass) but it actually changes sides! 😯 Bloomin’ frightening when lorries went closely past and left there asap for a quieter pedal.

What have you been up to?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Had a beaut of a ride today! North through Kingsclere, towards Tadley, lots of bimbling around through Wolverton, Charter Alley sort of way on road and track before heading back to the ‘hood.

Perfect weather, dry trails and fast roads. Perfect, really. Found some lovely linking bridleways, one of which (SE of Hannington) was a glorious chalk and flint flyer, more than enough to keep things fun on 30mm tyres!

Village was packed with cyclists when I got home, all looking very happy. There was one family that looked very STW…..Chap in a POC helmet and allthegear(Not sure about idea!) and his wife/other half with their kids on Islabikes. Looked like they were having a super time of it!

Happy, happy, happy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Original plan of Sat am at QECP had to be modified and did an XC ride today from the mouth to the “source” of the River Hamble. Weather better than I thought it might have been, mix of everything, fast and dry to boggy, wide open to nettle frenzies. A day where the reality exceeded my limited expectations. 26km in 2hrs is rapid for me 🙂

By the way CFH, Poc helmet, all the gear and no … for a moment I thought youd spotted me !

thomthumb
    Free Member

anyone know the forest well?

help a brother out

hilldodger
    Free Member

any recommendations for bike friendly B’n’Bs in the area?
    Hoping to do a week or so road tour of the area in July and just can’t face camping for that long- these old bones need comfortable nights and good food for anything over a weekend trip!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

any recommendations for bike friendly B’n’Bs in the area?

Which area? It’s a big old county!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes, and I want to see it all…
    But seriously, planning on 7-10 days riding with no real plan yet so figured on finding decent places to stay then work out a route

Only live next door in Surrey so first stop probably Winchester(ish) or Salisbury(ish)

Would be thinking north of the county, not coastal or the forest

hilldodger
    Free Member

Although Salisbury isn’t really Hampshire 😳

A look at a map this time suggests train to Southampton then vaguely follow the Test Valley in a meandering sort of way home

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a Roadie Randonee for my Club, expanded my more normal roads by taking in some lovely less travelled lanes and have ended up with a real classic 90k and an extra 35k for the more spirited on mind and legs.
    We’re all gathering late June and when we’re out you really will not miss who we all ride for 😆 and what Club we’re in, I’m not giving anything away but for sure some of you who know where I ride will spot us lot from some distance…

As for somewhere to stay BnB, well have you tried Meon Springs Fly Fishery at West Meon ? They’ve just finished building Yurts and they look fabulous. Some of my lot are staying in a large one (sleeps 6 with wood burner/BBQ/beds and sofas with added luxury you can bring your bikes inside).. Try them, very friendly indeed. It’s situated at the bottom of the valley just over Old Winchester Hill on the SDW the other side of West Meon.

As for CX’ing well now the nettles and brambles are out it’s certainly getting a little itchy and scratchy, the path hat runs N/S along the Curbridge side of the Hamble that Jambo’s done ^^ is getting more overgrown each day. Bottley Woods and Bere Forest are too becoming overgrown, so hacking through is now becoming slower paced as I’m weaving my way along the teeny single track.

As for the Meonstoke railway (Wickham Lines) I’ve managed to get a couple of KOMs going North now the railway lines we all know and love and have an opinion on have been hard packed with gravel. It’s running fast and in parts a little loose but it’s bedding in well. It’s a track I use a lot for heading either way on the SDW as a training loop and it’s proving more popular with other riders too.

Hampshire is stunning, I’m loving it 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Salisbury still counts! (I may be biased, though….!)

Keep an eye on The White Hart in Overton. About to re-open, under Upham Ales, and will have rooms. Should, also, be bike friendly. If not the latter, I suspect I could find a local STW member or two willing to store your bikes overnight! 😉 Might cost you a couple of beers, though.

There are a few in Stockbridge to look at. IIRC, the Three Cups will take a bike or two, and does great beer too!

The Bush, in Ovington, has superb food, a glorious location and rooms.

hilldodger
    Free Member

3 Cups does look tempting 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

I’ll offer a recommendation for the Fox Goes Free nr Singleton… OK it’s not quite Hampshire, but it is just off the South Downs and we had a superb stay last summer when doing the SDW, complete with starlit roast in the garden. You could put together some vey appealing riding in Hants and the west of West Sussex.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can’t say I am a Hampshire riding expert (25 years a Surrey/NDW resident FYI) but I would base a 7-10 day Hampshire riding trip around something like the following with accommodation arranged after, mix of Hampshire and Sussex

South Downs Way – Winchester / QECP (pub in x does B&B I think) / Bignor Hill Hostel / fun in Stamner Woods / Whitways / Storrington Pub B&B / onwards to Eastborne. Then a way back to Portsmouth (train?) for a day or two on the IOW finish with ferry from Yarnouth to Lymington. A day in New Forest or straight to Poole/Piurbecks for a day or two there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pub near QECP with rooms is the Five Bells in Buriton You can ride into the park and onto the SDW right from the door

hilldodger
    Free Member

All good suggestions, thanks – I’ll be riding on road (this time) though so won’t be venturing onto the SDW or QECP 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hoping to do a week or so road tour

Oops guilty of not ready that properly 😳

A week of road riding around Hampshire, seems a bit dull to me but I am MTB only. How about getting a train out West (eg Plymouth) and riding back, wind should be behind you that way. Then a loop of the IOW, New Forest but I am struggling to think of a weeks worth of ideas.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes, some may find it dull but my few rides around Hampshire have found delightful backroad riding with leisurely lunch breaks.
    Add in some overnight ale stops and it would be my idea of near perfection 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Not keeping up with this thread!

hilldodger – have you decided what areas of Hampshire you’re visiting? I do remember throwing some suggestions of areas at you a while back.

hilldodger
    Free Member

..have you decided what areas of Hampshire you’re visiting?

well allowing for stretching the boundaries a little I’m looking at a triangle of Southampton-Salisbury-Winchester

cinnamon_girl

hilldodger – that should be really pleasant but a shame you’re missing out the Northern Test Valley as there is some stunning scenery. 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

… a shame you’re missing out the Northern Test Valley

Hopefully summer will be long enough for several visits 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

My sister does plenty of road loops from Kings Sombourne, the area is popular with roadies and I think one group meets in the pub at Horsebridge

cinnamon_girl

Hopefully summer will be long enough for several visits

Fingers crossed for you! Hampshire is a big county. 🙂

jam – The John O’Gaunt suffered a fire recently but, yes, it’s popular with cyclists. Have eaten there too at lunchtime.

cinnamon_girl

Witterings about routes and waymarking across SalisburyPlain …

The NCN (north/south) route across Salisbury Plain is no longer marked as such on the latest OS Explorer map, nor is it marked on their ‘get-a-map’ product.

Different story though on the Sustrans website where it’s still shown as an (off road) NCN and it becomes interesting where the rights of network has been extended on the Plain. The new rights of way are shown as ‘on road’ routes which is totally misleading as they’re actually off road.

Dullest post of the day?

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.