Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Haix Army Boots Comparison
  • crikey
    Free Member

IMO they are not the kind of thing to be wearing if you are looking for coolness. I’ve got the cold weather HAIX and they are big waterproof monster boots; standing in streams, 10 inches of watery mud, slogging through deep heather…

I think the difference between the summer and winter boots is the weight and coverage with leather.

I have worn them in wet summery conditions without drowning in sweat, but if I wanted cool feet… they’re not the first choice.

Lowa mid desert boots appear to be the footwear of choice amongst a couple of people who work in hot places for large sums of money.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Don’t touch the Haix, they are utterly shite. If you want to know what wearing them is like, buy a pair or £5 wellies, go stomp in some clay till each boot weighs about 10 times what it should do, then you have an approximate representation of how good they are.

crikey
    Free Member

Haix are not that bad; if i had to do a big wet walk and keep dry feet, id wear them.

They are very much a Northern European combat boot, and are heavy but dependable and comfy.

zippykona

Got some P9s off ebay and the soles are shot. The water soaks upwards making them useless. They are going back.

They seem comfy enough and not too warm. New one are a fortune whereas the ones listed above are cheap and I was hoping they are the same as the P9 except for the leather.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m not sure, but I seem to recall @CountZero uses similar boots; he’s probably a good source of info.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have the Haix High Liabilty Boots and think there fine, but I just use them for yomping round the woods with the kids and general shitty weather boots as I’m not a big fan of wellies.

They are pretty solid and heavy boots I suppose whether there suited to you just depends what use you want them for and how sensitive  you are to heavy footwear (Wore steel toe cap boots for many years so dont mind big clumpy footwear).

zippykona

Unovolo could you weigh one of your boots for me please?

I need pair of boots to walk to work in 3 miles of mud and puddles . They also need to be  boots for climbing on rocks and through water on the beach.

Then cool enough for sitting in the pub and walking through the airport.

crikey
    Free Member

boots

These weigh 917 grams each; I’m not a boot nerd, i’m just near the scales in the kitchen…

Size 8…

Waterproof, warm, comfy and look very like Meindl Bhutans when covered with trousers.

About £45 from army surplus stores.

bobmac892

21 years of wearing a variety of hiking type boots for work, Aultberg, Meindl, British Army boots German Para boots and I’ve found the Haix as good as much more expensive ones. The high liability Combat boot is warm, waterproof and polish up well in the black colour. I have the brown suede desert version for kicking about outside of work and they’re comfy and cool enough to use for all day active wear through the summer months. The Dessert version are not water proof but I also like the over toe protection at the front mainly because it stops the rand separating from the leather on the toe of the standard design. Best of all has been the Army surplus prices which have consistently worked out about £20 cheaper than re-soling the current boots.

I tried the Haix Airpower but found the sizing came up narrower and therefor smaller for me and wound up selling them on at a loss. Back to the Haix High Liability Combat boot when I next need a new pair. In fact I believe my work are moving to supplying our boots and think they should go with the Haix High Liability Combat boot as the best all rounder.

Kato

We get issued Haix GSG9 at work and I find they size up really narrow and I can’t get on with them. Wearing Salomon Quest 4D Forces and they’re much better. A bit warm in the summer though. Both waterproof

stevemorg2

Have only worn the warm weather Haix boots and they were shite – I had blisters from day 1 (not had any issues with Akus or Altbergs)

RustyNissanPrairie

I own 2 pair of Haix hi liability, a pair of cold wet weather and a pair of the desert boots. I ditched my original Brashers supalites, Meindl desert fox and Altberg Defenders once I discovered Haix they are that good.
    Worn daily doing 8-10miles with my Karelian Bear dog (so not easy miles). Have done Snowdon twice, Skafell, loads of Lakeland stuff all without issue.

All bought new and boxed off eBay with spare laces and footbed spacers.

Clean with either Nikwax leather wax or Haix cream – don’t use wax based polishes.

zippykona
    ceept

I’ve got a pair of high liability desert issue & really pleased with them so far. They are easily weatherproof enough for everyday use & I find them comfortable enough to wear all day.

I went for desert ones as they dry quicker than waterproof ones. If it’s wet & I’m in the hills I wear knee length seal skins (army issue are 1/2 the price of MTB ones & seem identical).

CountZero

@crikey – the boots I wear are Meindle Desert Fox, ex-British Army issue from eBay.
    I’ve got four pairs, all bar one pair were pretty much unworn, and I didn’t pay more than £38 for any of them, one pair were £28. They retail for £170.
    Two pairs have been worn a lot, one pair practically every day for two or three years, have been resoled but the midsole is now breaking down. The uppers are still fine though.
    They’re fantastic boots, just really comfy and mine were worn all day at work, in the evening and at weekends, and for long country walks.
    These are a good example:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233356830994

crikey
    Free Member

🙂

I thought you’d mentioned that you used them, thank you for confirming that my memory is still ok!

unovolo
    Free Member

Unovolo could you weigh one of your boots for me please?

Sorry about late reply, Individual boot weighs 924gms,

Thats for the leather boot with Goretex lining and a extra insole for added comfort.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Haix Army Boots Comparison’ is closed to new replies.