Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 181 total)
  • GX AXS imminent release?
  • honourablegeorge

Shimano patents seem to point to wireless shifters but with the battery wired to the mech.

Which maybe means a cheaper mech that’s got less to damage, but needs a home for a battery. (Ideal for Ebikes though)

timbog160

Just ordered mine from Lordgun. Now just got to wait to see if I get nobbled for the vat. If not I’ll be saying Cheers Bozo!

bruneep

what price did you pay at checkout?

LG seem to add VAT

tails
    Free Member

That’s a decent RRP (let’s not compare rrp vs what someone paid 18 months ago, shall we…) especially considering X01/XX1 axs upgrade kits were £975 rrp at launch.

Should mean it’ll be available for closer to £400 once the world has calmed down a bit.

seems to have been well received by the press so sales gonna be high, not sure this will hit the discounters for a long time. Especially as shimano have nothing close to comparable, more chance of microshift making something. Think Shimano have put their money into ebikes

DickBarton

Suspect there is a smaller number of items for stock as I’m getting very regular email alerts to say item is in stock but when I go to order on the site it changes to get a reminder as it is out of stock – seems to be in stock and then a half hour later it is gone…suspect stock levels are low but demand does seem to be there.

timbog160

LG added vat to the price shown but not charged. I paid 508 euros…

erictwinge
    Free Member

hmm was super tempted until i realised im also gonna need new cassette, chain, and freehub… so its more like a £750 upgrade for me… waiting for that shimano version!

julians
    Free Member

Just ordered mine from Lordgun. Now just got to wait to see if I get nobbled for the vat. If not I’ll be saying Cheers Bozo!

you almost certainly will end up being charged Vat , import duty and a handling fee on top, I’d expect it to come out at more or less the rrp , possibly more, once all those are taken into account.

I recently (post brexit) bought something from lordgun – took about 4 weeks to arrive, and got charged vat, import duty and handling fee when it landed in this country – not unexpected.

timbog160

Which is fine tbh – it would simply have been a bonus if not…though I won’t be happy with a 4 week wait!

tomhoward

hmm was super tempted until i realised im also gonna need new cassette, chain, and freehub… so its more like a £750 upgrade for me… waiting for that shimano version!

Any 12s cassette will work, so just get one that matches your current freehub. £50 saved 😉

DrP

Just got one of the last ones from Wiggle for £488 (platinum discount..).annoyingly they had 10% off voucher that ran out YESTERDAY!

Will see how it is when it arrives… I’m currently running XO1 mechanical, which is sweet, but…SHINY NEW STUFF!!

DrP

DrP

Here’s a thought… I’ve an XO1 rear mech… could i swap the cage/jockey wheels off it, and save a handful of grammes?? Might have a play about making a franken AXS~!!!

DrP

teethgrinder

Depends. Might have different cages if X01 is a 10-50t mech. New Eagle mechs are 10-52t.

DrP

Hmm..but my cassette is 50t, so not a hugh problem…

DrP

tails
    Free Member

Just watched a video, it’s got an overload feature so it moves on rock strikes so hopefully less likely to get smashed than traditional.

tomhoward

Same as XX1 AXS. From the reviews there genuinely seems to be no difference in function, save for about 80g in weight. Can’t help but wonder if they’ve shot themselves in the foot a bit here. Is an 80g weight reduction worth the extra? Why buy XX/XO1? Are they planning on (mainly) selling those OEM for top line builds?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

not read any of this but I’m waiting for the next-gen Di2.

I have the 11spd version of Di2 but if Shimnao manage a (part) wireless 12spd then I’m in.

honourablegeorge

tomhoward

Same as XX1 AXS. From the reviews there genuinely seems to be no difference in function, save for about 80g in weight.

And for those of us (me included) reticent about smashing mechs, a steel cage might be a plus over the more expensive aluminium

DickBarton

How regular an occurrence is the smashed rear mech though? Bent hangers are definitely popular, but I’ve not seen a mangled rear mech for a good long time – not saying it doesn’t happen but the AXS solution appears to have designed in a bit more capacity to be skelped before it properly fails.

Not arguing the fact they aren’t cheap, but they do have a bit more of a design thought in them for helping reduce the likelihood of the mech getting properly mangled than mechanical mechs – it might be something that can be added to the mechanical stuff as it does seem to work.

lardman
    Free Member

Price wise I dont think GX AXS will be as cheap as folk are hoping.

My LBS has stock @ £554.

honourablegeorge

DickBarton

How regular an occurrence is the smashed rear mech though? Bent hangers are definitely popular, but I’ve not seen a mangled rear mech for a good long time

My 11s XTR mech is on it’s third bike, so not often. My main experience with mangled mechs has been my only forays into SRAM ownership, had two GX 10s mechs destroy themselves, and one of the early Zees which just exploded and got warrantied.

All that said, it still seems a daft place to put four hundred quid’s worth of electronics and motors

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I was thinking about upgrading to XX1 AXS as current setup XX1 but what’s the point to save 80 grams, I wonder if the XX1 upgrade will come down in price.

All the write ups I’ve read about GX AXS have been excellent.

julians
    Free Member

Have ordered one of these, managed to get it for 10% off, so £498 ,should be here next week.

lawman91

Got mine last Friday, day after Launch. 2 rides on it so far and its ace, as the reviews have said, feels far crisper and more consistent than any mechanical Eagle drivetrain I’ve had. Adds about 70g over the mechanical X01 I took off, which is not much really although the rear mech is CHUNKY! It’s still not cheap, but its going to be popular for sure, especially for the OE market on complete bikes next year.

Superficial
    Free Member

£498

I said up top that £500 was my bite point. Still not sure though, and don’t think I’ll dive in yet. But If I needed a new mech and shifter I might find that hard to resist.

honourablegeorge

I bought it too, massive hypocrite that I am. Had made up my mind to go 12s on the big bike anyway, nd it was only a bit extra over X01/XTR ,neither of which seem to be available anyway.

DrP

my order was made with wiggle on friday… still no dispatch note or update yet…

WAHHHHH

DrP

onewilddiesel
    Free Member

ordered thursday, delivered friday, fitted friday night & ridden on saturday,

can echo lawman91s comment about it shifting better than the GX mechanical that came off the bike,
    so far loving it

DickBarton

Wiggle seem to have a 2-4 week wait for stock, so although I missed the chance to buy, it also sounds like I wouldn’t have got it any time sooner anyway…just as well as I’m not sure I need it other than just owning it for the sake of owning it, at least this way I’ve got time to have a think and decide if I really need it or not.

bigyan
    Free Member

How regular an occurrence is the smashed rear mech though? Bent hangers are definitely popular, but I’ve not seen a mangled rear mech for a good long time

Pretty common on MTBs now, a lot of modern mech hangers are so thick/stiff the mech fails first

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And for those of us (me included) reticent about smashing mechs, a steel cage might be a plus over the more expensive aluminium

Depends where/how it hits I suppose.

If you made the cage frangible then that might save the linkage which is the bit that seems to get mangled IME.

It’s not great whichever part you make sacrificial. If you rip the cage off or bend/break the hanger you’ve then got a coin toss between the mech surviving and just being launched into the rear wheel/wrapper arround the cassette and being broken anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’d be nice if they made the parts more repairable/serviceable.

e.g.

A control box with the battery, electronics and a stepper motor that clipped on the back. A threaded rod to drive the linkage, then you could have a ‘mech’ that was no more complicated or expensive than the (already expensive) GX mech? as is you’ve got a £250 package of electronics that’s scrap when the £100 linkage it’s attached to clips a rock.

julians
    Free Member

Those of you that have gone AXS, what did you do with the various holes in the frame where the derailleur cables were routed through now they are no longer needed?

Did you just put a bit of tape over the hole, or have you found some blanking grommets that will fit?

monkeyboyjc

what did you do with the various holes in the frame where the derailleur cables were routed through now they are no longer needed?

I bought a new custom ti frame…. With no holes or cable guides 😁

dusterbenny
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon, see archer d1x or the cell shifter systems.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon, see archer d1x or the cell shifter systems.

Yea, kinda, but in a much lighter and neater package. Doesn’t need to be universal either, just think that it looks daft that the cheap breakable bit writes off the expensive bit. When I’m sure it could be repairable.

julians
    Free Member

It arrived today, its a chunky thing, but makes a satisfying buzz when changing gear.

Will get it fitted tomorrow.

honourablegeorge

My eagle cassette arrived. Bloody hell, it’s massive.

rOcKeTdOg

Had a fondle of the upgrade kit today, 5 minutes before a guy walked in and bought it. Box isn’t as nice as the high end AXS stuff 😉

SuperScale20
    Free Member

There are loads on Ebay at rrp £554 in delivery. UK Retailers

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘GX AXS imminent release?’ is closed to new replies.