Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)
  • GX AXS imminent release?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

So, we’ve all seen the pics on the other site huh?

I’m well up for a budget electric shifty thingy!

ta11pau1

‘Budget’ 😉

It was always going to trickle down, surprised it’s been this quick though, maybe sales of the XO1/XX1 stuff is a bit slower than expected.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let there be an updated reverb AXS launching alongside it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Well yes ‘budget’ is all relative. ‘Available’ is perhaps are more pertinent word in these times.

Why does the reverb need an update? Can’t they just patch the software? IGMC

ta11pau1

Why does the reverb need an update? Can’t they just patch the software? IGMC

No 200mm version on the current model.

DickBarton

Good stuff, any idea of cost?

lawman91

maybe sales of the XO1/XX1 stuff is a bit slower than expected.

Going on how many full X01 AXS groups my LBS are selling at the minute, they really aren’t selling slowly! Nice to see the mystery boxes from Insta have leaked already…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@dickbarton my guess would be slightly under double the cost of a ‘normal’ set up

ta11pau1

XO1 upgrade kit RRP is £975 so I reckon £800ish for the GX AXS upgrade kit, the only bit that’s different is the mech (and possibly a new battery?) and £150-£200 less for the mech seems about right.

droodling
    Free Member

Is that a multitool in the box too? Seems like a strange thing to bundle with a shifter

freeridenick
    Free Member

which site was this on then ?

Superficial
    Free Member

I was wondering what my ‘buy in’ price would be. I decided that £500 for mech and shifter would tempt me. But it’s no at £800.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Is that a multitool in the box too?

No that is a shatner’s bassoon for recaliberating the polarity of the influx signal on the shifter/mech hyperlength frequency

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Reportedly only a small amount less than X01 – so not exactly budget wireless for the masses 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Reportedly only a small amount less than X01 – so not exactly budget wireless for the masses 🙂

If I was planning to spend that kind of cash on a group set id probably want to just shell out 150 quid extra and get the better model. I’m not sure there are many folks out there who can afford an 800 quid shifter and mech but not one for 950.

ta11pau1

Pre-Covid you could buy the AXS upgrade kit for around £6-700 so if prices stayed like that then £500 for the GX AXS upgrade kit wouldn’t have been unusual.

Now though, can’t even see the XO1 upgrade kit in stock anywhere, let alone cheaper than RRP!

impatientbull

Perhaps the price difference is more significant for manufacturers speccing it on complete bikes?

chainbreaker
    Free Member

Whats the point then? Surely people would rather pay a bit extra for the X01 axs then. From personal experience, there’s a very big difference in shifting quality between gx and X01 so I know what one I would go for.

If it was for the OEM market, I could understand. But I feel like OEMs will just end up speccing X01 cable rather than GX axs if they’re around a similar price point as it’ll look better on a spec sheet.

monkeyboyjc

Recently bought a xo shifter and mech for £550, granted it was from the EU so I had taxed and fees to pay in the end (still cheaper then the UK).
    You can also get a force axs mech for £280 at the moment so my guess would be a sub £500 upgrade kit for a gx axs.

there’s a very big difference in shifting quality between gx and X01

I wouldn’t have thought it will be so noticable so with an axs version though…. The electronics should perfectly shift for you each time, only real difference will be weight and quality of materials. A bit like the di2 difference between ultegra and Dura ace or grx.

DickBarton

I’d suggest wireless looks better on a spec sheet than a higher end cable-operated part – a lot of people are now buying kit for the look and wireless looks far more impressive than XX or X0 rather than GX.

MTB buyers have changed and there are far more nowadays and many of those are all about the look and the latest thing (many are also very good bike riders!), so wireless is going to attract a lot of people.

monkeyboyjc

MTB buyers have changed and there are far more nowadays and many of those are all about the look and the latest thing

Haven’t we always been about the look, when it comes to expensive bling – a Paul components rear mech in the 90’s was three or four times more expensive than xtr and gave significantly worse performance – but it came in pretty colours!

I’ve always thought of bikes as affordable Ferrari’s.

andybrad

so more importantly does this mean the price of a standard gx and cassette is coming down!!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

so more importantly does this mean the price of a standard gx and cassette is coming down!!!

LOL good one!

DickBarton

If we have always been about looks then I’ve completely missed the boat on that one…have been about function though.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Maybe i’m being too cynical, but I believe the MTB industry modus operandi is to subsidise the price for OEMS, make very few spare parts available and inflate the price of replacements for end consumers. Like with ebike motors for instance.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Screw that SRAM nonsense, I want Shimano AXS!

Am I the only one?

I was actually intending on buying the AXS kit, the buy in I can accept for not having to mess around with cables but I snap a few mechs a year and £600 a go is out of the question

chakaping
    Free Member

wireless is going to attract a lot of people.

Dunno.

Nobody I know IRL is bothered about it.

dc1988

Introducing a lower range model tends to mean the higher end product goes up in price as much as the lower end one gets discounted so as to keep a reasonable price difference.

impatientbull

I was actually intending on buying the AXS kit, the buy in I can accept for not having to mess around with cables but I snap a few mechs a year and £600 a go is out of the question

I’ve found that the Overload Clutch does a good job of letting the mech move out of the way. After 14 months my XX1 AXS rear mech has quite a few scrapes but is still working perfectly.

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017163914-What-is-the-Overload-Clutch-

That said, previously I’ve found I tend to go through rear mech hangers rather than mechs.

ayjaydoubleyou

I think they have really missed a trick* with not making the “cable pull” custom tunable to make it compatible with 11 and 10 speed cassettes. I’ve got a lovely 10 speed cassette that is 200 and something grams, made a noticable improvment to suspension feel. I can climb at walking speed, and hit 20mph on tarmac. I’ve got no need for a 520% range and the associated issues that come with it.

The Archer thing could manage that – as a pull box on an existing cable mech.

*I mean I can see why, forcing everyone to buy their expensive cassettes and chains.

lawman91

In theory, there is nothing stopping you running their road AXS mech and 10-36t cassette with the MTB AXS controller if you can get an XDR rather XD freehub for your wheels.

5lab

I’ve got a lovely 10 speed cassette that is 200 and something grams, made a noticable improvment to suspension feel

you can get a 250g 11sp cassette for £50, 11 speed chains are £10 (PC1110) – I don’t think this conspiracy is working.

lawman91

Back on topic, that image is everywhere now. Here, Vital, PB, Facebook. Crazy how quick embargoed stuff spreads when one person leaks the info.

ayjaydoubleyou

you can get a 250g 11sp cassette for £50, 11 speed chains are £10 (PC1110) – I don’t think this conspiracy is working.

I’ve only kept the 10 beccause I saw no need to change from my nice XT, I’ve no real objection to 11, as you have rightly pointed out.

GX eagle though, is 450g and £150. Xx1 for 360g and £300+ pounds. Both of these would be notable dowgrade for me, despite extra cost.

In theory, there is nothing stopping you running their road AXS mech and 10-36t cassette with the MTB AXS controller if you can get an XDR rather XD freehub for your wheels.

they seemed to advise against it, or at least claim that the mtb version has additional strength and impact resistance to cope with mtb use. Also didnt know there was a further hub standard…

zerocool

I agree, in the future cable operated will be seen as the poor man’s shifting no matter how good it is. Maybe not for a while but many people look at 10/11 speed XT/XO1/XTR as a big step down from 12 speed already

kelvin

I think they have really missed a trick* with not making the “cable pull” custom tunable to make it compatible with 11 and 10 speed cassettes.

Is that really not a thing? Seems an easy thing to implement.

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree, in the future cable operated will be seen as the poor man’s shifting no matter how good it is. Maybe not for a while but many people look at 10/11 speed XT/XO1/XTR as a big step down from 12 speed already

I’m surprised you’ve found that. I have lots of geeky bike chat with my riding pals but we almost never talk about transmission (apart from when people’s Sram GX mechs kept exploding).

I think it’s because you can basically do fine on 10, 11 or 12 speed with the appropriate cassette.

Most of the geek chat seems to be about suspension, tyres & inserts, geometry & bottle cage mounts, FWIW.

bruneep

but I snap a few mechs a year and £600 a go is out of the question

Few a year? What are you doing to do this? Dont think I’ve ever snapped a mech, think 1 hanger maybe but a mech?

shanner
    Free Member

but I snap a few mechs a year

Really? You must crash a lot?

in over 20 years of riding, I’ve bent mech hangers but haven’t broke a single mech.

I run xx1 axs on my 5010v3 and its got a fair few gouges to the outer parallelogram but still functions without issue.

Interesting that the GX AXS has the battery cover that the prototype axs mechs had that were seen before release.

Price wise I dont think GX AXS will be as cheap as folk are hoping.

shanner
    Free Member

please let there be an updated reverb AXS launching alongside it.

My axs reverb was sent in for warranty in January and was told there was no stock until 20th April. I’ve since been told that stock at the distributor is low and will be for a while.

But I did wonder if there is likley an updated version coming and that being part of the reason why stock was being run down and maybe not replenished until a new version of reverb axs ships… This obviously very wishful thinking but it does line up with the usual spring release dates of new stuff from sram.

honourablegeorge

chakaping

Nobody I know IRL is bothered about it.

I don’t see the problem that it solves, really. You lose one cable, in exchange for a lot of expense, and you now have a 3/4/500 quid mech hanging out, ready to get smashed.

I get the ‘perfect shift every time thing, but my current cabled setups give me that already.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘GX AXS imminent release?’ is closed to new replies.