Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • gun experts
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Watching The American.

Are silencers usually reverse thread?

tinybits
    Free Member

not the ones I used to make (commercially)

johndoh
    Free Member

Are films usually this disjointed?

kimbers
    somouk
    Free Member

There are left or right threaded options depending on the rifle fitting. Makes no real difference to operation, still comes undone over time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

And…mercury bullets?

cynic-al
    Free Member

And…could he have made a silencer like that?

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve not seen the film so you’ll need to explain the Mercury bullets and making a silencer?

CountZero

And…mercury bullets?

I’ve…heard of this, bullets being drilled out, filled with mercury, then a copper cap carefully soldered on, but it may be just something dreamed up for a movie, a hollowpoint would have much the same effect, with less faffing, I’d have thought. There are Glaser safety shells, which are hollow bullets filled with bird shot and liquid Teflon, for use in urban areas where buildings are largely timber construction; it prevents the bullet from going through several walls, with the likely collateral damage.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve seen the film but can’t remember anything much beyond the first scene.

A silencer is just a tube with some baffles, but they don’t do much unless you have subsonic ammunition. Assuming he reloaded is own bullets to make them subsonic, then he’d have something relatively silent – like you can’t hear it from 100-odd yards.

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

Also in films when anyone is shot by a “silenced” gun they always die quietly so as not to hinder the assailants progress

brakes
    Free Member

can’t remember anything much beyond the first scene.

what about the bit by the lake with the prossie? sticks in my mind.

I think the purpose of the gun that he is building is not necessarily to be silenced but to disguise where the shot has come from.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ah yes. And that scene. He nearly shot her for having a gun in her handbag. I’d probably remember all of it with some prompting. Except making silencers apparently.

wiggles
    Free Member

Holly F’in ballbags kimbers…

Can’t fault their logic, you never know when you will get shot so everyone carry a gun 😉

Because more people with guns is clearly the way to stop gun crime.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Because more people with guns is clearly the way to stop gun crime

That is the general consenus on American forums. You’d fit right in.

ninfan
    Free Member

Far easier to make a moderator out of a car oil filter.

(and yes, a moderator on a full bore rifle makes a huge difference, doesn’t silence it, but still makes a huge difference to the loudness of the shot, and most importantly protects the shooters hearing)

wiggles
    Free Member

Sorry I forgot to use the [/sarcasm] tags.

I can’t comprehend the crazy logic of the gun nuts, just very glad I don’t live there.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sorry I forgot to use the

Me too 😉

It’s all harmless in reality. American mountainbikers don’t get into shootouts despite carrying guns. Same way we don’t smash our heads on the floor despite wearing helmets…. 😈

somouk
    Free Member

but they don’t do much unless you have subsonic ammunition. Assuming he reloaded is own bullets to make them subsonic, then he’d have something relatively silent – like you can’t hear it from 100-odd yards.

Strictly speaking if he was just trying to hide his firing location as mentioned above then it would help to suppress the ‘thud’ from the rifle making it harder to identify the firers position. The crack from the supersonic ammo would still give away the fact a shot had been made.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Its pretty accurate thus far and they remembered to screw it on left hand both times so its not a flipped shot

Soma he said subsonic

cynic-al
    Free Member

Brakes that’s right. Though it was by a river.

The”silencer” had a few steel hollow cylinders inside a bigger barrel.

The bullets were drilled the mercury poured in, presumably then capped.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The bullets were drilled the mercury poured in, presumably then capped.

Home loaders will be ROFL laughing at that, picking themselves up off the floor and going back to necking down their brass and deciding on how many grains of H414 to go with the 55gBTSP to start working up a load.
    🙄

What you need to do is take something you know a fair bit about (probably your job or main hobby) then look at how that is represented in fiction/T.V./film/newspapers. Think about that for a few min, now apply that to whatever you see represented in the media.
    In other words: ‘it’s all bollocks’

CountZero

MrSmith, thanks for the selective quoting, you seem to have missed this bit:

but it may be just something dreamed up for a movie

which is where I saw it, but I’m damned if I know where, it was years ago. I’m not a firearms expert, just someone with a layman’s interest, hence the bit quoted above.
    Are we clear on that?
    Thank you. 🙄

Scapegoat

V Max. No need for mercury. 😈

wiggles
    Free Member

You missed out talking about the bit where he used a combination of numbers and letters that mean nothing to anyone and make him seem clever 😉

CountZero

Did a bit of digging around,,and there’s lots of net scuttlebutt about Hg-loaded rounds, particularly in connection with JFK, but I found this, someone actually tried it:

I dont want to post INFO that is going to get me locked again ,like in link below….but here goes.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin…5979#post65979

I have built mercury filled bullets and It does not work well at all. I filled a standard RUN OF THE MILL lead hollow point with mercury.

I sealed the top with JB Weld .
    12 hours later after the epoxy should have cured, I found
    I had a silver, not lead-colored bullet and the epoxy
    had fell into the cavity.

That was the start of my study into “amalgams”:
    or the alloys of mercury with other metals.

Mercury goes into solution with a number of metals at room temperature, lead
    being one of them along with silver, tin, copper, zinc, aluminum, and a host
    of other metals. This is the reason you can use mercury to dissolve any leading
    in your barrels. Dont handle mercury with a gold ring on…you will be sorry.

Back to the issue, the reason the bullet surface was a bright silvery color
    was that the mercury had migrated along the free surface of the cavity and
    reacted with the fresh lead along the way. I guarantee that if you put mercury
    in a hollow point lead bullet without first coating the lead in some way you will
    wind up with a fairly brittle homogenous bullet that will not “explode” . It will instead fracture.

I did work out a method to make a mercury filled bullet but why ???? Their is no use for them and they are not that cool anyway, so I will not post the recipe.

I have some before,after and during “mercury” bullet build pics someplace.

I think a MUCH better way to go is to use OIL or Grease and fill the hollow point bullet and seal it in.

Silicone works so-so .

Their was a commercial .22lr load called hydro-core that used this type of design.

These hydro type design rounds do work.

BTW…EXploding bullets work excellent if they are built right(their are many ,many types),they will detonate everytime in gelatin as low as 800 fps and maybe a tad less.

I think the most INSANE round I have seen was the “LAST GASP” cyanide filled rounds,or maybe the GARLIC filled rounds used in the 1920s by gangsters.

I say skip ALL the EXOTICS of any type and use GOLD DOTS or RANGER T just my .02

user-removed
    Free Member

And another OMFG at Kimber’s link 😯

They’re talking about carrying concealed handguns like we talk about carrying a multi-tool!

JoeG
    Free Member

We (Americans) are even allowed to have folding knives with locking blades! 8)

Guns and knives are both available at Walmart

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Wasn’t the mercury bullet thing in Day Of The Jackal?

willard

The Edward Fox version? Yes. The [poor] remake had him shooting a tripod mounted .50 cal if memory serves.

MrSmith, I prefer TR140 and the 2156 SMK HPBT myself, but then again, I do shoot .308. I don’t moderate either, it takes too much velocity off when you are trying to reach the end of Stickledown.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Garlic round? Anti vampire?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘gun experts’ is closed to new replies.