Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Grunge. Pearl Jam. [Is there anything better?]
  • pedropete
    sharkattack

Tool? No, they weren’t/aren’t grunge

Yeah but they are better than all of grunge[/quote]

Tool fans always come out with crap like this. So self congratulating.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Silverchair. ha! Fat boy

holmesy
    Free Member

Some good bands discussed here but the whole ‘grunge/not grunge …’ chat reminds me of aggressive xc / freeride lite / gnar ….. Etc

Anyway what about the pumpkins!?

kayak23

Fugazi grunge? Get in the sea!
    Jane’s Addiction grunge? Get in a bit deeper!

beicmynydd
    Free Member

How about crazy horse / Neil young ?

duncancallum

or this side of the pond – Bush?

tpbiker
    Free Member

weren’t PJ a manufactured seatle band?

Either way ten was a brillinat album, verses was also good and vitalogy was underrated IMO. Everything since then was utter gash.

has anyone mentioned soundgarden yet?

Hobster
    Free Member

The Afghan Whigs although Mudhoney have to be up there.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Bookmarking this one, lots to look up!

Do the Melvins classify as Grunge? One of Kurt’s main influences n all that… I bloody love the Melvins

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Grunge is a completely pointless catch all phrase. But of the “grunge” music from that time Nirvana is probably the only thing I still listen to. Just been listening to Incestiside, some brilliant songs on there. Nevermind has great songs but would have sounded so much better if Albini had produced it.

markshires
    Free Member

Some great bands in there.
    A couple of modern ish ones for you
    nine black alps a Manchester band, there first album everything is, is nirvana esq. Also the vines?

mikey74
    Free Member

Do the Melvins classify as Grunge? One of Kurt’s main influences n all that… I bloody love the Melvins

They’re heading the Saturday at Temples Festival, in Bristol, this year. Already got my 3-day ticket :mrgreen:

rancid
    Free Member

Bush well up there, sixteen stone is great, good call!

olly2097
    Free Member

sharkattack – Member
    Tool? No, they weren’t/aren’t grunge

Yeah but they are better than all of grunge
    Tool fans always come out with crap like this. So self congratulating

Yep. My experience of tool fans; Put Maynard on a pedestal like some kind of god. Sitting round a table post pub at 0100, snorting coke and trying to figure out what cryptic message he has whilst harping on about the complexity of the chord changes and timing. Yawn.

As for pearl jam – ten, vs, few songs off vitalogy and no code then it starts to rot. I just find them boring these days.

What defines grunge? Angst alt rock circa 1991? Cause all these bands are very different really.

alanf
    Free Member

Soundgarden aren’t grunge either.
    They’re a rock band who just happened to be from Seattle and who got dragged on the grunge roller coaster when Nirvana hit the big time.

tazzymtb

Mad season
    Alice in chains
    mud honey

I sodding hate pearl jam

nerd
    Free Member

Also not grunge but truly awesome: Jesus Lizard.

gordimhor

Sonic Youth,Pavement great bands but not grunge. You might as well say Husker Du were grunge

paulhaycraft

Screaming Trees and Dinosaur Jr for me

sas78

The correct answer is no because Pearl Jam transcended the genre with some epic song writing. A great band on any measure. But for me there’s one very under rated challenger to the best grunge band…

Paw. Specifically their 1993 album Dragline. Such a good, down and dirty grungey subversive album. Look it up and be prepared to wonder why they never made it big!

sharkattack

Pearl Jam are to grunge what Linkin Park are to metal.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Well yes, as someone has already said, “define grunge”. I’ve always had early Tool down in the grunge bracket (up to Undertow anyway).
    Soundgarden, again, relative to what was labelled regular rock at that time, I’d stick them in the grunge bracket.
    Alice in Chains.
    Stone Temple Pilots.
    Love Pearl Jam too.

….what was the question?

pondo

Can people just bog off, talking about Alice In Chains in the same breath as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Jesus Lizard, Soundgarden etc?

sharkattack

Grunge or not this thread has got me back on this album;
    [video]http://youtu.be/phzNPCfYpzQ[/video]

An absolute blistering banger from start to finish.

thenorthwind

+1 for

Mudhoney(/Green River)
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Nirvana
    Bush
    and

Pearl Jam are to grunge what Linkin Park are to metal.

Meat Puppets if no-one’s mentioned them but I’ve probably missed it.

kayla1
    Free Member

Soundgarden

scrufftv
    Free Member

Grunge never really existed, at least as a proper genre that any good artists would associate themselves with. It was coined by the mainstream music press as Teen Spirit went global. That was the end of a really great period of American post punk music. You’d be better off checking out the other Sub Pop label artists before this period and other more diverse artists like the Butthole Surfers, Big Black, Fugazi etc.. for some really good stuff. Alice in chains! Says it all.

sharkattack

There’s still some excellent bands on Sub Pop
    [video]http://youtu.be/8tzKE31JQXY[/video]

Drac

Passing a kidney stone.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Yes there is!

Funk/Soul
    Classical
    Folk
    Krautrock/Motorik
    Psych/Stoner/Doom/Sludge (!)

If you like grunge try Boris, Isis (if only theyd known!) and (albeit more manic yet great) – Green Milk From The Planet Orange. Also Thumpermonkey. Deffo Thumpermonkey.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Grunge. Pearl Jam. [Is there anything better?]’ is closed to new replies.