Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Greece in May – good idea?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

never been in may – is it cold/windy/rainy?

thinking of skiathos if that helps! any opinions welcome!

baldSpot
    Free Member

been to Bulgaria (Black Sea Coast) in May and it was very much on the chilly side. Although this May could be completely different. That’s the joys of Weather Forecasting!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In May you will probably get some nice weather – if it is clear it will be nicely warm during the day, but at that time of year it can’t be guaranteed (it could just as easily be overcast or rainy.

I have never been to Greece in May, but I have been in late September and early October and it was easily sunbathing weather then.

FYI – Skiathos is a beatiful island but there is only one real ‘town’ there – Skiathos town. All the other built up areas are just collections of apartments beside the busy main road that runs through the (very small) island. I would only really recommend the main town (certainly at that time of the year when it won’t be very busy). Skiathos town itself is very cosmopolitan and has some lovely bars and restaurants though.

steviep
    Free Member

We went to Vassiliki on Lefkas last year for the first two weeks in may. The weather was quite warm t shirt and shorts every day but needed a light fleece at night. we rode in shorts and short sleeved tops all fortnight and were never cold.

clunker

Been to a lot of the Greek Islands in May, always had good weather, not too warm so ideal. Skiathos is cool some good trails, we caught a small boat taxi with the bikes that took us to a beach to enjoy a nice glass of Mythos, oh the good old days 8)

surfer
    Free Member

Spend 3 weeks in Skiathos a few years ago on my honeymoon. It was great!

Bit later in the year though.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

MrCrushrider

Me and the missus went to Greece in late May early June ’05 and it was hot. If you’ve not booked any accommodation I would skip Skiathos, jump on a flying dolphin/cat or ferry (ferry link) and do some island hopping.
    Alonissos is about 40 mins away and is fantastic. We had 5 days there and it was bliss. We stayed in the main port and it was a sleepy little place with not much to do there apart from eat and drink. Hire a scooter, stick your missus on the back and there is an abundance of secluded beaches and coves.
    We rode for 30 mins out of town along the coastal road and spent a whole day on a massive stretch of beach and did not see another soul. It was like that most days. It’s like having an island to yourself.
    Skopelos is about 20/25 mins away and also comes well recommended. If anyone had to suffer Mama Mia! on DVD this crimbo then thats where it was shot I believe.
    Skiathos is OK but don’t spend all your time there as there’s better just around the corner.

surfer
    Free Member

Ditto Kingofbiscuits, when we were there we spent a few days on Skopelos with friends as well as getting a boat across to the mainland and bussing it to Delphi for the day and spent a few days in Athens. Even ran round the original track and enjoyed a concert in the Ampitheatre.
    Agree ref the scooter and secluded beaches.

Starting to get nostalgic now!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Greece in May – good idea?’ is closed to new replies.