• This topic has 233 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by richP.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 234 total)
  • Gorrick brass monkey race
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Yep, just 750ml for the 4 hours. I wonder if my performance on lap 4 would have been better with more fluids as I found I did feel half a lap short on pace but i wouldn’t say there were any specific dehydration signs.
    I probably spat out 50ml of grit too 😉
    I had a flapjack in my pocket too but didn’t fancy it and it had disintegrated by the time I got home.

I didn’t ‘pit’ at all, just ate whilst pushing up one of the hills. Again, I wonder if I’d have benefitted from a quick stop.

boltonjon

2 gels, a cereal bar and about 2.5 litres of water

Crosshair – your not the only one grinning like the village idiot!!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pTCgRA]mudbath 2[/url] by boltonjon, on Flickr

Jason
    Free Member

For my 4 laps:
    About 500ml of Accelerade (a 750ml bottle but I didn’t finish it)
    About 500ml of High5 Energy Source
    750ml of High 5 Extreme
    A bottle of water on the last lap (didn’t drink much of that)
    3 gels I think
    Half a Torq bar (I dropped the other half, and didn’t fancy it once covered in mud)

Seemed about right for me.

benji
    Free Member

For 4 laps:

250ml of water, bottle was filthy to drink from.
    3 High 5 Banana blast gels
    High 5 Energy bar, banana flavour.

I was more in need of brake pads than drink, rear was shot after 2laps, and fronts after 4.

richP

5 clif gels (one per lap)
    2 and half 600ml bottles (felt too cold to drink more…)
    no stopping.

pete68
    Free Member

3 laps in 2:43. About 300ml of gatorade. That was it during the race. Just before the start I had one torq gel and a banana. Not enough to drink, but the bottle was grim.

weeksy

I have to ask why everyone seemed to be running bottles not camelbaks ?

boltonjon

Camelbak for me

But then again, I was wearing baggies too 🙂

c_klein87

camelbaks are a pain for lap racing, yes bottles get sh@tty, but more likely to get half way round/just started a new lap with an empty camelback, and a pain carrying 2kg minimum round, for a few hours, plus it reminds you to take a drink each lap!

pete68
    Free Member

As Mr klein says. Hate using camelbacks. Only use mine 1 or 2 times a year if on a longer day rides. On lap type events where you can get a fresh one every lap it’s not usually an issue. It’s also easier to keep an eye on how much you’re drinking.

crosshair
    Free Member

I might use the Camelbak at the next round but I couldn’t face it what with wearing a coat as well. Once or twice I was a bit toasty but for 75% of the race, it seemed the right choice.
    I had Sealskin socks, overshoes and non-waterproof tights on and by the end I tipped half a pint of sewage out of each sock.

Boltonjon- great shot! I think Kevin needs a medal too for his pics in those conditions 😉

boltonjon

What kit were people wearing? I was struggling to decide at the start – but was pretty happy with what I chose

I got a bit cold on the exposed sections – but nothing uncomfortable – it was just a nice reminder to push harder 🙂

Long sleeved base layer & club jersey
    3 year old ‘splashproof’ Endura shorts & standard liners
    Winter riding boots with thick socks
    Summer gloves

DT78
    Free Member

long sleeve mesh base
    gore alp x soft shell
    gore bibs
    leg warmers
    my lovely shimano mw81s with thermal socks
    thin gore gloves

My feet were soaked on the start loop inside 60 seconds when I went through one of those massive puddles so the smug thought I was going to have drier feet than everyone else was shattered – should have just worn the normal shoes

Core was mostly fine, but by lap 4 both feet and hands had gone numb and I was very cold by the time I finished had trouble getting changed.

Saw a couple of nutters with their arms and legs out….

njee20
    Free Member

What kit were people wearing? I was struggling to decide at the start – but was pretty happy with what I chose

Not so relevant in the 2 hour, but I wore:

Shorts
    knee warmers
    Short sleeve jersey
    arm warmers
    gilet
    long finger summer gloves
    Woolie Boolie socks with regular shoes

Gilet was the only real concession to the wet, I’d have worn a bit more for 4 hours. Didn’t get cold except in a couple of places where I was struggling to push as hard as I wanted due to being a shit rider/mechanical issues!

Jason
    Free Member

For me it was:
    Compression base layer
    Team top
    Gillet
    Arm-warmers
    Lyrca bib shorts
    leg warmers
    Woolie Boolie socks
    Summer shoes – at least they let the water out!
    Windproof gloves

I went for the wet and warm approach rather than trying to stay dry. Also a good coating of warm up oil on my legs before the start.

I left a waterproof in the pits just in case I started to get cold.

Temperature wise I was fine during the race, it was only when I got home and was washing the bikes that I started shivering a bit. The drive home was too short to really warm up in the car.

crosshair
    Free Member

I touched on it above but:
    Northwave summer shoes
    Sealskinz socks
    Endura tights
    Btwin budget overshoes
    Btwin padded shorts
    Btwin Short sleeved Jersey with key and phone in zipped pocket wrapped in carrier bags.
    Cheapy waterproof coat from Halfords with gel and food in rear pocket.
    Fleece snood- not sure why really it didn’t do a lot!
    Barbour Neoprene gloves ;D

Was never cold but once or twice I unzipped the coat to let a bit of steam out 😉

Yak

Bib 3/4s
    Mesh vest
    Long sleave jersey
    Roadie lightweight waterproof
    Softshell gloves
    Merino socks.
    Summer/regular shoes.

My legs and hands were cold from halfway, but my core was warm.

richP

baselayer
    arm warmers
    team jersey
    3/4 bibs (lightest weight I have)
    team bibs shorts on top
    waterproof socks

this was not enough…
    well in fact it was fine for 3 hours but then I started to get seriously cold legs and struggled.

benji
    Free Member

Tights, long sleeve roubaix jersey, coolmax socks, summer long finger gloves, thin roadie waterproof, specialized comp shoes, nicely comfortable for temperature.

Got lovely and warm in the car during a 4 hour drive home, how do people face the M25 everyday?

gee
    Free Member

Roubaix 3/4 shorts
    Thermal base layer
    Winter thick jersey
    Waterproof jacket
    Thermal Inner gloves
    Waterproof gloves
    Woolie boolie socks
    Overshoes

I started in waterproof 3/4 over shorts as well, but as these were a bit tight for racing I took them off after 2 laps.

In those conditions, it was about not getting cold and not giving up.

GB

akira

Where are people keeping these extra bottles to swap over? Doing the next round and not sure how to manage it

pete68
    Free Member

There’s a designated feed zone. This was on the field edge just before the finish but I it’s sometimes afterwards. Depends on the course layout I think.

gee
    Free Member

I use a little wooden table in the feed zone.

akira

Wasn’t planning on bringing furniture, this is getting serious now.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve never perfected collecting bottles off a table without scattering all of them! I just stick them on the floor.

Yak

I’ve only got a box on the floor, but have seen some nifty bottle holders on metal pole type affairs going on. V neat as the bottles are at grab height. Looks like a fishing tackle shop collection of bits possibly.

crosshair
    Free Member

I read somewhere about making a bracket at the handle end of a garden fork- just stick it in the ground 🙂

sarpullido
    Free Member

For my 3 laps (last half was running/pushing bike) I drunk nearly 2 bottles of Sponser long energy powder. Before the start 1 mule bar and 1 sponser energy liquid gel per lap. Also a shot of caffeine some time before start.

I wore a shimano windproof cap under helmet, maillot and bib shorts, Alp X 3.0 goretex shorts over the bibs, waterproof endura gloves (wet hands after 2 hours), sealskinz waterproof socks and a Mavic hc h20 waterproof jacket. Old summer shimano shoes and front and rear mudguards. Felt cold only when I completed 3rd lap after running for 20 minutes. My core was warm and dry throughout the race.

Muke
    Free Member

Last years designated feed zone….

a little wooden table in the feed zone

[url=https://flic.kr/p/imiPBQ]DSC01477[/url] by al4d, on Flickr

a bracket at the handle end of a garden fork

[url=https://flic.kr/p/imimmM]DSC01375[/url] by al4d, on Flickr

nifty bottle holders on metal pole

Tinsel optional…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/imim8F]DSC01373[/url] by al4d, on Flickr

😀

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I saw that table on Sunday!

In two minds whether to do the next one or not!

adsh
    Free Member

Just stripped the ‘pads’ from my rear brake. Fragments of spring, one backing and shrapnel of the other were all that remained. Had just started on the piston 😯

gee
    Free Member

That’s my table!

akak
    Free Member

Lots of useful info here, especially those bottle photos as I had no idea.

akira

Yup all very useful, only my legs and the weather against me now! Need to buy a bottle cage to match the Fatty now.

Yak

nice , er bottle pics! 🙂

Obvs I need something bodged together and festooned with Christmas decorations. The box on the floor is clearly passé 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Pitch fork with bottle crate attached always looks a reasonable solution!

DT78
    Free Member

Did anyone else get ill after the event? Norovirus type ill? Wondering if it was all the crap that went in my mouth whilst drinking from filthy bottles?

Yak

No.
    Hope you are over it now. There’s plenty of more likely sources of chunder/shit bugs though (mostly children).

Jason
    Free Member

Both fine here too.

Bikes now back in working order. 2 pairs of brake pads on my bike. Wife’s bike needed 2 sets of pads, new rear tyre and a new bottom bracket.

On the bottle front I have a bottle carrier I leave in the pits, I normally have a plastic crate that I leave a few spares in, and put the carrier on top. In the top picture above you can see my green box and carrier. As long as it is dry the free cardboard wine bottle carriers from supermarkets do the job. For longer races I take a table as it saves bending down to pick up the bottles.

pete68
    Free Member

Ding ding,round 2. Hopefully better conditions than last time, although it would be hard pushed to be worse. I lose track of the gorrick courses. Is tunnel hill the one with the big parking area and massive puddles?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick brass monkey race’ is closed to new replies.