Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gorilla Pads, anyone use them?
  • bens
    Free Member

Specifically, the orange ones? I tried the black ones and wasn’t overly impressed. The initial bite was ok but they seemed to lack power compared to the genuine Shimano sintered. They didn’t last that long either. I went through 2 sets on the back in about 200 (gritty, muddy, wet) miles.

Tried the orange ones and was impressed straight away. They’ve lasted well and seem to stop me pretty sharpish. But my god, the noise is unbearable! I put a set on the back and did ~150 miles. Mostly wet and muddy and didn’t hear a peep out of the. I fitted another pair up front last weekend, rode on Sunday and the noise the brakes were making in the dry conditions was hilarious.

Proper honking from both ends of the bike.

Is it just me?

I’ve pretty much always run Shimano Sintered and never have noise issues. Is this the pads?

I always give the discs a scrub with scotchbrite and Isopropyl Alcohol whenever I change pads. The rears were fine for 150 miles in the wet. I don’t really want to swap them because they stop really well.

Only plus side is I didn’t need to use a bell. A quick squeeze of the brakes sent walkers scrabbling for the sides of trail in fear of the giant turkey beast that was coming to gobble them up.

mudfish

I was  pretty sure I’d read in here about the Gorilla pad material separating from the metal bit. Maybe not because then I read this

What brake pads (again)

I’d still say don’t save money on brake related items unless you’ve no choice. Get Galfer Pro ( the green ones).

kimbers

gorilla greens are ace,  but wear relatively quick, quiet though

MadBillMcMad

I’ve bought the competition sintered.

No issues and not not stopped yet

leegee

Been running the Enduro pads for years and I really like them, they are noisy when wet though and had a set glaze when riding abroad, may have been my fault for not bedding them properly.

dave.wilson14

Tried them out recently in a set of sram codes. Felt good. Haven’t lasted particularly long but trails haven’t been dry since last year so not massively surprised.

bens
    Free Member

Well, the plot thickens.

Or thins…

Decided I’d give everything a light scrubbing with something abrbrasive and treat the discs and pads to some more IPA to make sure there want any contamination on either that might be giving me the noise.

Looking st the disc, there was a obvious area around the perimeter of the disc that wasn’t in contact with the pad.

Measured the pads against some Shimanos and found the Gorillas come up 2mm smaller in height and width. Width not a problem but the shorter height means I’ve got a 2mm lip starting to wear into my disc. Gorilla Pads measure 13mm hight Vs the 15mm of the Shimano.

Whether this is the case of the noise or not, I have not idea but it’s a bit annoying to see my discs worn like that.

Anyone else noticed it?

For reference, I’m using the Shimano D02S shaped pads (M8150/7120/6120 etc) on Shimano Ice Tech discs

mudfish

2mm washers between caliper and mount would sort that. On new discs. Shouldn’t be necessary though. Back to my comment about getting Galfer Pro (Green) pads.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.