Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What brake pads (again)
  • wildfires3

Having tried search which takes me to Autodoc for cars, what brake pads are people using these days for trail use?

I’ve finally managed to go to one set of brakes, so I don’t need 3 types of pads and am looking to get some spares for my Formula Cura 4’s.

I’ve been on Uber Bike Race Matrix in the past and they have been pretty good, but I’m always keen to see what is out there.

sanchez89

Personally i use OEM Shimano Resin (D03S i think) in my Deore 4 pots.

After trying various aftermarkets on previous brakes i’ve always found the OEM’s softest compound works best for me

Gary_C

I use Gorilla brakes, https://gorillabrakes.com/

Plenty of different compounds available, if unsure what to choose give them a ring & speak to Lee, he’ll give great advice.

nickc

In my completely unscientific testing over the years; OEM pads are pretty much the best combo of performance and longevity, and the only real-life benefit to aftermarket pads is price, often at the expense of re-using some parts – retaining pins and circlips mostly, sometimes even return springs. 

Buy according to whichever of those alternatives is most important to you, 

teenrat

I’ve started using Hkt.. No complaints so far

http://www.hktproducts.co.uk/collections/all/brake

Yak

OEM or aftermarket sintered for this time of year. Superstar/Uber are fine. The halfway house of things like racematrix don’t really last well enough in the grinding slop at the moment so I go for them when it gets a bit drier. If you want just the one type then sintered.

hainman
    Free Member

I have been using Organic Gorila pads on my Cura 4 brakes and on my Saints before them

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve been using Alligator pads for years, can’t fault them. Almost as grippy as EBC but last loads longer than anything else

bikerevivesheffield

OE every time

onehundredthidiot

Galfer consistently atoppy

silasgreenback

Another +1 for oem or brands that make oem. 
    uber are shat. So are most of the cheap stuff. Like buying a ferrari, complaining about tyre prices and putting remoulds in.

OEM formula pads are superb but i found i burned through organics in no time on the eeb. Accoustic bike is lasting well.

Now running Galfer and find power is just as good but they last considerably longer. Possibly compund difference but Galfer pads are a little cheaper. They make motorsport pads.  Nuff said for me.

Northwind

Always a tiny bit wary of recommending these in case someone dies, but, I use these, the red ones

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005001430020174.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.63e1YEmgYEmgag&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

Had them in all my bikes for a couple of years now, from dh bike to fatbike, they work great- wee bit noisy but super consistent, last well, and of course at £2.50 a pair you’re never tempted to piss around getting more mileage out of them or cleaning them or whatever. Had my doubts obviously but after a couple of weeks in france including the mega, some UK uplift weeks, and lots of orrible scottish #enduro all condtions rides, I’m totally happy with them. (in various old Formula The Ones). I wouldn’t use pads just because they’re cheap but cheap and good suits me.

People have varying opinions but I found Racematrixes really good for a few test rides here at home, then I went out to the alps and they absolutely shit the bed, outright dangerous- I assume it was just heat, but I’ve had the same brakes hotter without a peep. Definitely wasn’t the brakes, I binned the pads after half a day and just threw in whatever it was I had in my spares and they were fine.

tjagain

I only use OEM sintered.  the couple of times I have tried other pads they were rubbish in comparison wearing out really quickly

phil5556

I’ve had exactly the same experience as Northwind with Race Matrix, I’ve now decided to just stick to original SRAM pads.

jonnyrockymountain

I always bought the brand of pads for the brand of brakes, but tried galfer ones 6 month ago and they have been superb, so I’d deffo recommend them

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Gorilla, can’t fault them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.