Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 249 total)
  • Good News Story – Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout
  • nickingsley
    Free Member

…. but can you find a graph of the number of people receiving the jab anywhere on UK media …

Hate to think the lazy British media just prefer the doom and gloom of number of Covid 19 cases, deaths, R number, hospital beds available, etc… presented in more ways than you can shake a stick at.

Hope that Nadhim Zahawi is a typical UK political leader i.e. an influencer, admistrator, organiser and delivers a ‘world leading’ programme of vaccination.

jimw
    Free Member

I had understood that the media HAD been trying hard to get the information but that the government had not made the data available in the way that you would like. It may be that they haven’t tried hard enough, but not that they didn’t make the attempt

scotroutes
    Sandwich

A minister was heard extolling that 108,000 vaccine doses had been given in the last 7 days in England. By using the 2019 population figures for England this equates to 10 years and one week to give the English just the first dose.

Good-ish news but we don’t appear to have the logistics in place for a proper job.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good-ish news but we don’t appear to have the logistics in place for a proper job.

There’s one vaccine at present (though I see the US has now approved moderna) which has challenges, once those challenges are ironed out, other vaccines approved, numbers will ramp up for sure.

And tbh we don’t need everyone vaccinated anyway.

nickingsley
    Free Member

@scotroutes, Thank You

Sure it will be picked up by the British media …

Logistics should be a lot easier with the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine and Zahawi’s gearing up to get that out there v v quickly indeed.

theotherjonv

@sandwich I disagree, at least at this stage.

I despise this government for many things, but I’m a scientist, and I follow the evidence however inconvenient. So if Zahawi does manage to roll this out in a timely manner then I will celebrate that achievement in a politics agnostic way. And it’s too early to tell, if you judge Bolt’s 100m time based on the first three strides out of the blocks you have no idea. It will take time to speed up, it’ll take time for the quantities to be available even if we had unlimited giving capacity right now.

I’m as sceptical as the next that we won’t find a way to **** it up with brexit scuppering logistics, contracts to a mate of your MP who has a van and the gift of the gab, whatever, but right now there’s no data either way to call it. We’ve just heard the bang, and we’re barely moving. But we’re moving….

scotroutes

@nickingsley – my point was more that some data is being published. While getting the vaccination programme under way did feature on national media, perhaps the current numbers look so small that shining a spotlight on them doesn’t mean much. When we are up to 5, 10, 20% vaccinated, that’ll be much better news.

kelvin

It is good news. But it’s a bit of a stretch to claim the UK media haven’t covered it. There has been plenty of coverage of vaccine development, and now the rollout. The “voxpops” of lovable old folk who’ve taken their first dose cheered me up no end. Lots to do yet though, including keeping this virus away from people, and keeping people out of hospital, and people out of crematoriums, this winter, while the rollout is ramped up (which requires some of the other vaccines to come into use).

burko73

I would think with the increases were seeing in transmission the news story that the govt want out there isn’t one of vaccination is going great and we’ll get to you soon but vaccination could be a long time away, please keep your guard up, follow the rules and be careful.

Too much positive stuff in the news about a vaccine at this stage is likely to mean people (idiots) go nuts over Xmas thinking we can vaccinate our way out of this in January. This is unlikely to be the case for a while at least.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hate to think the lazy British media just prefer the doom and gloom of number of Covid 19 cases, deaths, R number, hospital beds available, etc…

Good news doesn’t sell papers – they will always find the worst aspect of any story, twist it a bit, and then print that.

Unfortunately some people believe what they’re fed (see what’s happened in the US).

munkyboy
    Free Member

Watch this space. Next vaccine approval soon. No issues with availability. Drive thru vaccinations etc etc. We will all be done by autumn.

Rio

This was covered briefly on Tim Harfords’ “How to vaccinate the world” podcast (about 25 min in) – tl;dr (or tl;dl?) they were unsure whether publishing numbers on the .gov dashboard might stoke the anti-vaxxers and therefore do more harm than good. One of the participants suggested that they could do a trial publication including number of adverse reactions to see what the public response was but I think if you did that, found it was causing issues then withdrew it then that would provide even more ammunition to the nutters.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just remember who is in charge of the logistics….

woody2000

Hope that Nadhim Zahawi is a typical UK political leader i.e. an influencer, admistrator, organiser and delivers a ‘world leading’ programme of vaccination

I can’t work out if there’s a typo in there somewhere or if it’s just sarcasm 🤔

martinhutch

Hope that Nadhim Zahawi is a typical UK political leader i.e. an influencer, admistrator, organiser and delivers a ‘world leading’ programme of vaccination

Let’s hope so, eh. Seems like a chap with his finger on the pulse when it comes to rolling out large-scale stuff.

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1306718300261494785?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1306718300261494785%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdorseteye.com%2Fincompetent-or-lying-either-way-nadhim-zahawi-doesnt-get-away-with-it%2F

theotherjonv

are we in danger of being a bit exsee here. Wanting the world to burn to prove a point.

I desperately want this to be a stonking success, but there’s a guilty bit of me that hopes they **** it up again so we can nail the lid down on their government a bit more.

Sandwich

@theotherjonv It would appear that we received 800,000 doses in the first delivery. (source https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/03/how-the-uk-will-roll-out-the-covid-vaccine.html)

Yes it may not be right to gauge the effectiveness on the first week BUT given the incompetence and venality of the last 9 months I’m not going to hold my breath. Full credit when it’s due will be granted but the previous record is not one to encourage confidence.

The BMJ is all ready reporting supply problems as of 14 December (https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4849) as was our own docrobster.

Just once I would like a success story that delivers on the fine words but it would appear to be beyond the politicians in charge.

Klunk
    Free Member

the inlaws (90 & 85) were due to have the jab on thursday, 3 hours alone in a freezing waiting room with the windows open, only to be told no jab as the vaccine had gone off.

martinhutch

Oxford vaccine is due for MHRA approval just after Christmas, according to some reports. They should already have large venues set up and new staff trained so they can start churning people through immediately. The existing infrastructure is not up to population-level immunisation programmes.

rOcKeTdOg

The hospital I work at has been told we will start vaccinations at the end of January, maybe. Things need to start moving faster if the promised “near normal” Easter is to be achieved. But going on past performance of promises I’m not sure which year that Easter is in.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Vaccination of the population isn’t going to be a quick fix. And numbers will be slow to begin with, availability being the bottle neck. So while great news, and hopefully more vaccines get approved…

it’s likely to a be a good few months yet before the numbers start to make us feel good about it all, so I’d hold off in the number hunting really.

I see no motivation for them to go slow with the vaccine, other than availability, so in general, barring logistical f-ups. I think they will get it out to people as quick as humanly possibly.

Plus, first country entirely vaccinated is a badge they’ll want to have. (And I’d suggest a goal, since they went after the first country to approve badge…)

Del

https://uk.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-biontech-britain/biontech-says-140000-vaccinated-in-britain-so-far-idUKKBN28R1EO

so on the 17th reuters report 140,000 received their first jabs. it’s a start. during a quick trawl i turned up this guidance https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/covid-19/gp-practices/covid-19-vaccination-programme and also a line i didn’t follow that stated that the GSK/AZ vaccine was going through MHRA approval.

if the bunch of clowns in government don’t manage to find a way to insert themselves between healthcare professionals and patients we could be in a good place. if they do manage to pull this off i’ll give them credit for it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

GSK one isn’t going through approval yet.

RicB

Allocations to the vaccination hubs were tightly controlled for the first few weeks

We’ve vaccinated c2000 so far in 2 weeks but expect to ramp that up significantly in the next couple of weeks

So the numbers now won’t be anything like the numbers in Jan onwards

Drac

As others have said the number of hubs are currently small, there are plans in place to open others but there is surprising amount of work behind the scenes. They can’t just rock up at a venue, it needs assessed for suitably, access, egress, security, lighting and facilities all need checked and altered if need be. Hospitals are already setup for this process so it was easy to use them first.

Then with other vaccine approval on the way it move things along. Currently it’s been around 150k which is impressive for a starting point.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

I think there was a reasonable requirement for a bit of hurrah as the vaccine became available but there has to be some more or less subtle expectation management as to how much is available, so I can see why the government aren’t overdoing it.

It’s available at Mrs Baron’s hospital and apparently being given out (I dont know the criteria for having a jab).

Maybe it’s a bit 1942: “It is not even the beginning of the end. but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning

kerley
    Free Member

They can’t just rock up at a venue, it needs assessed for suitably, access, egress, security, lighting and facilities all need checked and altered if need be.

A decent government would have done that many months ago…

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I think a lot of doctor surgery’s start next week so hopefully will get even better but I am happy with the start so far although we have little information. I personally know a few people that have had vaccine already which was a surprise fingers crossed it all works out.

Drac

A decent government would have done that many months ago…

Sort of yes but they had no real idea when the vaccine would be ready, which one would be first and taking over the venues then not using them causes issue. Up here it’s the local cricket club, it has been quite a lot of planning and awaiting final dates for work to go ahead. The club is now closed for several months possibly facing an extension, it’s hindering other plans for the club but we agreed vaccines were more important. It’s not as simple as there’s a venue let’s use that.

RicB

For a mass-vac venue to be viable it needs to be accessible and facilitate movement of large numbers of people; of the orders of thousands of people a day in some cases. You’re looking at concert venues, large sports stadia etc

Pretty much all of those venues are privately owned so leases etc need to be agreed and equipment brought in, validated and tested. Not something you can do safely overnight

nickingsley
    Free Member

Good news, just spoken to my 91 yr old neighbour, who recovered from major cancer surgery 20yrs ago, who had his 1st vaccine jab this week in the local sports centre. Interestingly he was very impressed with well organised it all was. 2nd jab early in the New Year.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Good News – 350,000 vaccinated moving along nicely.

Edukator
    Free Member

it needs assessed for suitably, access, egress, security, lighting and facilities all need checked and altered if need be

A neice who works in disaster management currently has a contract doing exactly that. Finding suitable sites is proving quite difficult but they’re getting there.

Del

GSK one isn’t going through approval yet.

you are correct. i was out of the house before i’d realised i’d conflated it with oxford/AZ.

olddog

This needs context. Assuming it’s adults only so c50milliom people X 2 jabs. So 100million actual vaccinations.

It’s going to require a massive mobilisation of resources.

Even assuming a 70% take-up it’s still huge numbers!

djflexure

Seems that high risk healthcare workers are now included – got a text this morning and booked in for first shot on Tues

Drac

A neice who works in disaster management currently has a contract doing exactly that. Finding suitable sites is proving quite difficult but they’re getting there.

Yeah not that easy and some want to charge a Merry fortune, our cricket club have said just use it no charge.

Sandwich

Seems that high risk healthcare workers are now included – got a text this morning and booked in for first shot on Tues

That is good news indeed. Stay safe.

tonyg2003

Apparently 350k have had first jab according to Boris today.

I’ve see figures of something like 25million at risk and over 50 expected to have jab. Assuming 70% take up that’s 17.5M and annual flu jab is 11M. So roughly 50% more than flu jabs. Wouldn’t be too difficult I would of thought without the extra difficulties of cold shipment of the Pfizer/BuoNtech jab. Hooefully the Oxford jab will be approved and speed this process up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 249 total)

The topic ‘Good News Story – Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout’ is closed to new replies.