Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Golf caddies
  • tails
    Free Member

If they are as knowledgeable as the golfer, why don’t they give it a go themselves. Is golf more mental than physical, other than keeping your joints supple for the big hits.

Klunk
    Free Member

quite a few are scratch golfers, competitive and tough to get a tour card though.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They’d rather be playing than caddying so none must be good enough.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Even if they’re as knowledgeable, it doesn’t mean they have the ability to make the shots, make them under pressure, deal with the pressure and so on.

ourmaninthenorth

Steve Williams earned $12m caddying for Tiger Woods….

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Caddies get 10% of a players purse. I’d do it!

tpbiker
    Free Member

At the top level the mindset and course management may make the difference

But unless you are a +4 handicapper and can hit it like the pros then you won’t get anywhere near the top pro tours.

Does the OP play golf? I’m assuming not as course management means very little unless you can actually hit it where you want in first place!

LeeW

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Steve Williams earned $12m caddying for Tiger Woods….

Wasn’t he the highest earning ‘Sports person’ in NZ for a couple of years?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great to see wee Serg finally win a major.

weeksy

It’s massively hard to become even a low level pro golfer. The mindset is very tough too as it’s a lot of thinking time pre-shot, a lot of planning and shot choice.

I used to play 12-14 hours a day, every day… i got down to a handicap of 2 and played a fair few rounds under par on my local course. However, realistically you’d need to be shooting on average a 5-6 under every week to ‘make it’ and even then, you may only make it at the very very lowest level of getting a tour card.

I used to do a fair bit of teaching as that seemed to be my forte compared to playing as i’d often crumble under the pressure when it got down to the nitty gritty.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I caddied for Ian St John (former footballer) at the Belfry once. He was a grumpy sod all day but got a lot worse when I encouraged him to go for the green instead of laying up in front of the lake and he dumped it in the middle.

The one thing I learned was that anything bad is the caddy’s fault; anything good is the player’s brilliance!

NZCol

From experience Steve Williams is one of the most unpleasant roasters I have had the misfortune of spending time with.

BoardinBob

Yeah his behaviour and comments around the Adam Scott/ Tiger Woods situation marked him out as a total scumbag

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What weeksy says.

Mate of mine played off +4 as a junior, on one of the hardest courses in Ayrshire – we have a few – but at national level he was just another boy.

The amount he practiced was incredible.

BoardinBob

Growing up we were all convinced Gordon Sherry was going to be our Tiger Woods, only fatter and ginger. Amateur champ. Played The Masters.

Teaches chemistry nowadays I believe.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Growing up we were all The Daily Record was convinced Gordon Sherry was going to be our Tiger Woods, only fatter and ginger. Amateur champ. Played The Masters.

FTFY Bob. :mrgreen:

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, the level of he pros is phenominal. Most casdy’s are very good golfers just not phenominal.

BoardinBob

Haha.

To be fair, I went to school with him

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I used to think it was all a load of rubbish. Couldn’t stand the game,bunch of stuck up old blokes etc… Decided one day last year to give it a go…. Massive respect to the tour players! Unbelievably tough, skilful game. As it is I’m now totally hooked. This is mostly down to the complete lack of “stuck up old blokes” at our local courses. Really friendly, welcoming bunch.

BoardinBob

This is mostly down to the complete lack of “stuck up old blokes” at our local courses

Golf is great

95% of the people that play it are arseholes

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’ve known a couple of top level caddies in the past and a hoard of jobbing caddies (one’s who follow the sun, winter in Florida/Spain – Summer in Scotland) they can make some serious wedge (did you see what I did there…) and were all scratch handicappers, but never near the level of a pro. Even your average Club pro has to work very hard to get their ticket.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Toughest game I’ve ever played, in fact nothing else comes close. What other game can you go from playing great to playing terribly in the space of two days….with no reason! Does my head in! 😥

joshvegas
    Free Member

What other game can you go from playing great to playing terribly in the space of two days….with no reason

Pick a sport watch me play it the days are i can achieve that in minutes let alone days

sargey

Over in the states now and went to augusta on Tuesday for a practice day,until you’ve been there you don’t realise how difficult the course is having to land the ball within a square metre from 200 plus yards.
    Playing over here is much more relaxed and cheaper.
    $35 dollars for club and buggy hire and then a guy circles the course in a buggy full of beer.

hammerite
    Free Member

My BiL went to school with Justin Rose’s caddy, Fulcher… earned £720k last year. I’m sure none of his former school mates are jealous at all of earning that sort of money travelling the world walking around in the sun all day!

I used to know a club pro. Great golfer, loved playing, loved coaching, hated competitions. I’m sure there are some caddys who are the same.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Golf caddies’ is closed to new replies.