Going Going Gone! (Banksy)

Home Forum Chat Forum Going Going Gone! (Banksy)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Going Going Gone! (Banksy)
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45770028

View this post on Instagram

Going, going, gone…

A post shared by Banksy (@banksy) on

<p class=”story-body__introduction”>A stencil spray painting by elusive artist Banksy shredded itself after it was sold for more than £1m.</p>
    The framed Girl With Balloon, one of the artist’s best known works, was auctioned by Sotheby’s in London.

The piece which shows a girl reaching towards a heart-shaped balloon was the final work sold at the auction.

However, moments after the piece went under the hammer, the canvas passed through a shredder that was hidden inside the frame.

Posting a picture of the moment on Instagram, Banksy wrote: “Going, going, gone…”

The 2006 piece sold for £1.042m on Friday night.

“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Sotheby’s senior director and head of contemporary art in Europe.

Certainly a more interesting way of selling things

cdoc

“It appears we just got Banksy-ed,” said Alex Branczik, Sotheby’s senior director and head of contemporary art in Europe.

Yeah, right after helping to find an appropriately hidden power outlet.

hols2

I had a summer job as a teenager working for a car dealer who sold used cars that pretty much did that.

JoB

yeah cause batteries don’t exist

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Batteries-Operated-Paper-Shredder/dp/B0042A10CQ

do they hold their charge for 12 years, or are remote controlled?

wrightyson

I’m not massively up on banksys work, but didn’t that originally get painted on a wall? If so did he then recreate it on canvas for someone?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Loving the grandpa comments ignoring all the tech progress of the last 50 years.

= :87)

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

I thought this was a flounce thread , disappointed .

Premier Icon imnotverygood
    Subscriber

I thought this was a flounce thread , disappointed .

Are you going to leave the forum forever as a result?

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

I’m not massively up on banksys work, but didn’t that originally get painted on a wall? If so did he then recreate it on canvas for someone?

Its all stencils chaps…

Premier Icon beej
    Subscriber

There’s a video of it shredding – the staff take it off the wall mid shred, no power cable.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

(I’ve amended the thread title to something more obvious, so I don’t have to spend all night closing duplicate threads.)

gauss1777

However, I don’t think that’s how he spells his name.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Pantalons.  Corrected, thanks.

athgray

Banksy is good at publicity, it sucks me into taking about their work. They have a good eye for a location and a message but the quality of the work is pretty poor. There are other street artists doing far more interesting work IMO.

There is talk that Banksy could be 3D from Bristol based Massive Attack. This is based on an interview with Goldie where he let this slip.

brakes

I’m Banksy

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I’m Banksy and so’s my wife.

athgray

I’m Banksy

No, I’m Banksy!!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Brilliant stuff. That’s art. 🙂

chewkw

Easy come easy go … 😀

Art?  😀

johndoh

It’s nothing but another way of him PRing his work. Now the half-shredded piece of work will be worth even more and more people will be suckered in to buying his work thanks to even more publicity for his pretty average work with way above average publicity.

tjagain

Do they not realise Banksy is sending them up?

I find the whole art world quite astonishing in this way – the emperors new clothes.  I have a friend who in the early 80s made a sale with some daubs while a student – simply just take a 4″ brush and in a single colour make streaks horizontally across a canvas. ( she had been experimenting with a wide range of styles at that time)  Having made one sale with that she has simply repeated it for 30 years and now is a well respected artist making a living from it.  I haven’t dared ask her if she believes in it but the nonsense I have seen written about her stuff makes my teeth curl  One she did in mid green  – just a plain canvas with streaks of green like a badly painted first coat of emulsion ” You have really captured the essence of purest green with this one – your best yet”

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Awesome, the irony is the only point of the Art Work.

athgray

Awesome, the irony is the only point of the Art Work.

So true, but I cant help myself.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

It’s nothing but another way of him PRing his work

Cos, yeah, he needs more publicity.. for.. erm?

sirromj

Do they not realise Banksy is sending them up?

Perhaps he’s speaking more to them than the rest of us realize.

johndoh

Cos, yeah, he needs more publicity.. for.. erm?

Greed?

chewkw

Those that got such amount of disposable income to spend on something like this must have accumulated the wealth the easy ways … hence they deserve to spend it the easy way too …. easy come easy go.

They should pay more. 😀

johndoh

And whilst I am at it, can we ban forever TJ every using the ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ thing for anything to do with art and creativity? It’s getting really very tired.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

It’s all a bit bonkers. I bought a Banksy print for my husband donkeys years ago and we now spend more insuring it each year than it cost me to buy it 😂

geex

the girl is destroyed and the love she could never have still remains out of reach.

#Genius

Well worth a milion pounds

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

You have really captured the essence of purest green with this one – your best yet”

I’d guess that was a joke. Someone is a Black Adder fan.

tjagain

Nope – no joke Drac.  Deadly serious.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

@wallop me too. I spent a grand on a signed print in 1999 with my student loan. Grannies bowling little bombs. It now plays a significant role in my pension plans

kerley

Risky to have a piece of art as a significant part of a pension plan. Banksy pictures may go down as well as up.

Houns

I volunteer at the NT with his Uncle (who makes some lovely walking sticks)

sirromj

Banksy pictures may go down as well as up.

Traditionally the value of an artists work rises after their death so if he could invert that and shred the monetary value of all his art it would be the ultimate **** you to the art establishment.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Risky to have a piece of art as a significant part of a pension plan. Banksy pictures may go down as well as up.

My friend had a pair of Rolf Harris paintings valued at £15k. They’re not anymore.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Grannies bowling little bombs

I missed buying that one for £250.

> sad face <

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.