Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Go Greek for a week.
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

Seriously, retire at 54 on 90% salary. Hairdressing is a hazerdous job!!!!

Thats just the start of it.

No wonder, im glad im not German paying for it all!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

p.s. ment to post this on the chat forum, oops

postierich
    Free Member

you try working in 30+degrees at 55

stevewhyte
    Free Member

What as opposed to working in -5deg at 55 outside!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmm- maybe you should look at the real numbers – Ernie posted them before but the IIRC greek average age to stop working was significantly higher than Germany

stevewhyte
    Free Member

So they work harder than the Germans, so that will be why the counrty is doing so well. Give me a break.

Watch the program then get back to me.

Stoner
    Free Member

god what a bollock straining program.
    cant stand more than a minute of it.
    Is this really the state of UK documentary work these days?

joolsburger
    Free Member

What utter bollocks.

Stoner
    Free Member

FFS just flicked over to what used to be the Old Dame of documentary programming: Panorama, and it’s just as bad. How stupid are their target audience?

Thank god for File on Four and Moneybox on R4.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Program is shite, however the facts aren’t. It’s well known that the whole country runs on backhanders

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Only watching cos some of its based in my hometown. Used to get my haircut in that hairdressers*. Ahhhh nostalgia.

*well the gents bit next door.

uplink
    Free Member

Hmmm- maybe you should look at the real numbers

What? – they don’t really have a crisis, it’s all just made up by the gutter press and idiots on bicycling forums?

thank **** for that – I was starting to believe they were in trouble

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

up[link – they have issues for sure but there is also a lot of myth. Ernie had some very good numbers that showed they did not retire early on the whole.

mudshark
    Free Member

It has helped explain why they’re in such a state as I couldn’t really grasp how they’d got there. Top corrupt EU country is quite a title.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

At the end of the day its not Greeces fault, its the EU for thinking that Greece would be ok in the Euro. Or at the very least why the Eu did not enforce their rules.

And yes the program was pretty crappy, but its got to break it down into easy chunks so numpties on cycling forums could understand it.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s just the right wing press, I’ve seen the figures and the Greek economy is perfectly sustainable. It’s all being driven by ideology not necessity.

soobalias
    Free Member

so is it right that a greek civil servant can retire, draw a pension, then die and pass that pension in full to his unmarried daughter?

highclimber
    Free Member

I dont understand the ‘going greek for a week’ part of this programme. couldn’t they have just done an unadulterated documentary on how corrupt the greek system is/was? it just seems as though they have added these people into the prog just so they can call it go greek for a week and really doesn’t add anything to it.

Northwind

soobalias – Member

so is it right that a greek civil servant can retire, draw a pension, then die and pass that pension in full to his unmarried daughter?

Dunno. Is it right that I pay as much towards the state pension as everyone else yet my life expectancy is less than average?

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes.

go on, ask me another…

🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

how do they know how big the Greek Shadow economy is? i’m sure it is as big as they claim (if not bigger) but how do they get seemingly accurate figuer on its size?

Spin
    Free Member

Go greek for a week and don’t sit down for the following week…

zafi
    Free Member

I am sorry the show failed to potray an accurate picture of Greece it just show one aspect it only contributes to propaganda against Greece . You cannot blame a whole nation for all the wrongdoings of EU.German companies have being involved in the biggest financial scandals in Greece. Nobody is innocent. The brits will not pay for the bail outs anyway!
    It failed to show that the average person in Greece gets paid the lowest salaries from all the European counterparts. It forgot to mention that people in the private sector work for 700 euros around 10-12 hours aprox without lunch break. There are 2 sides on every story . Imagine if everyone overgeneralizes and claim i.e. on this basis that Brits are looters &thieves it we go back to August Riots. Besides in the UK we have paid taxes for many people who cheat to get benefit. The world people is not a perfect place we have to realize this and programmes such this do not contribute in anything but hatred!

chewkw
    Free Member

I like the Greek mentality … 😆

CountZero

The brits will not pay for the bail outs anyway!

Excuse me? While we’re not members of the Euro, we are founder members of the IMF, and as such have to make significant contributions to that fund should the IMF be called on to bail out those failing members of the Euro group.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we are founder members of the IMF

The IMF is not a registered charity you know. Any loans it agrees to, it expects to be repaid with interest. And under conditions that it decides, which includes dictating government policy – irrespective of general election results.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dreadful program. Managed about 10 minutes before I gave up.
    Echoing Stoners point, this is embarrassing if it’s what passes as a documentary nowadays.

mcboo
    Free Member

Here we go. Poor put upon Greece, bullied by the Germans and the big bad banks. Give me a break.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone see Paxman tearing that Greek tourism minister apart on Newsnight last night?

“Why are Greeks so dishonest?”

“No really, you are a country full of liars aren’t you?”

etc etc

IanMunro
    Free Member

No, but I might check iplayer later now 🙂

DrJ

What you see in Greece is partly the result of having a 2 party system, where people vote for A so that B doesn’t get in, regardless of if A represents their real interests – so after a while you get a parliament of identikit droids intent on lining their own pockets and without a clue how to solve a problem, or the decency to do the right thing and resign.

Sounds a lot like somewhere closer to home …

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0176k8v/Newsnight_07_11_2011/

from 26:40 ish by the look of it. not watched it yet. got popcorn

joolsburger
    Free Member

Pot kettle etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think that greek minister acquits himself rather well and paxo doesnt cover himself in much glory…again…

richc
    Free Member

After going to a wedding in Greece last month, I was amazed at the level of tax dodging.

The wedding was in good hotel and the bar bill, rooms and food for 60 guests had to be paid in cash, in 99% of petrol stations wouldn’t take cards only cash, all the restaurants I went to from the small roadside ones to posh upmarket jobs were all cash.

Basically everyone wasn’t paying tax, as they didn’t see the point.

This article also explains it quite nicely: http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010

mcboo
    Free Member

I thought the Greek minister made a pretty good fist of things, came across really well. But then he got hit by a piece of classic Paxman, big haymaker.

Remember how the Greeks got to this point everyone. The last time they had an election Papandreou came in, his guys went through the books and they found a huge hole in the national finances, the previous lot knew they had spent way more than they could afford but wouldnt admit it.

hora
    Free Member

Lets cook the books to get meet fiscal targets to get into the Euro. Spend spend spend like your in a Gordon Brown economy then demand money after money.

What a **** shit useless and pointless addition to a economic zone they were.

Kick them out.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think that greek minister acquits himself rather well and paxo doesnt cover himself in much glory…again…

Yes, he seems to be getting more argumentative with age.

Bit of a self-caricature.

richc
    Free Member

Spend spend spend like your in a Gordon Brown economy then demand money after money.

What are you talking about Hora? do you just randomly type words with your massive chin, and tiny brain then hit ‘send post’

hora
    Free Member

I’m going to bum you to death RichC

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Go Greek for a week.’ is closed to new replies.