Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 196 total)
  • Global warming! the mystery deepens
  • Moses

And so (for example) it's just coincidence that the icecaps and glaciers are melting, and we haven't had decent snowfalls in Britain for many years?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I'm sorry boneidle what "Mystery" was that? I don't know of any such mysteries.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Conspiracy theorist / fantasist with no facts rubbishes scientific consensus to please his neocon paymaster. Not a single fact in that article.

Yawn

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Moses. It is a proven fact that we are coming to the end of an ice age and also that the dinosars lived on antartic which had forset in the middle of it. It is the fact that we have accelerated this change and what the planet does about it that is the concern.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

This was wishful thinking, of course. In the run up to Copenhagen, we will see more and more hysterical (and grotesquely exaggerated) stories such as this in the Mainstream Media.

He said it himself!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

James Delingpole is a writer, journalist and broadcaster who is right about everything. He is the author of numerous fantastically entertaining books

BigDummy
    Free Member

the dinosars lived on antartic which had forset in the middle of it.

Do you mean faucet? This is a genuinely troubling idea. 😯

Seriously, is there anyone out there who had no inkling that scientists encourage data to conform to hypotheses? If you ram-raided any scientific research institute in the world you would find evidence of this sort of practice.

robinbetts
    Free Member

The whole issue of global warming; whether it exists or doesn't; whether it's caused by man or natural; is to some degree irrelevant.

This guy's opening statement implying no need for alternative energies is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time! No matter what happens to the climate, we're still going to run out of fossil fuel and then we're all **** if we haven't make alternative arrangements! By the way, what happens when the oil runs out and we can't make plastic?

bone_idle
    Free Member

I posted this because I like to have an open mind im not on one side or the other. I think its good to have a sceptical mind, if you wish to believe all the crap that is mainstream then great but the truth normaly somewhere in between.

The climate always changes, thats a fact but is it CO2 or solar activity we shall see.

Climate change has become an industry with powerful interests so the truth will always be adjusted just as in politics.

Mosses did you miss the snow last year it was the worst for 20 years and the last 3 winters have been dam cold and the summers not much better. I just go by whats happening in the world I see.

This is just my opinion so lets not get nasty about it.

grumm
    Free Member

Climate change has become an industry with powerful interests

Yeah much more powerful than the oil companies etc 🙄

Mosses did you miss the snow last year it was the worst for 20 years and the last 3 winters have been dam cold and the summers not much better. I just go by whats happening in the world I see.

Oh jesus, I can't even be bothered…

bone_idle
    Free Member

Yeah its boring

midgebait
    Free Member

Yes bone_idle, I agree entirely 😉 I had to wear my woolly hat in the Lakes this weekend but back in June I didn't which clearly proves that it's getting colder.

Did you know that the Romans also wore skirts in Northumberland which clearly demonstrates that it has been warmer in the past, and they didn't have cars or power stations either.

Grumm +1. I really can't @rsed either!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oh dear, all this based on out of context quotation from internal documentation by people with limited understanding of the science involved.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does this picture help ?

I like to have an open mind ….. if you wish to believe all the crap that is mainstream

😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I always like to remind myself that the Earth is a chuffing huge place. Yet so many people claim to understand every part of it nowadays!

votchy
    Free Member

I know jack sh1t about cause and effect of global warming, however, one thing that troubles me is how can the ice caps be melting when the temperature at said ice caps never gets above 0 celcius?

gonefishin
    Free Member

I know jack sh1t about cause and effect of global warming, however, one thing that troubles me is how can the ice caps be melting when the temperature at said ice caps never gets above 0 celcius?

Yeah and how come water evapourates when the temperature never gets to 100C!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Dinosaurs in Antarctica…. See… continents shuffle about the globe quite happily, and during the Jurassic there was this thing called Gondwanaland which was a supercontinent.

During this time the northern most part of Antarctica was level with what is now South Australia, which is a pretty toasty part of the world all things considered.

Can't be arsed with the rest of stuff where people are regurgitating the same old bollocks that has been debunked many times over, but folk keep digging up the same flawed research from years back again and again. Yes, climate change is a bit of a blow to our lifestyles, but get over it – it isn't a conspiracy and it does need to be addressed.

Off to walk the dog – he needs a piss 😉

neilforrow

i am glad that people are expressing their opinions on this subject on the web where it can be recorded forever,

An uber list can be drawn up, where of all the people who are in the 'nout to do with humans camp' are cited. Their kids and their kids, kids can google there parents name and read about what a dumb ass they were.

It could get better, someone famous goes on 'who do you think you are in 2150 and they google the said list, 'oh we found out you are the direct descendent of a dumb ass'

FFS

IanMunro
    Free Member

midgebait
    Free Member

IM, do you have a reference for the quoted number of pirates in 2000 as it looks a bit low given recent activity?

DrJ

one thing that troubles me is how can the ice caps be melting when the temperature at said ice caps never gets above 0 celcius?

Ye gads!! I believe he's spotted a hole in modern climatology! Or a contradiction in the laws of physics! (Clever of whales, penguins, 'n'shit to swim around in the sea when it never gets above freezing, eh?)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Seriously, is there anyone out there who had no inkling that scientists encourage data to conform to hypotheses? If you ram-raided any scientific research institute in the world you would find evidence of this sort of practice.

I disagree, you can become world famous for knocking accepted dogma off its plinth. Most scientists I know would love to knock a grand theory to smithereens.

Getting funding to do research whre you don't already know all the answers, there lies the bind.

Imagine if you blew the theory of evolution to smitereens? You'd be famous, your institute would be awash with money and glamour, it'd be crazy.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It depends on your definition of pirates… I believe that only proper old school pirates complete with eye patches, cutlass' and parrots are significant in climate change discussions.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

IM, do you have a reference for the quoted number of pirates in 2000 as it looks a bit low given recent activity?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,662092,00.html

Global warming appears to have stalled. Climatologists are puzzled as to why average global temperatures have stopped rising over the last 10 years. Some attribute the trend to a lack of sunspots, while others explain it through ocean currents.

http://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=376:unprecedented-increase-in-somali-pirate-activity&catid=60:news&Itemid=51

Global piracy figures have already surpassed the total number of attacks recorded in 2008, according to the latest quarterly piracy report released today by the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Maritime Bureau (IMB). The report also revealed that the total number of incidents in which guns were used had risen by more than 200%, compared to the corresponding period in 2008.

What more proof do you need?

midgebait
    Free Member

I suspected that the graph excluded 'Nu-pirates' with their fancy modern ways. Thanks for clarifying that one 😉

midgebait
    Free Member

Z11, I think you're onto something!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Short term increases in piratic activity are not necessarily representative of longer term piratical trends.

Note also that Somalia is one of the worlds lowest emitters of CO2 and is stuffed with pirates..so that must mean something.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Actually, as usual, Ratty is completely wrong.

The real explanation for the global warming/pirate anomaly, is that Somalia has the highest number of Pirates AND the lowest carbon emissions of any country.

HTH

EDIT : beaten by gwaelod !

duckman

Ernie; Whoever claimed Somalia has the lowest carbon emissions did not take into account the amount of fuel needed to steer supertankers away from the shipping lanes.Nor are they taking into account the fact that firing off your ak47 to celebrate a good night out adds to global warming.Bet they all drive around in 4x4s as well.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I offset firing my AK47, so it's OK.

midgebait
    Free Member

… plus indirect emissions from half of the world's naval vessels sailing around in circles off Somalia watching the pirates chase the supertankers driving around in circles to confuse said pirates.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bet they all drive around in 4x4s as well.

Aye, all of them. Loading up with Camels plays hell with your mpg too.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Note also that Somalia is one of the worlds lowest emitters of CO2 and is stuffed with pirates..so that must mean something.

OK, so we're in the bracket of cause and effect now –

perhaps pirates excrete an as yet unknown but highly effective anti CO2 particle, which I shall hereby label the "higgs-yo-ho-hosun" particle – hence the low carbon emissions from somalia, and the recent rise in pirate emissions reducing global CO2 is the evidential cause of the global cooling phenomenon!

duckman

What about the emissions caused by importing eyepatches and cutlasses?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If climate change ISN'T man-made isn't that even worse???

I mean, we're still going to be adversly affected by the increasing temperature, but with no idea of how to affect the climate!

At least if we've caused climate change through burning fossil fuels, we know how to stop it (even if convincing everyone is going to be difficult)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

we know how to stop it

No chance of that happening. Its happening already, way past the time when the brakes should have been applied. Its going to be a bumpy ride. Just don't buy property in Bangladesh.

mt
    Free Member

It's going to be like Easter Island but on a global scale, who'll be the one to chop down the last tree? Don't bother me as I have no kids and am not having any. I believe in global dimming.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘Global warming! the mystery deepens’ is closed to new replies.