Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Girl, 13, killed as a result of Teachers Strike. ( Warning, DailyMail content!
  • alpin
    Free Member

sad, but made sadder by the headline.

daily mail really is a pile of shite.

GrahamS

Wow, that’s a pretty big stretch, even for the Daily Heil.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

There has to be an award for most-tenuous link in a headline, surely?

Stuey01
    Free Member

That article is proper mental. I see they have disabled and hidden the (200plus) comments.

coffeeking
    Free Member

To be honest, the headline doesn’t say crushed to death because her teachers were on strike, it’s a factual headline and the article doesn’t (unless I missed a bit) say anything other than the fact – the tree fell on her when she was sat on a bench, because she wasn’t in school.

xiphon
    Free Member

The fact they are blaming the teachers strike for her sitting on that bench is shocking.

Tomorrows headline:

“Man murdered, as Police were not patrolling that street at that time”

(Basically the same thing…)

uwe-r
    Free Member

If i read that link it would make my piss boil. So i wont.

RealMan
    Free Member

Surely it’s the fault of the person who planted the tree?

binners

Pretty tame for the Daily Wail. If they were really on their game, they would have named specific Union Leaders and officials who could be held accountable. possibly with addresses to direct the lynch mob

Coffeeking,isn’t that how propaganda works though ?
    Manipulating public opinion without ever actually stating an untruth ?

xiphon
    Free Member

RealMan – no, it’s actually her Fathers fault for getting her Mum into bed about 14 years ago.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeeking,isn’t that how propaganda works though ?
    Manipulating public opinion without ever actually stating an untruth ?

Coincidentally that’s exactly how correct reporting works too… (though given the source, I can see the thought process).

If i read that link it would make my piss boil. So i wont.

It wouldn’t, it’s fairly neutral and just points out that someone was killed because they were unfortunately sat under a tree rather than sat in a classroom. No blame is apportioned except by those with knees prone to jerking!

binners

She must have been conceived around…erm… 1996-7. Damn. If she’s have been a bit older, we could have blamed Thatcher. As it is, its clearly Blairs fault

RealMan
    Free Member

Wow, sort the comments on the article by worst rated, and have a read.

How terrible, i hope all these SELFISH teachers who are on strike stop and think before they do something like this again as this could of been prevented, teachers and schools have a duty of care to these kids and if they selfishly want to go on stike about something so ridiculous and it is ridiculous they should be grateful they even have jobs, they should put adequate provisions in place to ensure that the kids stay at school, even if its a day filled with lectures from diff trades and things that they all sit in a n assembly hall for…… My condolences to the family, i offer you every sympathy and to little Sophie, rest in peace sweetheart xx

MrsToast
    Free Member

To quote South Park…

“Do we blame the matches?
    Or do we blame the fire?
    Or the doctors who allowed him to expire?
    NO! Blame Canada!”

Horrible freak accident, and a predictably poor showing from the Faily Fail. They could have just run the story and mentioned that she wasn’t in school due to industrial action. But no, they bizarrely try and lay the blame on the teachers – the story link is:

Teachers-strike-Sophie-Howard-13-killed-falling-branch-school-closed

…and the headline is:

“Girl, 13, crushed to death by a falling branch as she sat on park bench because her teachers were out on strike”

Which is horribly worded. The teachers’ strike didn’t cause the branch to fall on her, it fell because it was unstable and people had been reporting concerns since autumn. I suppose a lefty paper equally lacking in class could have reported “Girl killed by dangerous tree left by the council due to cutbacks”.

She was in the wrong place, at the wrong time and is now being used to have a poke at people taking strike action.

xiphon
    Free Member

I hope some of those comments are trolls!

Edukator
    Free Member

How many children die on the way to school? Close all the schools and lives can be saved.

joao3v16
    Free Member

No! Shoot the maniac who recklessly positioned a bench under a tree in a public place without considering the implications of a global recession and resultant pensions-related public services outcry!

xiphon
    Free Member

It could be a childs face next time. Oh shit, it was.

DrJ

It wouldn’t, it’s fairly neutral and just points out that someone was killed because they were unfortunately sat under a tree rather than sat in a classroom

What is the relevance of the classroom bit? She was not sat in a pub, or in her lounge watching tennis, or out riding her bike. Why don’t we mention those factors?

boblo
    Free Member

The girl was a friend of my niece.

It’s true she sat on a bench.

It’s true a tree branch fell on her.

It’s true she should have been in school.

I dunno if there’s a relationship between those things but blame?

coffeeking
    Free Member

What is the relevance of the classroom bit? She was not sat in a pub, or in her lounge watching tennis, or out riding her bike. Why don’t we mention those factors?

Because it was during the day when she should have been in school. Hence it’s valid to include where she wasn’t and why.

DrJ

@boblo – I’d say that it must be your fault. You should have been giving her, and other friends of your relatives, extra tuition in the local library. You must take the blame for this girl’s death.

uwe-r
    Free Member

The daily hail is a disgrace and it does make my piss boil. Don’t tell me it wont because it will.

boblo
    Free Member

@boblo – I’d say that it must be your fault. You should have been giving her, and other friends of your relatives, extra tuition in the local library. You must take the blame for this girl’s death.

Sorry I was too busy arguing on another thread to bother with 13 year old girls. Anyway, I’ve been told to stay away from them now….

DrJ

Because it was during the day when she should have been in school. Hence it’s valid to include where she wasn’t and why.

Hahahahaha – so now we can expect the newspapers to report what people were not doing when they happened to make the news? Ryan Giggs In Secret Sex Romp While Not Doing The Washing-Up.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m not bothering to open daily mail links from threads these days. They continue to print rubbish with sensationalist headlines as it generates paper sales or web traffic. Along with the BNP, I’m just pretending that they don’t exist.

[Sticks fingers in ears]La la la la la[/sticks fingers in ears]

B_Leach
    Free Member

Since when did the DM stop posting the names of article authors too? What the hell happened to accountability? 😯

billysugger
    Free Member

She may have saved a tramp though

Lifer
    Free Member

TOP TIP:

Use http://istyosty.com/ to view/link to the Daily Wail without adding to it’s hit count/ad revenue.

*FIST*

DrJ

She may have saved a tramp though

Indeed. Or maybe she only sat on that seat because her normal one was being used by a Daily Mail “journalist” having a kip instead of writing some proper stories. Or by Ryan Giggs shagging another non-celebrity.

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t you think it’s a fair point though? If she had been where she’s required by law to be, this wouldn’t have happened to her at that time.

Of course it might have happened to her at another time or to someone else. But in that little window of bad luck, it was her and it shouldn’t have been….

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hahahahaha – so now we can expect the newspapers to report what people were not doing when they happened to make the news? Ryan Giggs In Secret Sex Romp While Not Doing The Washing-Up.

🙄

xiphon
    Free Member

Lifer – interesting project!

epicyclo

How about:

“Teachers strike gives STWers opportunity to display rancid humour”

A child has died. Parents, family, friends grieving. Not funny in any shape or form.

Adders69
    Free Member

Is now a good time to mention that my daughter was in school last week taking an exam when a tree crashed through the classroom window?

All were unhurt, but goes to show the random nature of chance.

The Daily Nazi’s headline is not neutral, however – they are nasty and vile. I will not click on the link to the website though, as that’s the sort of attention seeking result they’re looking for …

I_Ache
    Free Member

Dont strike people! Think of the Children!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It was God’s fault. He created the tree.

Would you Adam and Eve it?

Kit
    Free Member

The Daily Mail report was written in such a way as to suggest that blame should be apportioned to the striking teachers. If they were to report it impartially, and without the hysterics, it would simply have been a non-political tragedy.

Here’s an example of impartial reporting of the facts

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Girl, 13, killed as a result of Teachers Strike. ( Warning, DailyMail content!’ is closed to new replies.