Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gilets essential or not ?
  • oldfart

Wondering if it's worth getting one .Would they be ideal for in between weather like at the moment .Pearl Izumi Zephyr got a good write up in WMB .Any recommendations for not much money ?

peteimpreza

How about cutting up those Royal Mail sacks you 'acquired'?

allthepies
    Free Member

Essential ? No.

Nice – yes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful is the way to go, IMO. 🙂

oldfart

pete i don't know what you mean !

oldfart

PP so which c& c ?

oldfart

good pics btw glad you both enjoyed the weekend.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a Montane pertex one that never leaves my Camelback, unless I'm wearing it of course! For me, a near essential piece of bike kit. When the weather closes in just a little bit, it'll get you out of trouble. When it gets really foul, it'll just add to your armoury. Get a teenytiny one that tucks away and you'll hardly notice it's with you, until you need it!

crazy-legs

Essential bike kit. As soon as you have one you wonder how you managed without. Bit like armwarmers and kneewarmers. Very useful kit for our changeable weather.

MoreCashThanDash

I love the things – superb for weather like this, keeps the cold off without you getting too hot – I have a Nalini one at present from ProBikeKit, but I used to have an Aldi special and that was fine for the money!

jonb
    Free Member

I love them too. Amazing how much warmth they can provide for so little weight. I use mine for a bit of extra warmth or instead of carrying a windproof/waterproof in summer. If I've only got short sleeves on and it isn't going to be cold then they provide just enough to get you through a shower or a puncture stop.

Dobbo

Essential? Yes.

Fold small & compact and keeps the wind out, mesh back prevents overheating.

Mines a really old Hind, but I should think most are of similar build!

druidh
    Free Member

Teamed up with a short sleeved top and armwarmers please.

singletracksurfer

very handy piece of clothing – well worth getting.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Got a cheap Altura one which is great, mesh back, windproof front, great for those cooler starts you get this time of year.

oldfart

thanks everybody seems like a thumbs up then 😀

woffle
    Free Member

thumbs up from me too! I pretty much wore my Gore daily for the last year – a bit tatty now but still going strong…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

my shower proof wind proof that I wear for 90% of the time is, happily, convertible to a mesh backed gilet. Wouldn't be without it TBH. I bought a second one even though I didn't need it, to be sure I wouldn't be without.

Berghaus ignitor I think its called.

atlaz
    Free Member

I got mine for 4 quid from Aldi. Had it nearly 3 years now and I'm happy with it.

Blackhound

I used one all weekend on a recent trip over the Cambrian Trail and it was great in strong winds and rain. Only a cheap Continental one which does not fit as well as others. Using it commuting at the moment. Thinking of upgrading to one of those nice looking Craft ones…..

vondally
    Free Member

aye……..essential 😀

Northwind

Not really essential but still fantastic, my little Montaine one isn't massively waterproof but it's so small, it can live in my camelbak so it's always there for when the weather turns. It's about the size of a teeny tiny organic tesco apple… Not really good enough for real foul weather riding but ideal for a "just in case".

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My most versatile and best bit of cycling apparel,is my £20 Decathlon gilet.Keppes you dry on all but the wettest days.Keeps the chill of on frosty night rides.Reccomended.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gilets essential or not ?’ is closed to new replies.