Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,745 total)
  • Gigs.
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Plenty of tickets in Glasgow

MrSparkle

Last Friday I got cheap tickets to see Dr Feelgood and Nine Below Zero at Blackburn KGH. Saw Dr Feelgood at Colne almost exactly to the day 33 years ago. :-0
    Not 100% sold on current lead singer. Didn’t know much about Nine Below but they were very good. The guitarists in both bands were really good and I was thinking how cool it would be to see them both playing. Last bit of the Nine Below set they wheeled ‘em on and it was ace!
    The cheap tickets were a fiver each. #winning.
    A823F7DB-1CDC-4A70-AA88-E16D460A80E0

Northwind

The Almighty at the Barrowlands last night, I am a little bit deaf today. Just a really good, straightforward romp through the “greatest hits”, which could have been weird with their odd career (the set covered 2 hard rock albums about shagging, 1 90s metal album and, let’s be honest here, one Therapy? album) but apparently the trick is to just play them all anyway and it’ll work out just fine. Do you like the new album? Or in fact anything written after 1996? Unlucky!

(They were one of the first bands I ever saw under my own steam, actually won backstage passes which was pretty funny with me and my brother, literal children, in the dressing room getting adopted- I remember Stumpy running around heroically trying to find some merch that’d fit us and some soft drinks and generally stop us from witnessing anything too rock and roll, while my dad waited for us outside. Met Vanessa Warwick from Headbangers Ball… And beforehand phoning up Kerrang to get the tickets sorted and speaking to rock journo legend Phil Alexander who basically had to explain how backstage passes work and tell us how to do go to gigs… Good times.)

MrSparkle

Cool! The Almighty! I’ve got a CD somewhere. I used to like them.

MrSparkle

Powertrippin’. 👍

djc1245
    Free Member

I’m going to see them next Friday in Gillingham. Looking forward to it. My tickets were a little more than a fiver though.

djc1245
    Free Member

Dr Feelgood and Nine Below Zero that is

cinnamon_girl

Surely that band doesn’t include an original member of Dr Feelgood? Please educate me!

djc1245
    Free Member

They are all gone i think

cinnamon_girl

Right. Is still confused!

donks
    Free Member

Just come back from watching transmission “joy division cover band” and have to say they bloody smashed it. Instrumentally they were superb and the set really got the crown going.

theotherjonv

Heal thyself, physician – when my daughter went off to Uni, I told her to grab any chance to see bands that she can as live music is always good, even if it isn’t.

So at a loose end last night, having planned to watch the Newcastle game only to find it was on TNT I went to the Boileroom (where else) and saw Tom A Smith. On a 10.50 ticket, what’s not to like?

A quick google and he’s an 18yo 6 Music future star from Sunderland (booo!) and slightly at risk of being a ‘find me another Sam Fender’ A&R man’s choice but was still impressed (and he’s been gigging since he was literally a kid). And yet more proof that girls on bass are the coolest creatures in the music business.

But before was another ‘kid with a guitar’ Tom Abisgold. Only caught the end of his set but he had a great voice and presence (more later) and a killer cover of Beyonce to finish!

And then Crystal Tides, a Portsmouth guitar indie-pop band. Again, a great stage presence, really had the crowd singing along.

Which is the only disappointment – being Portsmouth based the two supports had a lot of followers up (on the train?) to see them so the atmosphere was rocking through their sets and it’s easier to play to a home crowd, and I think a few then went part way through the headline act and the energy in the crowd dropped a bit. But that’s just being picky.

3 bands for £10.50 and I could still ‘watch’ the Newcastle game on BBC text

djc1245
    Free Member

When Wilco left they got a new guitarist, then Lee died so they get a new singer and i assume it carries on like that. Much like Trigger’s broom.

2tyred

Unusual one last night, string quintet from Scottish Opera (normal quartet plus double bass) playing baroque/early classical pieces in the local Episcopalian church. Freezing cold but really lovely and with free wine at the interval!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve had an email about Massive Attack on Clifton Downs next August.  Pre-sales for locals first but luckily I have a mate who lives within walking distance of the downs.

IHN

Cheeky classifieds nudge, but if anyone’s looking for something to do on Friday night in Manchester…

2 x Turin Brakes gig tickets, Manchester Uni, Friday 8th Dec

TBF, I’ll let them go for a decent mountain rescue donation

chrispoffer

@jate

chrispoffer: We are clearly (if accidentally) shadowing each other. I was also at Ben Folds last week and This Is The Kit last night at the Sage, sorry The Glasshouse…..

I would be really freaked out if you were also at the Fire Station in Sunderland to see Seth Lakeman last Wednesday :-) ….. or if you were off to the Steam Machine on Sunday to see Tom McConville & Michael Biggins ….. which were my last / next evenings out!

Turin Brakes ‘Ether Song’ is one of my favourite albums, pity I’m not closer to Manchester or I’d bite your hand off @IHN . They’re great live, I’ve seen them a couple of times.

cinnamon_girl

When Wilco left they got a new guitarist, then Lee died so they get a new singer and i assume it carries on like that. Much like Trigger’s broom.

Why don’t they call themselves a tribute act then?? Certainly appreciate seeing the original line-up before they hit the big time, then saw them a second time in a larger venue. Great that folk are still enjoying their music all these decades later!

jate
    Free Member

@chrispoffer

Err, prepared to be really freaked out…..  I was indeed at Seth Lakeman at the Fire Station last Wednesday.

chrispoffer

Noooooooooo! :-)

rone

The Charlatans tonight. I’ve also seen Pulp and James this year so you can see that I’m keeping up with the latest musical trends

Saw James but not be able to see  Pulp this year was a downer.

woody2000

2 very different gigs booked for next year – Rick Astley and IDLES at the piece hall next summer 😁

theotherjonv

Even if you don’t really know the bands, please try and support your local venue every now and then

djc1245
    Free Member

Why don’t they call themselves a tribute act then?? Certainly appreciate seeing the original line-up before they hit the big time, then saw them a second time in a larger venue. Great that folk are still enjoying their music all these decades later!

I suppose they are a sort of tribute act. Then again, if they replaced an original member,they were in Dr Feelgood at that time. I just hope they are good, and I’m looking forward to it. Next gig after this one is The Hives in April.

desperatebicycle

Hilarious that IDLES are playing Victorious Festival in Portsmouth next year – one below Snow Patrol on the bill!! :lol:

vd

Victorious on Sunday has Personal Trainer bottom of the supports. Would not want to be bands immediately following them…

desperatebicycle

2024 has some more bookings… mate has treated me to IDLES at Brighton Centre (December 1st!) so in return I got us tickets for Man/Woman/Chainsaw in March for £6 :P

halifaxpete

2 very different gigs booked for next year – Rick Astley and IDLES at the piece hall next summer 😁

I’ve got tickets for IDLES too, should be a lively evening! Brilliant venue and within walking distance for me too.

sadexpunk

I’ve got tickets for IDLES too, should be a lively evening! Brilliant venue and within walking distance for me too.

tried for ages for rock city and couldnt get any in the pre-sale, have to try again on friday :-/

frankconway

Lincoln Castle in June ’24…Crowded House, Jess Glynne, Paloma Faith, Kaiser Chiefs, Madness, Gregory Porter.
    Not on the same night!
    One per night on 3 Saturday and Sunday evenings.
    Something there for most tastes.

StuF

Managed to get a ticket for Idles at Rock city, looking forward to that., agree that should be lively. Also picked up some tickets for Loyle Carner for my daughter for Christmas (hopefully she’ll take me in return for Dad taxi duties to Halifax)

2tyred

Belle and Sebastian in Paisley last night – was a bit meh about going, as it meant missing my work Christmas do (a fairly lavish affair with people I like and a free bar) and I’m not sure about B+S’ last couple of albums, but they were tremendous, just a joyful entertaining noise in a really nice venue.

Seem them loads of times before but this was one of the best.

Arab Strap tonight!

sadexpunk

tried for ages for rock city and couldnt get any in the pre-sale, have to try again on friday :-/

Managed to get a ticket for Idles at Rock city, looking forward to that., agree that should be lively.

well done mate, sold out in minutes again and i still didnt manage to get any.  have to hope some become available on twickets nearer the time.

theotherjonv

Not a gig but worth watching some of the performances at Shane Macgowan’s funeral yesterday. I’ve told my wife I’d like Nick Cave at mine (not just his songs, actually Nick Cave)

I also ‘enjoyed’ the offerings to commemorate his life. The congregation applauding as the priest held a box of tea bags and a battered old tin tray aloft made me smile.

woody2000

@sadexpunk – I have a spare ticket for the IDLES gig at the piece hall if that’s any good for you? 

donks
    Free Member

I’m now very torn about 2 bands that will be doing a few UK dates next year. 

Jane’s addiction and LCD soundsystem.

Jane’s Addiction with be playing 2 dates at the roundhouse in may but it’s about £80 a pop which as a tight git gripes me but I’m more concerned they are past their best now. I saw them about 1990 (ish) at the Astoria with Primus and it’s was excellent but Perry’s voice might be well shot now and I’d hate to see them again and it be a flop. 

The same goes for LCD sound system…they haven’t announced any smaller venues yet but I know tickets will be excruciatingly expensive so I’ll have to see what transpires before getting any hopes up.  

sadexpunk

@sadexpunk – I have a spare ticket for the IDLES gig at the piece hall if that’s any good for you?

@woody2000
    thats really good of you, and tempting to book a night away, but i need 2 really mate, mrs ex-p loves them just as much as me :-)

thanks tho, much appreciated

wait4me

Suede tonight. Not a huge fan but first album is a bit of a classic. Normally wouldn’t have bothered but rarely get the chance to see a gig I can get a bus to!

StuF

@sadexpunk shame you missed out, hopefully you’ll get some nearer the time. 

We had to delay the daily 10am meeting so both me and a mate could both try and get tickets. #priorities

sc-xc

Levs and Neds tonight, should be good catching up with a few old faces

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,745 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.