Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,745 total)
  • Gigs.
  • ChrisL

I was at the same Man on Man gig as Northwind, it was indeed very good and very loud.

Tomorrow I’m seeing Bob Mould at the Liquid Room, he’s doing a solo show but I still expect it’ll be very loud.

rogerturner

Going to see Bob Mould tonight in Leeds. Heard good things about some of the European dates. 

lister

Bob solo never disappoints. It’ll be loud and awesome. Gutted I couldn’t make one of his gigs on this little tour.

Hopefully he’ll be back with his band next year.

lister

How was Bob?

….sorry…

HOW WAS BOB???

rogerturner

Bob was full on! He makes an enormous noise for one man and his amp, and put enormous energy onto it, especially as he’d flown into Heathrow in the morning and travelled up. 

It made me want to see him with a full band again. 

lister

I don’t know how he makes the noise he does from 6 strings. There is bass, rhythm and melody; all at very loud levels.

He never fails to thoroughly entertain me. Glad he was good.

_tom_
    Free Member

Saw QOTSA in Birmingham on Sunday. Mixed thoughts but mainly because I don’t really like the new album which they played quite a bit off. Regular John was a great opener though and ending with Song For The Dead is always awesome. The whole band is really tight sounding and all the guitar tones etc are spot on. I just prefer them when they’re heavier! Their Reading 2014 set was perfection for me.

johndoh
    Free Member

Okay so I had never heard of Bob Gould but a few searches later and yeah – he’s basically Nirvana (not in a bad way) but in his 50s. I’d go and see him live 👍

zippykona

Okay so I had never heard of Bob Gould but a few searches later and yeah – he’s basically Nirvana (not in a bad way) but in his 50s. I’d go and see him live 👍

Somewhat underselling his legacy.
    Husker Du , 8 miles high. A year zero for my musical education.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Justgotbackfrombob👍👍👍

The album cover???

I was hoping to find a tee shirt in 4xl😂😉😂

lister

@johndoh He’s happily been behind the scenes of the alternative rock world since the early 80s.

Hüsker Dü was his first band and it’s worth listening to the albums in order to see how they changed in a very short space of time.

Then he did two solo albums which are often overlooked but are quality.

Then Sugar was his most commercially successful band in the 90s. Then back to solo and band work. Silver Age was a kind of comeback to full band output and is awesome.

He plays very fast and loud live and doesn’t look like a 60 year old while doing it. Well worth seeing him, with band or solo, if you get the chance.

ChrisL

Bob Mould in Edinburgh was, as foretold by prophecy, loud. And energetic. He’s 63 now and managed 20+ songs in a 100 minute set with only the minimum gaps between songs. I’m 15 years younger than him and wish I had his energy.

I discovered him late on, through one of my favourite bands, The Hold Steady, giving Husker Du as one of their biggest influences. I have the last 3 (of 6) Husker Du albums, they get progressively more melodic and also the production improves a lot through them, I found the last one much easier to get into than the others.

Sugar’s Copper Blue is a great album and definitely worth checking out. It apparently got a lot of attention at precisely the sort of time when I was listening to the radio a lot and should have been aware of it but somehow it passed me by for years.

His recent solo stuff is pretty good, very consistent 3-piece rock music basically.

PrinceJohn

Saw Bob Mould a few years ago supporting Pixies – he was fantastic.

Last night saw the Lottery Winners for the 3rd time this year. Such a fun band live. Someone heckled the singer, they said you’re fab – he thought they said kebab & about 2 mins later someone handed them a half eaten kebab that for some reason they’d bought to the gig.

lovewookie

having to kick the sisters of mercy gig to touch as the wife has broken her toe and my daughter has had an allergic reaction and a swollen face. however, on a more amusing note, my wife is hoping to see sex gang children (I may go along too), so has been googling and is now on a register somewhere (probably)

I recall last time we saw them we hadn’t realised that Andi sex gang was very very short, which had my wife googling sex gang children dwarf…I mean, I’m not going to stop her, it’s comedy gold.

desperatebicycle

I saw Sex Gang Children in the 80s. Got jumped on in the mosh pit and thrown out for fighting! Only time I’ve been thrown out of a gig. Was quite annoyed.

tomparkin

Had a busy week last week for gigs: Elder (with support from Slomosa) at Gorilla in Manchester on Sunday, then Ben Folds at the O2 Apollo the following Friday.

Ben Folds I didn’t know any of the songs really, only having heard “Whatever and Ever Amen” from the Ben Folds Five days. But! He had a good band with him, gave a slot to two of them (who are an outfit in their own right) to do a song of their own mid-set; and both he and the support act did a singalong. So it was well good.

The Elder gig was fantastic. The opening band Steak weren’t really my cup of tea, but Slomosa were absolutely cracking, so tight, so energetic, and a great sound. I liked their album but found it a bit too poppy to have much staying power, but live it was entirely kick-ass. Then Elder were a whole other thing: shifting waves of sound, drifts of coloured smoke, the audience singing the guitar melody from Sanctuary back to them. Brilliant.

rockbus

Went to see Scouting For Girls last night…. i know it wont win me any cool points! But one of few bands me and the wife both like and they are a brilliant live band. Done some great pop tunes, top musicians and always deliver a genuinely fun and entertaining show.

desperatebicycle

Bob Vylan last night in a sold out industrial unit in Southampton. Funny, Bobby mentioned that they last played The Joiners when they were in Southampton and about 200 people cheered. Well I was there kids and none of you were, cos there were only about 40 people!
    They were excellent last night, he has proper stage presence. Loved the encouraging of throwing items of clothing onstage and a HUGE bra landing in front of him :lol:
    Godawful 2nd support band sounded like Linkin Park, that old 90s shite, but the first band, Panic Shack were good. Worth catching on their own at a smaller venue.
    Only one more booked for this year (rude name that won’t get past the swear filter). Been a pretty good year, highlights – Mandy Indiana, clipping. and Gabriels. Worst gig was Foals.

theotherjonv

Just caught up on this…… did your jetsetting mate go because I’d have pulled your arm off for that ticket, not just Bob Vylan but Panic Shack too, who my daughter saw at Truck Fest and has been on my list since.

“You SHUSHED ME IN THE CINEMA!”

vd

Woohoo- Personal Trainer/Pom Poko double bill next April in Brighton, Bristol etc. Tickets on sale tomorrow. My 2 favourite live bands

chrispoffer

@tomparkin – if you listen to Ben Folds new Album – ‘What Matters Most’ – you’ll be able to relive the concert, most of the tracks on it were played last week at the Sage in Gateshead so I’d assume the same at Manchester. Like you I enjoyed the band, the guitarist and cello player’s project is called Tall Heights, they did an unplugged song at the front of the stage by themselves halfway through his set which was beautiful. Showed how good the acoustics are at the Sage too.

This is the Kit last night for me at the Sage (again). Always a good time with Kate Stables, was interesting to be sat down for a change :-)

IdleJon

The Men They Couldn’t Hang on Saturday, in Bristol.

It’s a matinee gig! We can catch a train up so we can all drink. We can get there early enough to have lunch and stay late enough to have dinner. We can drink and not think about who is driving home or having a hangover the next day.  Add in that TMTCH are one of my favourite bands and I’d better have a good day out! :D

desperatebicycle

did your jetsetting mate go

Yes! He actually made it to a gig… He even liked the support band I hated, so had a good night :)

tomparkin

Tall Heights, they did an unplugged song at the front of the stage by themselves halfway through his set which was beautiful

Yes! Same do in Manchester, and similarly showed off the excellent acoustics of the Apollo 😂

I might have a listen to the album: I did give it a whirl before the gig but found the single “Exhausting Lover” first which wasn’t my cup of tea at all, and promptly gave up 😩

chrispoffer

The rest of the album was pretty solid – and you’ll now know all the songs having listened to them in Manchester ;-)

woody2000

Adult DVD at the brudenell next Tuesday.  If anyone is in Leeds, get thi’sen up there Tuesday evening and have a listen. They are ace 🙂
    And it’s £5. Five bloody quid for a couple of hours live music.

https://adultdvd.bandcamp.com/track/fomo

binners

Erm… anyone else thinking of getting Girls Aloud tickets then? I can’t be the only one admitting to that particular guilty pleasure?

I tried and failed to get BC Camplight tickets for Hebden Trades Club as soon as they went on sale yesterday. They must have sold out in seconds

woody2000

Erm… anyone else thinking of getting Girls Aloud tickets then? I can’t be the only one admitting to that particular guilty pleasure?

On your own there I’m afraid binners 😁

lambchop
    Free Member

Alvvays, 26th June next year. Guessing it’s a warm up for Glastonbury. 

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Going to see Dylan John Thomas with the kids tomorrow night.

jate
    Free Member

chrispoffer: We are clearly (if accidentally) shadowing each other.  I was also at Ben Folds last week and This Is The Kit last night at the Sage, sorry The Glasshouse…..

Ben is my daughter’s musical hero. She’s 22 now but has been listening to his music since she was born. She says her knowledge of swearing comes either from my wife or his songs.  We hung around by the tour bus afterwards and Ben popped out to say hi, so my daughter got to meet him and had her photo taken with him. Security needed to be called to prise her away…..

jate
    Free Member

And worry not binners, I have signed up for the Girls Aloud pre-sale.

seriousrikk

Pleasant suprise this saturdays gig. Doors are at half five, so get three bands and home by half ten, winner :)
    (Xandria supported by Skarlett Riot, Asylum Birmingham)

theotherjonv

Pleasant suprise this saturdays gig. Doors are at half five,

Now that would be a pleasant surprise, I’d love to have seen Jim in his prime.

simondbarnes

I have the pleasure of being entertained by Joe Tatton 🎹 Lucas De Mulder 🎸and Luke Flowers 🥁 this evening. They are **** amazing 🙂

PrinceJohn

Well jealous of Bob Vylan & Panic Shack, caught both of them at festivals during the summer & they’d make a top night out.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Just bought two tickets to see Tricky at Camden Roundhouse next March.

ransos
    Free Member

The Charlatans tonight. I’ve also seen Pulp and James this year so you can see that I’m keeping up with the latest musical trends.

desperatebicycle

Well, final gig of the year was a bit of a disappointment. Joiners, great venue, packed wiv da youf. Where they get to know these bands, I do not have a clue. “Band” (one fella with an acoustic last night) are called Cryw*nk… I’d just seen the name on the ‘net and got curious, gigs nearly always being good at the Joiners, thought I’d give it go.
    But when he started the (sold out) crowd all start singing along to the words! WTF? Anyway, it was just a bit boring and nice, bizarrely enough, so I left after 3 songs.
    Nothing til Feb now.
    Did buy tickets for the lovely Hotel Lux at the Wedgewood Rooms in Jan, then realised I’ll be away on that day (Doh!) (Jan 29th) so if anyone’s interested in discounted tickets for that (jonv?!) gimme a shout :)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Jesus & Mary Chain tickets have just gone live (for march 2024).

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,745 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.