Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Getting back into biking…29r or 26 or 27.5?? Help!
  • ron70
    Free Member

Hi, new on the forum, trying to get back into mountain biking after 10 years out, I used to own a gt zasker which I no longer have so wanted advise on a new one.
    I’m amazed how mountain biking has changed!!! 😯
    I thought big wheels were for the road? I’ve heard there’s a great debate about it all and I’m confused with what to go with, my friends who I used to ride with say stick with 26 as its all marketing tosh, they do a bit of downhill style riding as well as the odd bit of climbing, surely it can’t be all marketing tosh if its taking off so big and the magazines all seem to recommend them, but which is more suited to the riding I want to do? I don’t want to do full on xc like I used to, I’d like to be able to do the odd bit of downhill too…. This really is confusing me to the point I don’t want to waste my money on something that’s going to be extinct in a few years… 🙄

jimw
    Free Member

The best advice that is usually given on this forum is to go out and try a few, find something you are comfortable with and enjoy it and not bother what everybody else has. There are demo days happening soon or go to LBS and see what they have. There are very few really poor bikes out there so sometimes it is best to find a shop you are comfortable with and stick to one of their brands to start with. That’s how I started out

I have been lucky enough to have owned a number of bikes, and only one of them was a (mild) disapointment.

Edit:
    On re reading your post, I will offer my advice, but don’t necessarily follow it!

A trek Fuel Ex might cover your requirements- light enough and an efficient climber but with some downhill potential (26″)
    A friend has a Specialized Epic Comp 29er which he thinks is fantastic but perhaps doesn’t have enough travel?

If you are looking for a hardtail, Cotic Solaris with a 120mm fork (29″)?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Pop down to you local bike shop and demo a few different bikes that they would recommend for your type of riding. That way you can make an informed decision based on experience rather than asking people on here who can sometimes be slightly biased and could potentially cause more confusion. IMO. 🙂

ron70
    Free Member

A trek Fuel Ex might cover your requirements- light enough and an efficient climber but with some downhill potential (26″)
    A friend has a Specialized Epic Comp 29er which he thinks is fantastic but perhaps doesn’t have enough travel?
    If you are looking for a hardtail, Cotic Solaris with a 120mm fork (29″)?

Yeah I’ve noticed that the big wheeled bikes don’t seem to have enough travel compared with a 26? Also I know it shouldn’t matter about how a bike looks but them big wheeled bikes look very dangly, what are they like for cornering? I’m still a little concerned about which size wheel to buy though, I think I’d prefer the 26 as they look a lot more agile, but what if after a few years they stop doing parts 26″ bikes or perhaps I buy a 29er or 27.5 but they don’t take off well and stop doing them?? I really don’t want to buy into something they’re going to discontinue making.

chainslapp – Member
    Pop down to you local bike shop and demo a few different bikes that they would recommend for your type of riding. That way you can make an informed decision based on experience rather than asking people on here who can sometimes be slightly biased and could potentially cause more confusion. IMO.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

This is how I feel already though. 🙄

chainslapp
    Free Member

It sounds to me like a 26″ 120m XC FS would be a good start for the type of riding you suggest in your OP. It also comes down to budget as well though. There are so many parameters.

asterix
    Free Member

the chance of 26 being discontinued is pretty small. there is a lot on here about the bigger wheels, but by far most bikes actually in use today are 26in. Its like with motobikes – its easy to focus on the small number of superbikes sold, but its the millions of step-thru mopeds that really count

Carax
    Free Member

Contrary to what some say Size does Matter –

If you are above about 5′ 10 -you should deffo try a 29er, if you are vertically challenged the choice is less clear cut.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Line up a few of each wheel size, say ~120mm full sus ish and pick the one you like the colour of – if it’s a decent bike it’ll be a decent bike. Whether it’s 29, 27.5 or 26 it’s still all marketing tosh and you’ll have fun riding your new bike no matter what.

Frankers
    Free Member

I also think a 26″ 120mm Full Suspension is a great general XC/Trail bike…..

Oh… look ONE for sale here 😉

ron70
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advise, I’ve decided to stick with a 26″ I had a test ride on a specialized epic comp 29er and to be honest I felt a bit dissapointed with it, it felt too big and clumsy, maybe I was expecting it to feel magical or something but the 26″ just feels more….like a bike should do! 🙂 plus one of my old riding buddies says he knows someone with a 29er who was downhilling on one and completely bent his wheel on a drop off! 😯
    Still struggling though now with what 26″ !!! 😕

mangatank
    Free Member

Go 36er!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wheel size is not the most important factor. Fit and handling is. Try to ride some bikes of different types on the terrain you want to ride and decide what you like. Make a note of the geometry and buy something similar. Fine adjustment can be done with a change of stem, bars, saddle, tyres etc.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Bending a wheel on a drop off is down to rider skill (or lack of) and not wheel size. Wheel size doesn’t matter. Get a bike that feels right that’s within your budget and that is the right choice for you. You’re more likely to ride it then. Enjoy your return to the sport, I was in your position 3 yrs age and can’t remember why i ever stopped doing it in the first place.

rOcKeTdOg

but by far most bikes actually in use today are 26in

if you are counting super market specials i agree, if you are talking proper bikes I think it’s closer, if this was the US I’d say more 29ers, specialized don’t make many, if any 26″ bikes now, other companies are following suit

on the other hand, if you are say under 6ft a 26″ bike would be ideal, afterall there hasn’t been anything wrong with them for the last 20+ years

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m under 6′ and my medium size 29er hardtail is fine. It had the same wheelbase and BB height as the 26er equivalent so from a rider perspective in terms of riding position and height off the ground the larger wheels have made no difference. I think you’d have to be getting on for sub 5′ height before 29ers started being an issue

bwaarp
    Free Member

Depends what kind of riding you do and whether you like a playful bike or a stable barge.

Basically if you like hitting dirt jumps, jumpy tight trails, really tight steep stuff, or anything that warrants a full blown DH bike go with a 26er.

If you do a lot of piling through rock gardens on wider trails/less bermy/switchbacky ones (eg peaks) and your uncomfortable hitting them at speed on a 26er, then get a 29er. Especially if you prefer to hug the ground as they are more stable.

Don’t let the “29ovah witnesses” tell you they are great at everything, both have their time and place.

rOcKeTdOg

the larger wheels have made no difference.

a 26″ bike would be ideal, afterall there hasn’t been anything wrong with them for the last 20+ years

26″ it is then

mangatank
    Free Member

Depends what kind of riding you do and whether you like a playful bike or a stable barge.

Ah, delightfully unbiased advice there… 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike! 😀

Bucko

What bikes do your mates ride? Look at the people who ride the same trails as you, they may have been through a couple bikes to get to the one they are happy with so take advice from them.

A 140mm FS does everything for me from local woods to trail centres to granite covered Dartmoor. Some areas in the UK might find a 100mm HT is a better all rounder for the terrain.

Paceman
    Free Member

plus one of my old riding buddies says he knows someone with a 29er who was downhilling on one and completely bent his wheel on a drop off!

LOL… nothing to do with wheel size.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I did a similar thing to you last year, got into dh riding I git a 6inch enduro bike and it only just copes with proper dh riding a 120 would be very tricky to learn the new riding style on. So I’d advise a 150-160 bike that can still be pedalled. And 26!

Bucko

That’s a good point actually, what do you mean by ‘a bit of downhill style riding’? Where do you ride?

HermanShake
    Free Member

It’s a hard question to answer; budget, terrain etc etc.

I think the Titus El Guapo (26″) is a great deal: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBTITEGV1/titus_el_guapo_x9_lyrik_reverb_ccdb

Under £2k with an excellent fork, dropper, shock, X9 transmission etc The only fly in the ointment for me is the Avid brakes as I prefer Shimano but they can easily be sold and replaced. It’s had good reviews and does a bit of everything with a bias towards descending.

Only some sizes are in stock, but they’ll get more in. You can look in person if you’re near Rotherham.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Getting back into biking…29r or 26 or 27.5?? Help!’ is closed to new replies.