Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 709 total)
  • Get your dancing on grave boots ready
  • uplink
    Free Member

They’ll still manage fine and be happy.

You know, over the last 20 yrs or so we’ve fostered 24 kids [& adopted one of them] if you really think that the bulk of those kids have the same opportunities as you [or I] have/had, I think you must live on the moon

You’re that dense, I really don’t think I’ll bother responding any more to you – bye

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Since Hora’s turned up, I’ve pretty much lost interest in this thread tbh. The sun is shining, and life’s too short to waste arguing with the likes of Surf-Mat and Hora, over the faults of society. Bit like trying to ride yer bike with busted tyres….

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

All the hard worker folk however get on with it, move to where the work is and pay through the nose in mortgage/insurance policies etc etc to help support the economy.

Actually, if you spend all your money on mortgage and insurance you’re doing fkall to “help the econony “because these are financial services and provide very little in the way of employment. Spending your money on fast cars, booze and smokes which are manufactured goods will provide work in the manufacturing sector, which needs supplies and distribution so create more distribution of wealth. So people should be encouraged to stay in cheap rented accomodation and spend all they save.

hora
    Free Member

if you really think that the bulk of those kids have the same opportunities as you [or I] have/had,

but that was down to their own **** parents/parenting skill-void.

Junkyard
    Free Member

However someone who pays £45 a week rent yet works will NEVER want to leave such a cushy home number that has all the maintanence etc paid for.

Some points
    Mnost probably cannot afford to leave as they are on low wages
    The rent is more than £45 per week
    What is wrong with renting most on the continent do this.It aids social and worker mobility, transfer wealth from the poor to the rich and give you a flexible workforce thought you would be excitec by that proposition.
    I assume you have loads of mates in council houses eh

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hora – Member

“if you really think that the bulk of those kids have the same opportunities as you [or I] have/had, “

True to some extent but it still means the child does not have equality of opportunity.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Surf-Mat I’m hoping your reference to Bobby McFerrin (with his historical opposition to right wing politics) is a nod to the well crafted troll you’ve displayed here, and not further evidence of ignorance?

uplink
    Free Member

go on then, father dead, mother in latter stages of terminal cancer – what did they do wrong

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

no they do not have the financial resources to take advantage of the rights they have.

Will you stop bringing it back to financial ability – I have stated my point and I fully accept some people cannot afford this and that and the other – that is always going to happen as we can’t all be equally well off and have identical lives. But walk into a hospital in inner city Glasgow or a well off suburb in London and you will still get the treatment you need without having to pay for it.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I have stated my point and I fully accept some people cannot afford this and that and the other

not being rude like but what is the point in that point? Life isn’t like that as has been pointed out many many times above. I completely agree with your point, it’s just the world doesn’t work in an ideal way. So, accepting your point, what do we do with that information?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Will you stop bringing it back to financial ability

Only if this has no effect on my ability to excercise my rights over helath , education and housing- the rights are not equally weel excercised by the rich and poor in the real world ?
    This is circular and repititive m-f

grumm
    Free Member

Will you stop bringing it back to financial reality

Fixed that for you.

hora
    Free Member

go on then, father dead, mother in latter stages of terminal cancer – what did they do wrong

24 times? Thats harsh isn’t it?

A council house should be for life then folks?

Thing is on STW these arguments never get anywhere as there are clearly two camps;

The Poor/rich who still have hope in living.
    The Poor/rich who are embittered by life.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you really want to succeed it is possible to rise above your social background, I can think of at least 10 people I know well who are now
    successful professional people. I grew up with them in Brixton/Streatham in the 70’s fair to say that back then it was a proper shithole. We had riots, high immigration, shite schools, hefty unemployment and they were all from working class backgrounds every factor that would appeat to mean that we were destined to fail. We were all “estate” kids too. Most of them are in the “real” professions.

The common factor is that we are all foreigners Asian, Black and Arab and our parents ruled with a rod of iron. Whatever we were surrounded by wasn’t what we were going to be. I think that is where lots of people fall down these days – Shite parenting skills and no discipline it’s the job of parents to sort their kids not the state.

joolsburger
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

I lived on less than £10 per week for two months at uni

that just about sums up the thatcher supporters of this thread and their total and utter denial of reality..

did you live on that..? HOW did you cope you poor little bear!? my goodness.. and mum and dad couldn’t help you out? for two whole months..!!?

oh how you’ve **** suffered.. I bet that scarred you.. it must have for you to even recall such an horrific ordeal… do you want a cuddle little lamb..?

I am disgusted by the ignorance of some people… I can’t read this any longer as it makes me want to weep at the deluded arrogance of it all..

EAT THE RICH

uplink
    Free Member

24 times? Thats harsh isn’t it?

no Hora, as you well know that was an example, the last one we looked after

Now, are you going to answer the question?
    What did her parents do wrong?

grumm
    Free Member

The common factor is that we are all foreigners Asian, Black and Arab

Racist. 😛

Again though – a few case studies doesn’t change the economic reality for the vast majority of people.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

“no they do not have the financial resources to take advantage of the rights they have.”

Will you stop bringing it back to financial ability – I have stated my point and I fully accept some people cannot afford this and that and the other – that is always going to happen as we can’t all be equally well off

And its an unfortunate fact that financial wellbeing affects your opportunities

Please explain to me how a single mum in a council house is going to be able to get her kid into the good school from another area. She cannot move house to do so. You can. So your kids get opportunities that hers do not

Just one simple and obvious case

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Joolsburger – things have changed since then. How many of them could not afford to go to uni now?

My partner went to university from a working class background. She would not have gone if the rules then are as they are now. Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

hora – embittered Member

I fundamentally disagree with your posts on this so I have updated your membership status.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

There is a lot of this going on here (not that I’m surprised …)

hora
    Free Member

1/24. Less than 4% of your sample study you used as your sweeping-example?

hora – embittered Member

I’m as disgusted with your use of capital letters as I am with my grasp of basic mathematics.

aracer
    Free Member

I find the whole ‘let’s all go out and celebrate when she dies’ bollox, pathetic, childish, and a sign of political immaturity.

Yeah, but it’s amusing watching them (and the other side) get worked up about it. Do carry on chaps.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Most of them couldn’t afford uni then! Parents saved every penny and went without so they didn’t. It is I believe statisically correct to say that Asians especially do significantly better in education and it’s not an accident that they do. Of course the University fee structure is shocking but it’s being driven in no small part by the requirement for everyone to go to uni when most or many would be better suited to apprenticeships etc. Universities used to educate the gifted now they run courses in nonsense paid for by the taxpayer at expense we cant afford.

My view is that lots of people seem to think that they are in some way owed something by dint of being born in this country and the world simply doesn’t work that way.

uplink
    Free Member

1/24. Less than 4% of your sample study you used as your sweeping-example?

Hora, that 4% [as you put it] was probably one of the milder situations –
    your brains really are brand new aren’t they?
    I suspect your life expectancy has already passed your I.Q. [going in opposite directions] so I’ll save you further embarrassment

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Uplink, do you mean ‘brand new’ in a similar way to the emperor’s ‘brand new’ clothes? 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Julesburger. You got considerably more support in the 70s at university than you do now. it was perfectly possible to be from a poor family and graduate without debts or support from your parents. My girlfriend did. it is not possible now

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Please explain to me how a single mum in a council house is going to be able to get her kid into the good school from another area. She cannot move house to do so. You can. So your kids get opportunities that hers do not

She probably can’t do it.

But it still doesn’t alter the fact she has the right to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – so her child does not have the opportunity yours do = inequality of opportunity

uplink
    Free Member

Surely having a ‘right’ must in some way infer the ability to exercise it?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You’re that dense, I really don’t think I’ll bother responding any more to you – bye

Well done for the fostering – amazing but as for not responding any more – who are you exactly? I cannot recall your username?

backhander
    Free Member

Hmmmm, not sure on this one. My mum was a single parent until after I left home. She managed to get a council flat transfer from one side of a city (very rough) to another (not so rough). As a result I went to a slightly better school than I would have which may or may not have helped I dunno!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thats true but they did their degrees between 86-2002. The point still stands, a strong family behind you makes a hell of a difference.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So now most people here hate those with a bit of money AND a supportive family?

Dammit, beginning to wish I’d started out as a penniless orphan just so I can fit in.

rkk01
    Free Member

Surely having a ‘right’ must in some way infer the ability to exercise it?

An example, to point out the absurdity – and distaste of this argument…

Would it be appropriate for someone from a black, asian, or any other ethnic background, to be called a f*king *@37#[insert whatever demeaning racial slur] in their workplace?

After all, they have the right not to be subjected to racial discrimination in the workplace – but perhaps they work for one of the public bodies previouslly assessedas being institutionally racist.

But they’ve got the right, so its ok, yes?

… or is it the reality that important?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member

Thats true but they did their degrees between 86-2002. The point still stands, a strong family behind you makes a hell of a difference.

Indeed it does joolsburger.

You did say 70s in your original post

I do suspect tho that those who had little money but who did degrees when there was more support for people with no money would be less likely to go to university now

uplink
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

As a man of Harrogate, I’m sure you’ll be able to confirm that my son has a right to go to Harrogate Ladies College then?
    They seem to do well in OFSTED stuff etc & it seems well regarded, & I’m betting that the perks aren’t too bad for a young man

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

So now most people here hate those with a bit of money AND a supportive family?

Like who
    What many of us dislike is that being from a family that is both supportive and had a bit of money gives you an unfair advantage in life.

I am from exactly the sort of background you are. Nice and cosy middle class. I am certain that gave me an advantage in life but I don’t call those less advantaged than me lazy and useless

magowen100
    Free Member

“Dammit, beginning to wish I’d started out as a penniless orphan just so I can fit in.”

So do I; so you can learn something about empathy and humility two qualities you clearly lack.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 709 total)

The topic ‘Get your dancing on grave boots ready’ is closed to new replies.