Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Geometry Geeks – we made a thing
  • robertgray05
    Free Member

So a friend and I built a website to gather bike geometry info and make it easy to compare.

It’s here: https://geometrygeeks.bike

It’s very early days, we don’t have much data loaded yet (it’s mostly road bikes) and there’s a good chance it’ll break when you’re using it. We have lofty ambitions for it to become the go-to resource for bike geometry though, and you gotta start somewhere.

FEEDBACK PLEASE! On here or using the tool on the site – look in the footer.

Have a play with it – the Directory link in the footer shows you all the bikes currently loaded.

Cheers 🙂

Bob

PS Full disclosure – at some point we’ll use ads to hopefully pay hosting costs.

PPS the add bike tool does work (mostly) but we have a secret bulk upload tool too, so if there’s a particular bike or brand you’d like to see, let us know and we’ll prioritise.

jimmy

I like the comparison jobby. That would have saved me ages in the past.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The comparison isn’t displaying correctly on my iPhone 7 plus. The rows are not aligned with the correct data. When I compare 2 bikes the top tube row shows the compare dot. The bike has a head angle of 398 and I think every other row is wrong too. I would do a screen grab but I’m on site and not sure how to do it from my phone.
    Good work though and I’m not criticising just letting you know.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robertgray05
    Free Member

v useful, thanks 🙂

kimbers

big thumbs up from me

moff

Took me a few attempts to find out how to compare bikes.
    Maybe build it around columns, with drop downs or search function for each column?

A graphical display (line diagram maybe) of the geometry over layed on each other would make it easier to understand the differences.

Otherwise looking good, will be a great resource.

drofluf
    Free Member

I like it! Generally intuitive to use, nice look and data well presented

A couple of points:

I compared 2 bikes and then deselected one of them so that I could compare to a different one but couldn’t easily see how to add a new bike to the comparison without going via the home page. An Add button would be useful.

Perhaps change the text on the Add a bike link? I assumed that it was to add another bike to my comparison rather than add a bike to the database.

qtip

Nice idea. It would be good to be able to add bikes to the compare list without having to go into each individual bike page – perhaps a dropdown from the list of bikes allowing the specific size to be added.

Also, when adding bike details, a table allowing entry of multiple frame sizes at the same time would be good. I added the details for a large 2017 Orange 5 (as it’s what I own) – I got the geometry info from Orange’s page, which was in a table with all frame sizes. If I’d been able to enter all frame sizes in one go then I would have done so. As it was, I just entered the info for the large.

Finally, the table for entering details should be clear about whether things like top tube and seat angle are actual or effective (I entered actual). I think this could be a possible source of confusion, especially as some manufacturers only give one or the other.

robertgray05
    Free Member

thanks, all noted.

keep it coming…

cokie

I like the concept and could see it being a really useful resource, so well done!

My basic feedback;
    Design: lots of wasted space in the head and footer, UI & UE is lacking (e.g.- The tables are difficult to navigate as there aren’t dividing lines and the background colour is also white).

Optimization: Looks really good actually, I like the fixed ID column

Functionality: Basic- would be nice to have additional comparison options, such as a ‘difference’ column that gives the +- comparison. Look up and sorting functions is pretty key (discipline, wheel size, sex, etc). I’d add some more parameters. Death by scrolling is not ideal.

I know all of the above will come with time and I don’t mean to be overly critical. I’d be happy to get involved in this project if you need a hand. I’m a BSA with some free time- cokie.stw(at)gmail.com

Edit: I see where your design and some features comes from, hayhub.com. Looks like you’ve used the same template.

robertgray05
    Free Member

@cokie – bootswatch is very useful!

kimbers

be interesting to be able to compare sagged and static geometry, but obviously thats a lot more work 😉

STATO
    Free Member

be interesting to be able to compare sagged and static geometry, but obviously thats a lot more work

Ive got a huge spreadsheet of comparisons for MTB’s from when I was looking for a new one, and for a bike with suspension comparing stock geo figures is not really possible without noting which are sagged (for some you need to run the numbers yourself to work that out as its not always clear) and correcting for it.

longmover
    Free Member

This will be useful for me, what with being on the extreme end of bike sizing.

brakeforcake
    Free Member

Nice idea for a website, it will come in handy. I’m a certified Geometry Geek and have spent time compiling geometry data into an Excel file in order to make ‘on paper’ comparisons before translating this to how it actually feels on the trail.

My feedback:
    I entered the geometry for a 2012 Orange Five in sizes small and medium. These two sizes show up as two separate links in the Bike Directory under the heading “Orange Five 2012” (no info on size to help differentiate). It would be slicker to have a single link for “Orange Five 2012”, which then leads to all of the geometry data across the different sizes.

Obviously it would be very nice if the geometry data could be used to generate a line drawing of the frame, which could then be overlaid on another to help give a visual comparison.

Keep up the good work!

lunge

Like that, I’ve added a couple of bikes for you.

larkim
    Free Member

Units of measurement need to be consistenty displayed (e.g. 450mm compared to 425) – either always append the units, or always suppress them.

Graphical overlay would be ideal too.

benpinnick

I’d like to get our range upthere, so let me know about a bulk uploader… Dont fancy typing in 30 bikes 🙂

Also a great feature would be to add travel (Fr and rear) and then have a search function where you can punch in things like desired travel, HA, Reach and match against bikes that are within a certain tolerance.

Im a super geek when it comes to geo, so when you’re ready to take ads give me a shout. ben@birdmtb.co.uk.

PS love it.

pablogt
    Free Member

Like the site. Is it just numbers entered into field or is there some kind of formula behind it? I ask as it would be good to maybe allow +/- 20mm fork adjustment but with it linked so all the relevant numbers change when you adjust your fork height.

Can see it being a useful tool.

ampthill

Its a go idea.

But I think you need to be able to compare more bikes and or sizes

Maybe if you register it could allow favourites or if it was an App you buy the App and hen have favourites

Could we search by the geometry that we want. So say I entered my preferred reach and stack it would then rank bikes by how close they were to my preference

PS could you fund this by allowing click through to purchase and get a kick back from the retailer? (I think alot of photography review websites are funded like that)

tomaso
    Free Member

Looks handy but it is only level 1 geometry geekery. You need to be able to experiment with different forks axle to crown, off set bushes, anglesets etc to get into working how to ruin a perfectly adequate bike.

robertgray05
    Free Member

Cheers all for the comments and ideas. We’ve noted them all – some we can and will do quickly, some will go on the long term wish list! 😉

robertgray05
    Free Member

A bit of a status update for those interested…
    – When adding a bike, can now paste in a geometry table (e.g. from manuf website) and it interprets it pretty damn well
    – Lots more parameters enabled, like suspension travel, shock size, recommended height
    – Lots more bikes added (we’re now over 900)
    – …and I have a backlog of spreadsheets to bulk upload from interested manufacturers!
    – Miscellaneous user experience tweaks to make it more betterer[/*]

Have a look here, give it a go, and let me know what you think!

Cheers 🙂

Bob

edit – list formatting went weird

gray

Do you actually calculate any geometry values or just tabulate stuff that’s entered? When choosing my road bike I gathered data from a load of brands who specified the geometry in different partial sets of the values that I wanted, so I wrote some software to calculate consistent data. I also added the facility to tweak things like stem length and rise, saddle position, headset spacers so that I could virtually experiment and see how the positions of the contact points varied. Essentially I was looking to replicate my existing position. I generated basic graphical representations too so that I could jiggle stuff around and flick between bikes/setups. Would be a decent amount of work to replicate more prettily and bulletproofedly (yes that’s a word!), but if you want to make it easy for people to translate tables into something more relate-able then you might consider doing something similar.

Mine looks like this:

kayak23

It’s good. Nice for when you are considering various frames, or at least it will be when it’s got lots on it.

I just added the two frames I’ve got Production Privee Shan/Oka……but, I suppose the issue can be that the information is unverified. The user can enter any numbers they want, so I suppose you would always need to double check anyway.

Nice work though.
    🙂

andybrad

no option ti add a liteville

robertgray05
    Free Member

Cheers all.

@gray – at the moment it’s only data that’s been added. We’re thinking about calculated values. The idea of a graphical overlay keeps coming up. We were playing with it at the weekend in CAD, but my worry is that assumptions will need to be made that could be significant – e.g. headset cup height would affect head angle significantly, sagged or unsagged geometry… We have an update in the works to do a better job of ‘explaining’ the differences on the compare page, but it’s not yet properly visual. Your tool looks awesome.

@Kayak23 – yes anyone can add anything. Anyone can also edit anything, and hopefully most people will add a link to the source so we can catch typos etc! We do store revision history behind the scenes too. We also have plans for some pretty sophisticated error-checking based on statistics around the parameters, but that’s for another day!

@andybrad – thanks. I’ll add it to the dropdown list later! In future it will learn as folks add new brands and remember them. For now, you can still type in Liteville and it’ll work fine.

stevied
    Free Member

There’s a useful tool on the Liteville site for working out their bike geometry. Can this be added?

http://www.liteville.com/configurator/?language=en

Just added my 601 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Might be useful to be able to add a note on the geometry.
    Eg my frame has a adjustable geometry. Would be useful to be able to say which setting the geometry relates to.

robertgray05
    Free Member

@stevieid – that configurator is cool! We’ll see what we can learn from it. And yes, we’re THIS CLOSE to being able to add free-text notes 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

that configurator is cool

Thought you might like it 😉
    I’ve spent ages playing around with it.

gray

The idea of a graphical overlay keeps coming up. We were playing with it at the weekend in CAD, but my worry is that assumptions will need to be made that could be significant – e.g. headset cup height would affect head angle significantly, sagged or unsagged geometry…

Yes – I included headset stack (lower and upper), but often estimated them from images on the manufactures’ websites. Same for stem length and angle, which aren’t always specified. For me it was mainly about ensuring that a given design / size was going to be sufficiently in the ball park that I’d be able to tweak easily enough to fit. I set the seat height based on my current bike, and could then replicate that on an arbitrary design, and see how shifting the saddle back and forth, changing the headset spacers, stem length etc. would affect the saddle-bar drop and saddle reach. Was interesting, and my new bike fits fine 🙂

I do like what you’ve done so far, by the way – not sure if I mentioned that!

upshift
    Free Member

Just used it to compare an Aeris and a Trance – interesting to see some similarities and big differences!

Thinking ahead I wonder if a potential revenue stream is to allow bike stores to pull through your data for their own sites, which you licence on a monthly/yearly basis?

If you could develop further to add a bike suggestion feature that’d be really interesting. Enter a your current bike, go through a few tick boxes (“I want more stability off road” for example) and have your service find bikes with geometries that match.

The real value is in collating all that data, then you can exploit it in a number of ways.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Geometry Geeks – we made a thing’ is closed to new replies.