Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Gear Cables – What do you use??
  • mattbilliard
    Free Member

I need to buy some gear cables for my new build. I used to use Gore ride on cables but can’t seam to find any in black. So I wondered what you guys use and what would you recommend??

Thanks
    Matt

Frankers
    Free Member

I’ve one bike with Gore the other with normal Shimano SP41 and can’t really tell the difference between the two

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Sp41 with txt cables works a treat for me:))

oxym0r0n

Goodridge inner and outer works for me or xtr sealed I have used in the past

robhughes
    Free Member

Jagwire ripcord inners here.Superb and don’t stretch at all.

nickc

Teflon coated inners and SP41.

cp

Shimano bog standard inners and Sp41 outer here. Works a treat!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Gore are no more I am afraid, hence why you are struggling to find them.

z1ppy

Got some Jagwire outer (got a good offer) and super slippy 1.1mm gear cables (always fancied try them) to give a go, have used SP41 and any old gear cable upto now without issues though

eshershore
    Free Member

teflon-coated shimano inner cable and SP-41 outer cable with Shimano cable end caps (including the all important aluminium alloy cap at the derailleur end)

use this on all my bikes: road, hybrid and mountain

cannot go wrong really?

ruffride
    Free Member

Clarks cheap an work just lube them the odd time

unovolo
    Free Member

Jagwire outers with stainless inners normally from Decathlon.
    Never had any problems with this set up , I normally pull the inners over a wax candle to pre lube them.
    On a side note the now deceased Gore cables were made in the Jagwire factory.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use the transfil sealed ones and they are excellent, cheap too.

tmb467
    Free Member

Goodridge here as well. Great

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cheapo outer off Ebay and gear cable from Halfords but I put Middleburn cable oilers in the lines too so I can Jet wash grime out with GT85 as well as lubricate the cables.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve used gore cables and have to say shimano sp 41 full length routers with cheap 1.1mm inners pi55 all over them.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

The cheap shimano set around 20 quid, set it up with the various rubber seal bits and you won’t need to touch it for a year.

Northwind

I’m just using SP41 off the roll, and cheapo inners- I bought a couple of Shimano kits a while back and I reckon I’ll be using the sealed cable ends and ferrules forever.

andrewh
    Free Member

Full length Alligator mini i-linka.
    Need next to no attention once installed and very very light. Not cheap but last for ages so still good VFM.

deadkenny
    Free Member

SP41 outers, cheap inners. Forget branded, Teflon coated, pre stretched and various other fancy inner treatments. Makes sod all difference with a good quality lubed outer (that SP41 is).

Full outers ideally, if off road (I qualify that as I know there are tonnes of people here only in it for roadie chat for some bizarre reason on a forum called *Singletrack* World but anyway 😉 ).

Good quality hard ferrules. Bendy rubbery ones are fine but they split easily and the outer frays.

transporter13
    Free Member

Always used clarks full length gear cables. Cheaps as chips (£4@ halfords)
    A little bit of fork oil/bearing grease on the cable before installation and they’re as good as anything out there.

JoeG
    Free Member

Shimano SP41 housing and cables with sealed end caps and Jagwire housing liner between them. All available at my LBS. I discard the rubber part of the Shimano caps as the cable is covered by the Jagwire liner.

Edit – and the rubber wormy thing from Gore cables at the derailleur end!

RockWallaby
    Free Member

The Transfil Flying Snake are the business as I have been running the same set of gear cables now for four years without any issues. They are a three part system the wire, then an sleave that goes completely over the wire and then the outer. I have converted a number of mates to these cables and all are happy with them.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yokozuna reaction.
    Just to be different from everyone else

dickie
    Free Member

For full outer routing, standard Shimano outer & stainless steel inner with a Middleburn Cable Oiler 50mm after the shifter & one on the chainstay just after the BB area.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Gear Cables – What do you use??’ is closed to new replies.