• This topic has 62 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • GDPR Day – What’s going to happen here?
  • scotroutes

Mark – I got logged out and managed to log back in without the consent pop-up.

Drac

Me too on my iPad tried clearing cookies too.

Unless it’s some sort of roll out?

rene59
    Free Member

I would like to have my account and all personal details permanently removed and deleted including all posts I have made where someone could identify me through the details contained within those posts.

I would also like to be erased permantly from the memory of anyone who has ever seen any of the above or who may have seen any of the above but can’t remember just now but who may possibly recall such a memory at anytime in the future.

OK?

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’d be better off deleting yourself 🤡

Mark

It has nothing to do with being logged in or not. You consent once and it remembers your consent options every time you visit until you decide to change your consent by removing the cookie.

It would be a total shit shower if you had to consent every time you login.

andybrad

opted out.

but still get the popup.

rene59
    Free Member

You’d be better off deleting yourself

😀 Unintended consequences…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I opted out of targeted ads and then clicked through to a second screen listing partners, i had to select one from that list, it wouldn’t seem to let me reject all of those without bumping me back. Seemed odd.

Mark

There’s issues AOL’s consent manager so we are turning it off for now until they can fix it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to be you today!

docgeoffyjones

Could someone please get back to me about the trousers?

kelvin

Good initial post Mark… and nicely handled with the problems so far. A tough day. Hugs.

footflaps

I’d like to bet 99.9% of my posting has the same IP, Footflaps. It protects me from some of the stuff people moan about as it’s French. Other foreign users have also noted imunity to some of the most intrusive ads.

Possibly they do, but unless you’ve specifically bought a subnet, you don’t actually control your IP and it’s registered to your ISP not you, so it’s not a unique identifier. Anyone, on your LAN will exit your DSL router with the same IP address and be indistinguishable once the traffic has left your DSL router and entered the internet proper. ISPs tend to keep IPs the same per DSL user but they do move around. This is why websites use things like Cookies and go to great lengths to try and identify unique browsers  etc (eg by reading settings) as the IP address is pretty useless for identifying people.

Drac

I’d like to bet 99.9% of my posting has the same IP, Footflaps.

It’s 20%.

Edukator
    Free Member

Seriously, Drac? Thanks for checking if so. Whenever I’ve checked it’s been the same IP. The last time it changed was when I went from copper to fibre. I don’t use mobile because it’s unusable without a P and often even with a P it seems.

sadexpunk

ive not seen a pop-up all day.  i read it may only happen when logging out and in, so did that on my phone (so i could still be logged in on laptop if i needed to ask any questions) but still didnt get any prompts.  i dont mind if it stays that way 🙂

Drac

Yeah your more recent is, the highest is about 40% for a previous one you’ve posted here for years remember. I guess your isp changes it or like some others a hub reset does.

/posted on my mobile.

Mark

Here’s the state of play at the end of day one of GDPR.

Our Consent Management System provided by our AOL provider failed. So we are junking it.

In fact we are moving from AOL entirely and switching to a new provider from a company called Freestar

As part of that we will be delivering ads via a company called ZeroID

ZeroID don’t target ads to individuals. Instead they target websites. This means no personal data will be passed through the ads and so we won’t need a CMP to comply with GDPR. I have no idea how this will affect our revenue until we try it. I’m hoping it will be better. It will certainly be better from a personal data POV.

We have the option to include a CMP that will let you decide to allow targeted ads. But the default condition will be targeting set to off. You will be given the option to be targeted by ads if you want. We may earn more from those ads, we may not. We will see.

Our new Privacy Policy is now up. Next Friday our site consent system will ask you to agree to it. There will also be a data policy published and new terms and conditions policy. I think then we will have covered everything until some company gets tested and we find out exactly what it all means. For now though the site will stay as it is until next Friday. Mainly because it’s Fort Bill next week and the office is on a skeleton crew.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d like to bet 99.9% of my posting has the same IP, Footflaps. It protects me from some of the stuff people moan about as it’s French.

I don’t  always bother with a VPN and never when visiting STW, but I’ve been known to reside in the Vatican and a large secure facility in Quantico…

IP isn’t a very reliable way of finding people who would prefer they weren’t unless you have extremely low level access and you’re generally in a lot of trouble already before that becomes relevant.

vincienup
    Free Member

Honest question.

It has nothing to do with being logged in or not. You consent once and it remembers your consent options every time you visit until you decide to change your consent by removing the cookie.

It would be a total shit shower if you had to consent every time you login

What if you habitually login from different devices as you move around and/or have your ‘home’ devices set to burn your history and delete cookies on exit – which is a reasonable first step towards personal security and a general recommendation in many places? (The delete on exit not the nomadic behaviour)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like Marks position on the interpretation of the new rules and his approach to the current conflict on how to apply these new rules.

Seems both logical and a sensible approach from both STW and us the user.

Good effort, no doubt it’s been an interesting few weeks behind the scenes.

Cheers

Mark

Woke up to a 30% drop in ad rates, so…

Our subscriptions are really good value. Just sayin’

😉

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘GDPR Day – What’s going to happen here?’ is closed to new replies.