Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garmin Edge 705 help
  • hotcharge
    Free Member

anyone know how to save rides from Garmin Connect to the unit (dont have sd card ) but just been given the 705 as an Xmas gift. I have downloaded some local rides but I can only find them in Training menu rather than a GPX saved route?
    Is it also worth downloading the Garmin Topo map for uk or go to Memory Map and download their maps?
    Help

Dasha
    Free Member

You can only put topo on the device, unless there are new third party compatible maps that have been made recently available. Mapsource is shite for route planning though-Trackslogs and Memory Map are much better tools.

hotcharge
    Free Member

Cheers, just ordered top for southern region. Do i then need to get memory map software of just use the garmin website for uploaded routes.

jamieandangela
    Free Member

Hotcharge

I think my email address is in my profile, drop me an email as I think I can help you out

Cheers
    Jamie

Gephaudio
    Free Member

Try using wwww.mapmyride.com as I have used this for loading the route for the Southdowns way, also if your are planning to go abroad it is also useful. Does the unit have cadence and heart rate functions?

BigJohn

The best format to use as a route to follow on a 705 is a course (.crs). Use GPSBabel or get some 3rd party software like GPX2CRS.exe to do this.

Its a right pain to convert GPX files to CRS files, but once they're in they're super accurate and easy to follow (from within the training menu on the 705

mr_stru

I use the maps here and they seem good: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

I have an SD card in mine but I copy it across over USB so perhaps you can do this without an SD card. They're based on the openstreetmap maps so are possibly not as complete but they do have topo and are routable. I've only really made use of them on the road though. The chief advantage of them is that they're free.

Last time I needed to create a route I used http://www.bikehike.co.uk/. Think I just double clicked on the saved tcx file and the garmin software did the rest. This is all on a mac so YMMV.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 705 help’ is closed to new replies.