Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • garden design
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Does the STW masses know of any good online or free garden design software. Thinking of doing a few raised beds, patio area etc but would like to plan out a few ideas before I start buying or digging

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Pencil + paper? It’s just a garden! (and I’m a gardener).

bigyim
    Free Member

im no artist!! Im not too good at visualising the end product

cbike
    Free Member

Graph paper if feeling decadent.

Google is the best way to find software.

juanking

We basically redid the whole back garden last year after having building work done. I used sketchup because found it handy to add different colours etc to try and get a feel for it. Most importantly for me did it in scale so used it to help quantify the amount of turf, top soil, paving etc that would be required.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Also interested in this as my new back garden is a complete blank canvas.

kayak23

Google Sketchup with plenty of YouTube tutorials.

thepurist

Used to do it for a “living”. SketchUp is a great place to start, but suggest you do a bit of reading about design first. John Brookes’ books are probably well suited to a typical small garden.

Albanach
    Free Member

What would be the going rate for someone to design a garden? Size wise we are talking approximately 0.5 acres

thepurist

Albanach – it’s a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, like asking how much it’d be for an architect to design a house on the same plot. Also depends where in the country you are. That London’s probably a bit more pricey than mid Wales.

You’ll get the ‘design and build’ companies who will do the design for nothing (then include the cost in the construction), the ‘pretty drawing’ type of designers who’ll do a sketch then hand it over to someone to (try to) make sense of, the ‘full service’ designers who will do an initial sketch then follow up with detailed layout plans for contractors, planting plans etc, and finally the ‘chartered’ designers who will do the same sort of thing but have ‘MSGD’ after their name which means they’re accredited members of the Society of Garden Designers.

On .5 acre you’ll probably need a topographical survey at some point in the process which would be a few hundred quid. I used to charge a flat rate for getting to an agreed sketch plan, then an hourly rate after that for the setting out plans, tendering, site visits, planting plans etc. Others charge differently – some even charge to come out to meet you so you can decide if you want to employ them!

It’s been a few years since I was involved but for 0.5 acre I’d expect current design fees to range anywhere up to 3 or 4K+ for a full service, up to 1500ish(?) for the initial plan. Build costs for something that size will be another consideration – you’re looking at the cost of a new (quality) kitchen as a minimum. I’ve done large projects where we split the build into phases over a couple of years so clients didn’t have to cough it all up in one go.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just bung some paving slabs on it all.

Albanach
    Free Member

Very helpful purist…cheers!

spooky_b329

Sketchup.

Very good for working out how many sleepers you need for this:

wrightyson
    Free Member

Like the sleepers spooky. What that cost all in. Have similar thing to tackle. Debating white rendered wall at the moment tho same as the house then a dark paver.

thepurist

wrightyson – softwood (ie cheaper) sleepers will eventually decay (10-15 years) then you’ve got a lot of work to reinstate the wall. Hardwood eg. oak would last longer, or you can make a blockwork wall then clad it with timber for the same look. White render looks great when fresh but will need repainting to stay crisp. Rock filled gabions work well too (but only fill the exposed faces with decent stone).

spooky_b329

I originally wanted rock filled gabions but the extra effort to hand dig that extra half metre of virgin chalk put me off I’d already dug it back from a half metre height close to the house!

The sleepers are backfilled with weed membrane and gravel to keep them as dry as possible, when they do go, it shouldn’t be too bad doing a like for like replacement, or put in some footings and a block wall.

Think the sleepers and screws cost around £1,000, same again for the limestone patio. Probably another £1.5k for the assorted tool hire, (whacker plate for the top of the garden, 110v breaker for old concrete paths, mixer, turf, several tons of gravel/sand/cement, and a second circular patio at the top of the garden. And four months of hard labour.

thepurist

Wasn’t dissing your efforts spooky – looks like a proper job & I know how much hard labour there is in that sort of thing. That’s usually the biggest surprise for clients. They’ve been educated by the telly to think 3 people can do the job in a weekend, so are initially a bit surprised that it’s going to take a team of contractors 4-6 weeks. Took me & MrsP a year to do our place…

spooky_b329

no ‘dissing’ assumed…just thought it was worth expanding on the longetivity of the sleepers. the ones alongside the steps have soil behind them and they often stay damp for a good while after rain.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My “white render” will be monocouche so no painting req’d. I’m reasonably up on the whole ground works thingy 😉 but was just wondering the cost of the sleepers. However, very nice job spooky, looks great.

bigyim
    Free Member

That looks great spooky. I can dream of a garden that big!

I’ll give the sketch up programme a whirl and see what monstrosity I can come up with

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘garden design’ is closed to new replies.