Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Garage playing silly buggers on car deposit refund !!
  • renton
    Free Member

As you all probably know we have been on the lookout for anew car and around the 15th December we found one that we thought fitted the bill. After speaking to the salesman via phone on the 18th December we put down a deposit to hold the car until we could get down to the garage as it was 9 hours away(although due to travelling south for xmas to see relatives the garage is only 30 mins from them )

We put the deposit down with the condition that it was fully refundable if the car wasn’t as described which the salesman agreed to.

Fast forward to the 21st December we go to view the car and are passed onto another salesman as the original wasn’t in on the day.

The car clearly wasn’t as described as it was dented and marked and had scuffed alloys etc. The salesman who showed us around the car acted quite embarrassed by the condition of it and commented that the car we were px ing was in better condition.

Therefore he promised us a refund would be done the next day.

Fast forward tot today and after many promises of it being done and promised calls back it hasn’t happened.

Luckily we paid by credit car and having spoken to them today they are sending paperwork out for us to fill in so we can get a “chargeback” The credit card chap said in the meantime try contacting the garage again and see what they say which I did and the chap I spoke to this time remembered me as was quite shocked (probably acting) that we hadnt had it back !!!

Im absolutely fuming over it.

The garage kept blagging me saying it had been done but then why did the original sales chap email asking for car details on the 5th so he could do it yet still hasnt !! 😐

DezB
    Free Member

Annoying! But one of the reasons I’ll only buy from a local dealer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok I will be the first of many (on this particular thread, disregarding the one before) why the hell did you put a deposit down on a car you hadnt even seen 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dunc, to hold it, as has been explained. On the basis that the car is as described, and if it is they have a sale. That’s the verbal contract. It wasn’t met so the deposit is due for a refund.

I’ve done exactly the same on a motorbike. For me it all panned out nicely though.

renton
    Free Member

Never does seem to for me PP

johndoh
    Free Member

why the hell did you put a deposit down on a car you hadnt even seen

I thought the reasoning was made quite clear in the OP myself.

hora
    Free Member

Ok I will be the first of many (on this particular thread, disregarding the one before) why the hell did you put a deposit down on a car you hadnt even seen

I used to do this. Partly as I was 100% there from the information provided and the distance I was about to set off on.

After a couple of instances of salesmen hoping you’d bite the bullet and take it though I simply said ‘if its still there its still there mate’. I drove from Manchester to Bridport like this to buy my current car.

Distance reg’s cover this though don’t they in Rentons case?

fasthaggis

OP
    You need a new supply of Lucky White Heather.

servo
    Free Member

It is an annoying situation but just let the credit card company handle it. I had an issue about a refund for some hope wheels that were never in stock after I had paid. Eventually I rang the shop and they agreed that they would refund me. After 3 weeks, no refund so rang the credit card company and then almost instant refund.

hora
    Free Member

OP
    You need a new supply of Lucky White Heather.

Or step away from buying cars.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ok I will be the first of many (on this particular thread, disregarding the one before) why the hell did you put a deposit down on a car you hadnt even seen

from the OP
    We put the deposit down with the condition that it was fully refundable if the car wasn’t as described which the salesman agreed to.

Which bit are you struggling with?

hora
    Free Member

Renton it wasn’t Arnold Clark was it? 😯 if it is.

renton
    Free Member

No it was a large motor group down in gloucester/bristol area.

Wessex garages.

oliwb
    Free Member

FWIW, the last 4 vehicles I’ve bought have all been bought unseen from a distance. My understanding (although thankfully I’ve never needed to try it) is that you’re covered under the distance selling regulations. Some dealers I’ve used in the past have even stated as much – presumably to encourage me to purchase. I would suggest a citizens advice and maybe speak to them pointing out your rights under the distance selling regulations. I’d also point out that since it was paid for by credit card that they’re going to end up refunding you either way. One way would be simple for them, the other would involve CC companies and will probably get messy!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

credit card company will sort you out,
    but I’ll jump on the disbelief bandwaggon too if I may…
    I’d never offer any commitment at all until we’d thrashed out the deal in full. It’s going to be very difficult to get money off, more stuff thrown in, or more for a trade in if you’ve already said you’ll have it.

hora
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump sometimes the car is sold/a deposit taken within minutes of your call ..genuinely if it is a decent and sort after example of a car.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

not saying it doesn’t happen ever, just that it’s only a small risk.

chakaping
    Free Member

I clicked looking forward to another instalment of your dramatic exploits, but you’ve already sorted it out…

Luckily we paid by credit car and having spoken to them today they are sending paperwork out for us to fill in so we can get a “chargeback”

🙁

cloudnine
    Free Member

Name and shame about the awful service.
    Hit their FB and Twitter feeds

renton
    Free Member

Ha Ha sorry to disappoint chakaping !!

the-muffin-man

The ‘why pay a deposit’ thing has already been well covered, but why were you even considering buying a car from a dealer 9 hours away!

Would you be driving (or not if it was broke!) another 9 hours to get a problem fixed?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Garage playing silly buggers on car deposit refund !!’ is closed to new replies.