Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • front mech shifts in stand, not on road
  • gordonb
    Free Member

Help…. brain hurts….

Trying to fix a mates roadie, front mech pops up and down happily in the stand, however refuses to shift up from small to big ring on the compact when riding up and down the street.

Whats gone wrong???

Ta

Gordon

jam-bo

Clamping the cable in the stand?

gordonb
    Free Member

No, clamping the bike by the seat post.

Thanks anyway. .. im tired enough that it could have been that simple

gordonb
    Free Member

A bump for the day crowd

iainc

The only difference sounds like the load from pedalling which suggests that it doesn’t have enough movement to shift the chain under load. Is the indexing set up right ? Maybe it needs a bit more movement on the high screw ?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I actually have the opposite, wont shift properly on the stand but very fine on the trails .. As long as its working i gave up asking. Sorry my comment doesnt help

edlong
    Free Member

Is it a heavy rider and a light bike? Is it possible that there’s enough flex with the rider on board to change the cable tension? Seems unlikely though..

antigee

drives me mad when stuff like that goes on – some sort of almighty competence test, my only suggestion would be how do the handlebars “fall” when in the stand? are they as you would ride? straight on or do they adopt an off centre position?

is the cable routing ok and correct outer length/undamaged?

rickon
    Free Member

set it up on the road. pedal around, adjust, pedal etc.

m360
    Free Member

Had this in the past. Never quite got it right until I angled the mech slightly (rotated it clockwise around the seat post as you look down on it). Fixed the problem. I only know as I moved the mech recently as part of a service and forgot that’s what I’d done. Took me a while to remember!

shedfull
    Free Member

Is it a full suspension bike? If so, the front mech position relative to the chain changes when the rider is on the bike, sagging the suspension. You can only set up a front mech on some bikes by getting it roughly right in the stand then going for a ride round a car park with a bunch of tools in your pocket.

What bike is it and which cranks, mechs and shifters?

m360
    Free Member

Is it a full suspension bike?

I know things have moved on in recent years, and some road bikes even have disc brake, but I doubt it…

Trying to fix a mates roadie

😆

gordonb
    Free Member

M360, it really is my mates, and I have a road bike as well as my mtbs.
    I’m a bi-cyclist! !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘front mech shifts in stand, not on road’ is closed to new replies.