Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 295 total)
  • The Suarez nearest the bull ban length game
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

What is so particularly heinous about it?

If you have to ask – you’re never going to understand the answer….. 🙄

edit: I’ll try to explain. Biting is wrong – it’s something animals do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

his grandmother, Lila Piriz Da Rosa, said her grandson had been treated like “a dog”.

They put down dogs that bite.

MSP

If you have to ask – you’re never going to understand the answer…..

edit: I’ll try to explain. Biting is wrong – it’s something animals do.

So is raking someone with your studs, kicking someone, elbowing someone etc etc, what makes biting so heinous (your word) it needs to be treated in some special way.

It really is just an excuse to come over all outraged

ratnips
    Free Member

A player will cheat in the final to get the winning penalty and they’ll all be lauding his achievements!

Gordon Strachan has called it about right on Football…

“We give Uruguay/Liverpool stick about defending [Suarez], but every manager defends his player.

“People talk about morals – we don’t have any morals in football. Let’s get that right.

“Over the years I have played there has been wife-batterers, drink driving incidents, infidelity, Eric Cantona jumping into the crowd and kung-fu-ing someone in the chest.

“The clubs stand by them.

“The supporters themselves, when these guys come back, they stand up and applaud them on the pitch.

“So don’t anybody start talking about morals – we don’t have any in football.

binners

I’m not outraged more than with any of the other bonkers things that happen in football. But this is clearly THE most bonkers, as the other stuff is normally explicable for whatever reasons eventually. The whole thing just really intrigues me.

To me, the biting is as totally fruit-loop as walking up to someone random and gaving them a wedgie! Or a Chinese burn. Its just completely hat-stand behaviour.

I sometimes suspect he’s some form of elaborate installation artwork, and social experiment, rolled into one. The whole thing is just decidedly odd

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“We give Uruguay/Liverpool stick about defending [Suarez], but every manager defends his player.

“People talk about morals – we don’t have any morals in football. Let’s get that right.

“Over the years I have played there has been wife-batterers, drink driving incidents, infidelity, Eric Cantona jumping into the crowd and kung-fu-ing someone in the chest.

“The clubs stand by them.

“The supporters themselves, when these guys come back, they stand up and applaud them on the pitch.

“So don’t anybody start talking about morals – we don’t have any in football.

If that’s an accurate quote, amen to that.

Don’t get me wrong, I abhor biting in any sport, and it does “seem” worse than a dodgy tackle, but the levels of hypocrisy shown in the outrage, especially of players like Mills and Shearer who were dirty bastards when they played (although, Shearer was targeted by every defender he came up against so had to stick up for himself…which is some kind of mitigation) and moreso on this thread, using it as a platform to slag off the team who employs him with faux-apoplexy and ridiculous melodramatic over-statement is hilarious.*

* not in a funny ha-ha sense.

muggomagic

I think Uruguay were getting stick because they denied it even happened. Liverpool didn’t defend him when he did it to Ivanovic. He apologised to Ivanovic and Brendan Rogers said he had let down everyone and that he owed it to the club and supporters to prove his worth and change his ways. Which up until Tuesday, he had done quite well.

I must admit I applauded Eric Cantona for kicking the Palace prick. You often hear of people saying about footballers “if he did that in the street…….” Well if you stood there verbally abusing someone in the street, you may well get a kicking. It’s the same to all these fragile supporters that make complaints about players sticking their fingers up at them or celebrating in front of them when they’ve been hurling abuse at them all game.

dragon
    Free Member

Worse he wasn’t even provoked just bit the defender for no reason at all.

I just can’t see how you can defend a guy who has no bitten 3 people on the pitch, it’s just wrong.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Worse he wasn’t even provoked

Did you watch the game? He’d been provoked all game, just not in that instance. Which is strange really – one would never expect the Italian football team to employ such tactics…they’ve never really done that kind of thing. Provocation is no excuse, of course, unless it’s a supporter hurling abuse…it seems.

I just can’t see how you can defend a guy who has no bitten 3 people on the pitch, it’s just wrong.

I haven’t seen anyone defending it, per se. I see some people trying to see through all the faux-outrage and melodramatic ranting though.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

If Suarez had just turned round and punched him, there’d have been much less outrage. Yes, it may still have been wrong of him, and yes, he’d have still got a suspension, but I personally don’t feel it would have caused as much controversy. The biting thing is just, well, weird. Sorry I can’t come up with a more descriptive way of putting it, but it instils a kind of revulsion, a WTF response when you see it.

binners

I must admit I applauded Eric Cantona for kicking the Palace prick.

Same here. He was asking for it! Why the hell should he have to take that? He did it, and accepted the punishment he got for it. He’s since always steadfastly refused to apologise for it, said he deserved it, and he’d do exactly the same thing again!

And it was worth him doing it just for this piece of enigmatic genius….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMVwcxF2Nk[/video]

Compare and contrast…. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for educating me you lot.

Interesting thoughts from those informed, me I don’t follow footy, just suprised by the reaction(s) to this.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@MSP – those offenses are not condoned in rugby (nor is biting), there is a fairly long list of players with 3-6 month bans as a result and its common in rugby to cite players after the match based on video evidence. In fact the sport has special citing-officials who watch the video for that purpose. Football and footballers could learn a lot from Rugby in terms of conduct and respect for the officials.

If that’s what Stachan actually said then I say “very well said sir”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

using it as a platform to slag off the team who employs him

Or defending him for the same reasons DD , bit of both going on.

I see some people trying to see through all the faux-outrage and melodramatic ranting though.

What team do they support 😉
    Biting is like spitting it is just not acceptable or normal behaviour, even in a fight, never mind a football pitch.

FWIW I have no idea why it is so forbidden compared to the other things tbh but it is. Suarez and everyone else knows this. It may be a strange rule [ like the headbut one] but we all know it.
    I am also struggling to name a player who has ever bitten another player never mind a three time offender

Junkyard
    Free Member

Football and footballers could learn a lot from Rugby in terms of conduct and respect for the officials.

How to use fake blood effectively being one of them then?

Rugbyists dont argue with the ref but they cheat at least as much.

ransos
    Free Member

Same here. He was asking for it!

Calling someone some naughty words does not merit a violent assault.

binners

Calling someone some naughty words does not merit a violent assault.

While I admire your zen-like take on the world, if someone ran the length of a road to get up in my face and deliver a tirade of abuse at me, I’d say they wouldn’t have many grounds for complaint if they got a slap for their trouble.

Bravissimo – You must have been watching a different match to me. The Italian defence weren’t provoking him, they were doing their job. Pretty effectively, as it happens. He got no more grief than any other striker got in any other game. They weren’t taking his legs out, putting in crunching challenges, or sneaky elbows, or owt. They were just stopping him playing.

Italian Team in Having a Quite Good Defence Shocka! Who’d have thought that eh?

Thats why the reaction is just so frankly bizarre.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone could argue with him retaliating, for me, it’s not the retaliation, it’s the biting thing. Christ, I applauded Cantona when he kicked that supporter, and would have been ok had Suarez just turned round and chinned the bloke. Either man up, chin him or walk away, don’t bite somebody, for Gods sake. I’d expect it from a kid, but from an adult, not so much. I don’t even see how he could claim it was done in the heat of the moment, seeing as how he’s got previous, the slaaag 😮

ransos
    Free Member

While I admire your zen-like take on the world, if someone ran the length of a road to get up in my face and deliver a tirade of abuse at me, I’d say they wouldn’t have many grounds for complaint if they got a slap for their trouble.

Except he didn’t get in Cantona’s face. We know this because Cantona had to leap into the crowd to get at him.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He ran down 11 rows of stands in the terraces screaming **** off back to France, you French **** [ you have intimate relations with your mother] allegedally

I am not defending what he did but lets at least describe it accurately

theocb
    Free Member

Cantona reacted like a silly child because he had been sent off. Let’s at least describe it accurately.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Charlie bit me…

Junkyard
    Free Member

For sure he was cross with the sending off and he is responsible for his actions childish or otherwise
    Nonetheless had the fan not done what he did it seems unlikely Cantona would have randomally attacked someone.
    Its worth noting the fan was also prosecuted and found guilty of using threatening language and behaviour for his role in the incident

Neither person behaved well that day.

martinhutch

I reckon much of the ‘outrage’ over this isn’t so much because a single instance of biting is apocalyptically bad, but more that he’s done it three times now, which might be seen as pushing his luck somewhat, plus doing unusual stuff at the WC finals (for example England winning a game) delivers a massive effect.

Also, his previous history of pisspoor behaviour at WC finals means that plenty of people are looking for any opportunity to enjoy a bit of karma in action.

D0NK

Biting is like spitting it is just not acceptable or normal behaviour, even in a fight

can we have a list of what’s deemed acceptable in a fight just in case I get jumped by a gang of idiots later*? Would hate to defend myself with unacceptable tactics 🙂

*or more likely a road rager

binners

Take that you dishonourable Uruguayan bounder

Jamie
    Free Member

27/06/2014

Now inside me there’s no feelings of joy, revenge or anger against Suarez for an incident that happened on the pitch and that’s done. There only remain the anger and the disappointment about the match.

At the moment my only thought is for Luis and his family, because they will face a very difficult period.

I have always considered unequivocal the disciplinary interventions by the competent bodies, but at the same time I believe that the proposed formula is excessive. I sincerely hope that he will be allowed, at least, to stay close to his team mates during the games because such a ban is really alienating for a player.

-giorgiochiellini.com

binners

Awwwwwwwwww bless

ransos
    Free Member

Its worth noting the fan was also prosecuted and found guilty of using threatening language and behaviour for his role in the incident

Neither person behaved well that day.

I’m not suggesting otherwise. Others however seem to think violent assault is an acceptable response to being called nasty names.

binners

Its an instinctive reaction thing. Almost subliminal. You learn these things young. Depends on where you went to school, and what you get used too, I suppose? 😉

muggomagic

I’m not suggesting otherwise. Others however seem to think violent assault is an acceptable response to being called nasty names.

It wasn’t that bad. He barely touched him. Now this is what you should do if someone calls you a nasty name.

I think he’d just called Lyoto a big fairy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Depends on…

How much of a keyboard warrior you are.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

So is raking someone with your studs, kicking someone, elbowing someone etc etc, what makes biting so heinous (your word) it needs to be treated in some special way.

I wouldn’t disagree with any of that re studs ,kicking etc, however biting breaks a particular part of moral & social code that the VAST majority find unacceptable….except you that is.

I can’t help but wonder why?

ransos
    Free Member

Its an instinctive reaction thing. Almost subliminal. You learn these things young. Depends on where you went to school, and what you get used too, I suppose?

Yep, that’s why every time a professional footballer takes a corner or throw in, he wades into the crowd to assault the people calling him nasty names.

Oh, wait.

Jamie
    Free Member

The bullshit generator is kicking in early. Suarez to Barcelona, apparently.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

except you that is.

I’d been following your discussion with MSP for a bit…can you point out where he said it was acceptable? I couldn’t find that bit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The bullshit generator is kicking in early. Suarez to Barcelona, apparently.

As I posted earlier interesting that the Liverpool club lawyers are meeting Suarez’s representatives in Barcelona to discus the impact of the ban (rather than Liverpool, London, Brazil or Uruguay for example)

joepose
    Free Member

cannot see that he did actually bite the guy. He was going to but pulled out of it at the point of pushing his teeth against the guy and didn’t clamp down. The guy of course made a big deal of it so Suarez felt he needed to do the same to counteract. If he had of told the truth at that point he would have go off a lot lighter.
    LFC sell him – no way not for 100 million he’s a genius and anyone who says diff is just jealous.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Others however seem to think violent assault is an acceptable response to being called nasty names.

I think what they are saying is that if you decide to call people nasty names it is not that far fetched to think that you will get smacked. Try it down the pub tonight and let us know it works out 😉

Joepose such a weak troll and just as the thread ends

joepose
    Free Member

Junkyard – jealous
    Bite has been digitally enhanced, there was bugger all when it happened. If the truth is weak so be it.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 295 total)

The topic ‘The Suarez nearest the bull ban length game’ is closed to new replies.