Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 242 total)
  • Friday Flame – why do people speed so casually?
  • Cougar

Off topic a bit but one of the types of driver that get me are the ones you overtake between villages because they’re rolling along at 45. Then at the next village you slow to the 30 but they catch up and get right up your chuff because they want to do 45 through the village as well. Fools.

Monospeeders. Surely one of the greatest menaces on the roads today.

Apparently this is all BS… even the moderator another forum user says so!

FTFY.

pondo

[Quote]One of the most useful views of the road ahead is underneath the car[/quote]
    My apologies, I didn’t realise you drove scalextrix.

vickypea
    Free Member

It’s when you are on some random B road and being forced to do 40 when there’s no hazards other than the odd pheasant that would warrant doing a lower speed than 75.

You’re obviously not a road cyclist then

vickypea
    Free Member

I treat 30 and 40 limits as sacrosanct but empty open country roads have places where I’m quite happy to go over the national.

Another one who apparently never rides a bike on the road

councilof10
    Free Member

My apologies, I didn’t realise you drove scalextrix.

If you’re a safe distance from the car in front, you can see daylight underneath and – at times – get a very useful view of the road ahead.

The fact that this seems ridiculous to you reaffirms the value of Advanced Driver training as it is second nature for me to use this and many other techniques to gather as much information as possible.

ADT isn’t about driving fast, it’s about driving safe and in a way that makes your vehicle last longer. Speed is sometimes a byproduct of safe driving.

bikebouy
    Free Member

After our torrential downpours yesterday it’s an absolutely stunning Autumn morning.

Make Progress everyone, and don’t forget the hoot and flick the bird at every other road user that annoys you !!

Stay safe.

😆

pondo

If you’re a safe distance from the car in front, you can see daylight underneath and – at times – get a very useful view of the road ahead.

You said “one of the most useful views…”, which is a bit different to saying it can sometimes be useful. “Sometimes useful” I can agree with.

The fact that this seems ridiculous to you reaffirms the value of Advanced Driver training as it is second nature for me to use this and many other techniques to gather as much information as possible.

What does my opinion on the value of looking underneath the vehicle in front have to do with your own opinion on the quality of your training? You can’t even correctly assess what my opinion is.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I like nothing more than the epic turn-in I get from my T4 when I left foot brake coming into a roundabout. If you can’t left foot brake then don’t tell me you’re an advanced driver.

Oh, and My nan did ADT, it used to reduce the insurance premium, now it just marks you as a bell end.

councilof10
    Free Member

There’s no earthly reason for left foot braking in a manual car, most modern cars lack the torque needed to make the technique of any use whatsoever.

Heel-and-toeing has some uses, particularly in wet conditions, but left foot braking just marks you out as a bellend.

kerley
    Free Member

You’re obviously not a road cyclist then

I am. Whether someone drives by me at 40, 45, or 50 makes no difference to me. As long as they overtake safely. Not into oncoming cars, go to opposite side of road, not before a corner etc,.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

My word….

There are some extreme Lewis Hamilton wannabe bell-ends on this thread…

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I treat 30 and 40 limits as sacrosanct but empty open country roads have places where I’m quite happy to go over the national.

Another one who apparently never rides a bike on the road

No I don’t now but I did and I’ve been knocked off my bike a couple of times, none were because the car/truck was speeding.

This blinkered view that under the limit=safe and over=unsafe is ridiculous and dangerous.

I go no faster than I can see and stop in and never assume that the road is clear. So whatever the hazard, I’m prepared. Knowing what’s going on around you and driving appropriately is crucial to safety for all road users, to say that speed is bad period is nonsense.

rsl1
    Free Member

Road safety material often quotes “it takes X metres to stop from Xmph” but I’ve never found it very relatable until I recently carried out an emergency stop from 100mph on vehicle proving ground training. Genuinely scary how far we travelled before stopping.
    It hasn’t altered my driving habits as I always have left an enormous gap if I want to go above 70, but I think a lot of people on the roads need the shock factor of the above.
    But it can work – in Germany I feel entirely safe above 100 as on the whole appropriate gaps are left and drivers are more aware.

pondo

Not long back from Sicily and driving there is VERY different to here – but because everyone’s on pretty much the same wavelength, it’s not a problem.

poly
    Free Member

cougar – Doing 75 on an empty motorway, not so much

have you considered though that this attitude by individuals and therefore by society as a whole makes “everyone” think speeding is OK and a little bit over the limit is normal, and perhaps not everyone on the roads has the same ability to differentiate when it’s good speeding and bad speeding. As a result does your desire to get somewhere a few minutes quicker sends a message to everyone that it is ok.

Edukator
    Free Member

I go no faster than I can see and stop in and never assume that the road is clear.

You need to be able to stop in about half the distance you can see to be clear. If you don’t, one day you’ll be confronted with a vehicle traveling on the wrong side of the road because it’s going round a cyclist/horse/parked car, overtaking or whatever.

As for left-foot braking, to be effective the brake balance needs setting up with a sufficient rear bias even with forward weight transfer and it needs hours of practice on closed roads with plenty of run off before it makes you any quicker. The car it was most use in was my group N Samba rally on very loose stages. It had very little torque and was kept at 4500 – 7000 rpm. On tarmac I used the technique sparingly as it made marginal brakes even more marginal. I never drive fast enough on public roads for the technique to be of any use whatsoever, it’s used for changing the attitude of a car that’s already drifting – incompatible with sharing the road with others.

From the attitude of the car I was left-foot braking in this pic – Circuit of Ireland = closed road.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Some of you might need to watch this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTt7j7d4G7E[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good point about Sicilian driving, in fact other countries and cultures attitudes to driving in general.

Niece in New Zealand says most drive bumper to bumper, and fast as due to roads being crap and it takes an age to get anywhere… but they all do it and traffic flows “quite” well… she says.

Anyone driven in Dheli ?? 😯

giantalkali
    Free Member

The balance and poise achieved through correct use of left foot braking is sublime, and yes it’s a technique that takes time to learn but it use when ‘pressing on’ cannot be ignored.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Edukator- it looks like you’re under steering into a ditch

Edukator
    Free Member

but it use when ‘pressing on’ cannot be ignored

Couldn’t disagree more. Public roads aren’t the place to press on. And just “pressing on” you aren’t gong to reach the slip angles where left-foot braking makes any difference to trajectory.

You do realise that on road tyres there isn’t the progressive increase in slip angles you get on competition compounds and if you left foot brake hard enough (if the braking balance to the rear allows you which in a modern car is unlikely) to neutralise understeer you’re on a knife edge between neutral drift and spin – with people coming the other way. Mad, stupid, anti-social, murderous.

vickypea
    Free Member

No I don’t now but I did and I’ve been knocked off my bike a couple of times, none were because the car/truck was speeding.

This blinkered view that under the limit=safe and over=unsafe is ridiculous and dangerous.

I think you’ll find that it’s your view that is blinkered. Just because when YOU were knocked off and the reason wasn’t speed, it doesn’t mean that excessive speed (along with arrogance and impatience) isn’t a danger to cyclists (and walkers and horses) on B roads.

giantalkali
    Free Member

without advanced driving techniques such as I have outlined you are doing nothing more than driving like sausages in family cars

Edukator
    Free Member

“Advanced driving techniques” are for race tracks, rally stages, kart circuits… not public roads. There’s no place for them on public roads, literally no place – as in not enough space. If you’re going fast enough to need advanced techniques you’re going too fast for the public road.

There are two important techniques on the road and there’s nothing advanced about them: anticipation and observation. Add a large dose of caution, a measure of restraint, some tolerance and respect for the highway code. All within the ability of every road user.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Speed limits are a blunt tool. Sometimes too fast, sometimes too slow – though that can depend on person, their state (tired etc), the car, the weather, traffic conditions, time of day, visibility etc.

I’ll admit it – I speed. Empty motorway or a nice open A road…
    I often drive far below the limit too.

However, I do drive an MX5 so generally I feel like I’m speeding, when I’m not.
    I do like to stick to 60 round an A road corner though.

giantalkali
    Free Member

This thread is about flouting the rules, once a rule’s broken then ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ or ‘better to be hung for a lion as a lamb’ or ‘a rolling stone gathers no moss’ take your pick.

I’m off to do a handbrake turn

councilof10
    Free Member

giantalkali – Member

without advanced driving techniques such as I have outlined you are doing nothing more than driving like sausages in family cars

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the type of bellend that causes accidents.

You’ve probably read about “left foot braking” and had a go at using your left foot to press the brake with zero understanding about what it does and why you would want to use it.

It’s something I was shown on a track by a professional racing driver, before being told it’s not something one would ever need to do on the road. I was taught to concentrate on rev-matching and heel-and-toeing when necessary, but H&T is not something I do generally – just when having a play so it remains second nature when needed.

Neither LFB or H&T are part of Advanced Driver Training.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Come back when you’ve passed your driving test Councilof1

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that it’s your view that is blinkered. Just because when YOU were knocked off and the reason wasn’t speed, it doesn’t mean that excessive speed (along with arrogance and impatience) isn’t a danger to cyclists (and walkers and horses) on B roads.

Pfft. Go out on a 60mph road and get hit by a car doing 50 and then by a car doing 70 and tell me if you feel the difference.

Yeah I’m being flippant but you completely ignored the bit about driving safely. Slow driving is not automatically safe driving. Fast driving is not automatically dangerous driving. There is an optimum given speed for every scenario but there is only one standard of driving for all of them and that is safe driving.

I’ve driven, I would estimate, 250k miles in my life and have never had any sort of ticket or fine etc. Although I’ve been involved in collisions (one of which maimed my wife for life) I have never been at fault or held liable for any damages. That is not proof of anything and I’m certainly not trying to “show off” but it does rather conflict with your implication of a habit of excessive speed, arrogance and impatience doesn’t it?

Edukator
    Free Member

This thread is about flouting the rules, once a rule’s broken then ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ or ‘better to be hung for a lion as a lamb’ or ‘a rolling stone gathers no moss’ take your pick.

Oh dear.

Lots of handbrake turns, no rules broken:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwFoUBkaaAk[/video]

sbob
    Free Member

councilof10 – Member

Neither LFB or H&T are part of Advanced Driver Training.

Neither are engine braking or speeding, which you’d know if you’d done the IAM course.
    😀
    The fantasist is easy to spot.
    See also anyone that equates “making progress” with speeding.

jam-bo

Is there any other facet of life that makes people so indignant about their right to ignore the law?

Give it another 20yrs and speeding will be viewed in the tsame way drink-driving now is.

Edukator
    Free Member

Hopefully in twenty years time every car will have its speed limited by a limiter tied to a GPS data base. I’d vote for it today.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Hopefully in twenty years we will have driver training and testing which is worth a damn. No, people can’t be forced to drive well but teaching them how to do so in the first place would be be a good start. The current driving test is a joke.

I know I can be better which is why I’m going to do advanced training, I’m just ashamed it’s taken me nearly 20 years to do it.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Hopefully in twenty years private ownership of cars will be restricted

councilof10
    Free Member

sbob – Member

Neither are engine braking or speeding, which you’d know if you’d done the IAM course.

Engine braking is covered in the standard driving test. 🙄

I know I can be better which is why I’m going to do advanced training, I’m just ashamed it’s taken me nearly 20 years to do it.

You’ll really enjoy it, never too late to change habits.

This place never fails to amaze me. Most people are given a driving licence after very rudimentary training, and never feel the need to undergo any other training. VERY few motorists have even had practical tuition on motorways.

And then when someone like myself seeks further training (I thought it would be very useful for my job at the time, which it was), I get ridiculed by people who might only have had a dozen or so driving lessons!

sbob
    Free Member

councilof10 – Member

Engine braking is covered in the standard driving test.

Correct, except you’re taught not to do it. 😆

Brakes to slow, gears to go.

One might select a low gear when faced with a steep downhill gradient, but then that’s maintaining a low speed, not braking down to one.

CountZero

You’ve probably read about “left foot braking” and had a go at using your left foot to press the brake with zero understanding about what it does and why you would want to use it.

I know all about left foot braking, I’ve done it several times when I’ve gone from driving a manual to an automatic and tried putting my left foot on what I was expecting to be the clutch… 😳
    As I drive on average three different vehicles a day, of all sorts of makes and models, from a Smart fourtwo up to a Maserati Ghibli, and 3.5t Transit builder’s trucks and fifteen-seat minibuses, it’s easy to forget for a second what the transmission is.
    It’s particularly embarrassing when there are amused witnesses…
    I also often use engine braking, when I’m following cars where I see the brake lights flashing all the time when entering gentle bends, I’m using the gearbox to maintain pretty much a constant speed, I’ve been doing it pretty much since I got my licence in 1976, and in poor weather conditions, particularly snow, I’ve only had my car slide off the road once, when I touched the brakes at the last moment to turn onto another road, and drifted gently onto a grass verge. I’d used the engine to gradually slow from 30-40ish down to walking pace when I slid.
    I’ll continue to use a process that some seem to think doesn’t work, because it has for all the years I’ve been driving.
    Of course, that’s only with a manual, and a diesel currently, it’s not as effective with a petrol, but I have used it for years in previous cars.

Cougar

“Advanced driving techniques” are for race tracks, rally stages, kart circuits… not public roads. There’s no place for them on public roads, literally no place – as in not enough space. If you’re going fast enough to need advanced techniques you’re going too fast for the public road.

There are two important techniques on the road and there’s nothing advanced about them: anticipation and observation. Add a large dose of caution, a measure of restraint, some tolerance and respect for the highway code. All within the ability of every road user.

I agree totally with everything you’ve just said there, other than the final sentence.

About the only reason I can see to be even mentioning heel-and-toe or left-foot braking on a discussion about road driving is to boost the size of your e-peen. Honestly, it’ll be double declutching next. 🙄 Both “have their uses” sure, but in extraordinary circumstances such as using h&t to get you home after your clutch cable snaps.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the type of bellend that causes accidents.

I’d filed it under “do not feed the troll” TBH. He’s made several out-of-context remarks trying to get a bite now.

funkmasterp

Thank you. If only more people thought this way. A car is a huge weight that can travel very, very fast. A large percentage of people should treat them with way more respect than they do.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 242 total)

The topic ‘Friday Flame – why do people speed so casually?’ is closed to new replies.